Gransnet forums

Chat

Being a moany cow!

(118 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 30-Mar-19 13:32:10

Today while supermarket shopping the checkout lady threw my items past her till far faster than I could possibly pack them. They were piling up on my hands as I tried to put stuff away. I asked her three times to slow down but she ignored me. After she told me the price I was still frantically trying to pack my food into my bags. She drummed her fingers as I did that. There was only one person behind me. No great pressure from them. I was so cross. I'm not slow at packing (or asking her to slow down!)
It's a shop I'm in twice a week and always have pleasant checkout staff. Many elderly people shop there too.
Reader - I complained about her to the manager I met on my way out. Was I being a moany cow?

Jane10 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:17:29

I was back in that shop today and had the usual pleasant service. No sign of the checkout speed merchant!

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Apr-19 19:49:00

I suppose we know most of ours, they have been working there for years.

so it was rather a surprise to go into M&S and be confronted by a grumpy new till person the other week.

notanan2 Tue 02-Apr-19 17:29:11

Why the high expectations though.

I expect till staff to accurately ring up my shopping and give me the correct change. Thats it.

If they work for a chain that demands they act faux friendly and follow a script. Fine. Whatever. Just ring up my shopping and give me my change. I wont hold the awful scripts against them.

If they work at a speedy chain. Also fine. Just crack on with that and give me the right change.

FW1951 Tue 02-Apr-19 17:15:19

Definitely not being a moaney old cow. Sounds like she needs a bit of retraining to provide the service her employers and us as customers expect.

notanan2 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:51:00

I would guess Sealover that its because people who arent social butterflies still have to pay their rent and bills....

Generally retail isnt a "choice" so much as a "needs must" job..

Sealover Tue 02-Apr-19 16:21:46

Why, oh why, do people who can't be pleasant and helpful choose/have jobs that are dealing with the public? I am staggered sometimes and feel like a 'grumpy old woman' when confronted by scenarios as described above.

madmum38 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:07:00

At our Co op they are so rude and unfriendly apart from one that is lovely
Had my brother come to visit and I know he likes a beer so went with my son to get some, at that point I was able to use a mobility scooter but to walk round the shop was difficult so I asked my son who was 24 to get it for me while I waited outside. They refused to serve him as didn’t have ID, he had worked in there with the person who refused a couple of years before hand. I went in to get it and she was so rude and refused to serve me as well. Haven’t been back in there since

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Apr-19 10:05:48

Lilyflower
I have not seen such a hilarious example of 'blame the Tories' in a long time.
That was, presumably addressed to me - if you read my following post you would have seen that I thought I was copying and pasting something from this thread but a previous cut and paste from another thread appeared by mistake.

oh dear, how did that appear on this thread?
I was pasting it on another thread. blush
Please ignore

So - nothing to do with the Tories or Margaret Thatcher or even UKIP

Lilyflower Tue 02-Apr-19 09:44:51

"No, you were not - and if you were then you were in the right!The media have called it the "Ukipization" of the Tory party"

I have not seen such a hilarious example of 'blame the Tories' in a long time.

If not the Tories then a rude member of staff in a supermarket could be blamed on Margaret Thatcher. (She's dead so she can't answer back.) Or maybe it's the fault of Brexit?

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Apr-19 22:19:42

I've never seen anyone use the convenient shelf in Lidl!
We have bags that open up, stay open and fit in the trolley and put the stuff straight into them.
(from Waitrose, btw, not Lidl!)

KatyK Mon 01-Apr-19 16:28:14

Yes jacq I was made aware recently that some people have memory or other problems so I am always patient but as a general rule, have your money ready, bung all your stuff in the trolley and move away.

jacq10 Mon 01-Apr-19 15:16:32

Yes KatyK - there is a shelf in every Aldi store wherever you are in Europe. All the stores are more or less the same layout and the shelf is there with a sign above which, when used, is far better than trying to pack things in a hurry. Even if I have a basket I still just put my items back in the basket and use the shelf - saves upsetting folks around me and makes life easier for the check-out operator. I wouldn't have their job for all the tea in China!!!!!!

KatyK Mon 01-Apr-19 13:44:15

I'm sometimes amazed at how patient checkout operators are. In our local Aldi there is a large grocery packing shelf with a sign above it politely asking customers to pack their bags there for everyone's convenience. Some shoppers are still happy to hold the queue up by packing at the till, fumbling for their money etc.

Jaycee5 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:43:17

Maybe supermarkets should have a slow till like swimming pools sometimes have a slow lane. There are definitely days when I would use one even if I had to queue a little longer.

Mamma66 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:41:16

On the other end of the spectrum, I consciously choose to shop at my local Morrison’s. It is a relatively small store and so does not carry everything I need. However, not only are ALL the staff courteous, friendly and helpful, but they also seem to have a policy of employing staff with a disability and there are three till staff with cochlear implants and /or profoundly deaf. One is only able to lip read. I really like their policy so do 80 to 90% of my shopping there and only top up for the things I can’t get there elsewhere

Saggi Mon 01-Apr-19 10:07:49

Having worked in a supermarket for 21 years I can assure you there’s a reason...we are told we have to do so many items per min/hour on the till...and trouble follows if you don’t reach the speed required. I wouldn’t have thought that smaller stores would be so hard pressed and surely some laxity is allowed....but believe me these big supermarkets have rules and ‘targets’ that have to be met. We were even told not to talk to each other on shop floor ...and holding long conversations with members of public was frowned on. Speed...speed...speed was the order of every day. So glad I’m retired from it all.

grannybuy Mon 01-Apr-19 00:18:36

Many years ago, DD2 worked on the till at weekends at what was then Finefare. She has never been confident, so wasn't the fastest kid on the tills. Apparently the till timed the operators, and they were told if they were too slow, and that they would have to speed up. I imagine this is still the case, unfortunately, and it must be even more difficult ult if they have to fit their spiel in. DD would never have managed that as well!! I find Lidl the worst for this. Their preference being that you don't pack your bags at the till, but at the counter by the windows instead.

llizzie2 Sun 31-Mar-19 23:46:09

No you were not being a 'moany' anything. I would be just the same and so would anyone. It is very bad practice, especially when you cannot be hurried. It would not suit me either. Did you check the bill that you had paid the right amount and that all your items were rung up correctly? Some dishonest people would undercharge their friends and increase yours to keep the till receipts correct. I would find somewhere else to shop. It is the height of rudeness.

Daisyboots Sun 31-Mar-19 23:43:00

Akdi and Lidl checkout staff do have to have a faster check out rate than other supermarkets but they are also better paid because of it.
But Tesco also have a fast "pick" rate for the workers who pick out the items for peoples internet shopping lists. My DGS is doing this at the moment and was getting very frustrated at not reaching it. But after a few weeks it became easier.

Jalima1108 Sun 31-Mar-19 23:19:06

We are very lucky here in Australia in that the staff scan and then pack your goods for you. All you need to do is pick up the bags and put them in your trolley.
Whenever we are there, hondagirl we always remark on this and thank them!
A couple of relatives work in supermarkets there and I think it must be quite exhausting, particularly as they are not young.

GreenGran78 Sun 31-Mar-19 23:16:33

hondagirl. I feel sorry for the Aussie shop staff, when I visit my family over there. It must be tiring to have to stand and do all the packing. I would rather pack my own, though, rather than risk items being squashed by bad packing. I am also appalled at the huge number of plastic bags they use, sometimes putting single items into a bag.
My family take their own re-usable ones, but it makes it more difficult for the staff, having to hang them on the little carousel thingy!

HillyN Sun 31-Mar-19 22:55:01

I don't know if some of you who have trouble keeping up with the check-out operators might find these trolley bags helpful. I use these when shopping at Lidl and you can just drop the goods straight in very quickly. Just a thought.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 31-Mar-19 20:21:42

Jane10.
If the manager, laid down the law to his staff I would be very much surprised. Retail staff wages do not bring queue's waiting for work so I doubt many customer complaints see the light of day.

notanan2 Sun 31-Mar-19 20:19:55

Or if you ask for help before you get to the checkout where it affects the servers rates (and chances of staying in a job) most supermarkets will get a staff member run your shopping through while you sit.

But telling a server to mess up their rates and recieve a warning at the last minute when they have already started putting your shopping through isnt exactly meeting them half way...and IMO justifies a degree of frostiness..

jacq10 Sun 31-Mar-19 20:19:39

This post shows how different we all are! I always take a trolley even if I have only five or six items as I have arthritic hands so therefore the system of packing at a separate shelf at my leisure suits me. Of course it is only Aldi and Lidl where this is provided but in other supermarkets I take my trolley away from the checkout and pack my bag.