Gransnet forums

Chat

YODEL

(30 Posts)
annodomini Thu 04-Apr-19 23:04:46

No, that's not an instruction!
I expect many other gners have had deliveries by Yodel. This week I ordered some plants from Thompson and Morgan which were delivered today by a Yodel courier. the first I knew of it was an email to say that the package had been delivered to a safe place and that a note had been put through my door. All of which was a pack of lies. I have a notice on my front door telling couriers where to put parcels when I'm out - a large green chest beside my back door. I found it on the back doorstep in the pouring rain. I had not heard the courier knocking and there was no note through the door. The package was soaked through but fortunately the plants were in a plastic bag .
This is the second time I have been dissatisfied with Yodel though other couriers, such as Hermes, have always done a good job. I have yet to contact Thompson and Morgan to recommend that they change their courier service!
Has anyone else found Yodel to be useless?

maryeliza54 Thu 04-Apr-19 23:10:19

MN sometimes has threads on Yodel where the general consensus seems to be they are the work of the devil. ??

Tuppnce Thu 04-Apr-19 23:15:08

No problems with Yodel or Hermes and the lovely Mr P Singh from DPD who brings my dog’s frozen food is fast becoming an old friend!

SueDonim Thu 04-Apr-19 23:27:48

My Dh is now on very good terms with the pleasant young Eastern European girl who delivers our cat supplies via Yodel. She even offers to take the heavy box to wherever we want it, though we're not that feeble yet!

Chewbacca Thu 04-Apr-19 23:32:32

The Hermes lady who delivers in my area is brilliant. Always puts parcels in the agreed safe place and a note through the door to tell me. A neighbour wasn't so lucky when Yodel were supposed to deliver his monthly parcel of craft beers though. They emailed him to safe it had been left with a neighbour at number *. Needless to say the neighbour hadn't got it and the craft beer hasn't been seen since.

phoenix Fri 05-Apr-19 07:32:04

My most recent Yodel delivery was erm........ "interesting"!

I came home to find a large box (it contained a folding chair) with "Habitat" emblazoned on it almost blocking the front door, you couldn't miss it.

When I got inside, I found a card on the door mat informing me that my parcel had been left in the porch.

We don't actually have a porch confused

BlueBelle Fri 05-Apr-19 08:07:13

Courier left no card but I got an email saying delivered and signed for as I had left a note on the door to take to a shop next door but one I presumed it was there so I hot footed it to the shop It was not there courier had been to the shop but as the shop owner hadn’t recognised the name he didn’t sign for it (it was a parcel for my daughter) I rang and the parcel was back at the depot BUT what a blatant lie signed and delivered my axxx

BlueBelle Fri 05-Apr-19 08:09:26

Annodomini if you put a note on your door directing to the safe place surely it’s no longer a safe place

Bathsheba Fri 05-Apr-19 08:21:47

We have an altogether different problem with a Yodel delivery driver. This fellow is a friend/relative of a neighbour two doors down and lived with them for some months a couple of years ago. (Causing problems with parking, because he and his partner each had a car, so there were frequently four cars from that one house parked outside using up the very limited number of parking spaces. But that's another story....)

Since he moved out, for some obscure reason he has continued to use their address for his personal deliveries. They both work full time, so the deliveries cannot be made.

Now we are always happy to take in parcels for our neighbours, but a) he is not a neighbour and b) his parcels were coming so thick and fast that we were getting just a little bit fed up with being his personal poste restante hmm. So now, if we're asked to take in a delivery, we always ask to see the addressee and if it's a name we do not recognise as being one of our neighbours we refuse. Is that mean? blush

SpringyChicken Fri 05-Apr-19 08:43:38

I haven’t had any worse experience with yodel than other carriers and it depends greatly on the individual delivery driver.
I have a lot of sympathy with the drivers, they are run ragged to meet targets for ( probably) basic pay, often running in and out of property.

Lily65 Fri 05-Apr-19 09:38:00

I know somebody who delivers. It is an awful job. They are paid very poorly and are under pressure to offload their packages. The company watches their every move. If the packages are stolen from their car they are instantly fired and have to pay for the packages.

MiniMoon Fri 05-Apr-19 10:25:27

My son ordered Christmas presents for his nephews, and they were to be delivered by Yodel. They did deliver all of the packages except for one. This missing parcel was never found! It wasn't delivered here, or left with neighbours. When my son checked it hadn't gone back to the depot either! They were adamant that he had everything. So, where did it go?

Septimia Fri 05-Apr-19 10:39:08

I've not been impressed by Yodel in the past, very unreliable, although the man who currently seems to have this route is better. The Hermes lady is brilliant and I've only had a problem with them once - when her replacement delivered to the wrong house. But we live in a small village and the mistake was quickly rectified. The main problem we have is that, even with satnav, delivery companies often have difficulty finding the right house.

Bathsheba Fri 05-Apr-19 10:48:40

MiniMoon I've heard of this sort of thing before. What can happen is that a delivery consists of, say 7 packages, and the driver brings in 6 and thrusts their little hand held thingy at you for a signature. Unwittingly you've just signed for 7 packages, not noticing that one is missing. Later, when you realise it's not there, you contact them and they insist it's been delivered (they have your signature!).

I've had personal experience of this happening at work, where deliveries were frequently of several boxes, sometimes 20 or more. After being bitten once, I now only ever sign once I've personally counted the packages and read what's on the delivery schedule.

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Apr-19 10:49:11

I had an email yesterday saying my Yodel yesterday was "left in a safe place" apparently.
It was on my doorstep in plain sight. I live on a main road. I have a permanent note on my door asking deliveries to please be taken next door if I'm not in.
Useless.

BUT... Have read that they only pay the delivery workers a few pence per 1st delivery and less for subsequent attempts so it must be tempting to just leave stuff and run.
I feel sorry for people having to work for so little.

Bathsheba Fri 05-Apr-19 10:49:24

That should have read "I've come across this sort of thing", not merely "heard"!

EllanVannin Fri 05-Apr-19 10:55:17

I believe they haven't got a great name after having read somewhere about its deliveries. I think it was once highlighted/ featured on a news programme a while back.

NanaandGrampy Fri 05-Apr-19 13:02:00

My daughter has worked for both Yodel and Hermes and I can tell you its no walk in the park. They pay very very little . If you're a self starter, motivated and the hours work for you then you CAN be good at it but my daughter can tell tales of fellow couriers who are lazy, liars and in some case worse than that.

As a company they are totally price driven and I believe sometimes quote for contracts that they have no hope of fulfilling by the rules.

Mind you to play devils advocate my daughter has been bitten by dogs ( oh he wont hurt you....) , been screamed at , shoved, abused and had people call her at 9/10/11pm wanting to collect parcels that she was unable to deliver or leave in a safe location.

I wouldn't have the job for all the tea in china !!!

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Apr-19 13:24:37

Yes I agree Nag about how dreadful the job is - one reason I’m always happy to take in neighbours parcels is that I know otherwise the poor courier would have to make a return visit for no extra pay. However, we do have a right as customers to expect proper service from these companies.

Squiffy Fri 05-Apr-19 13:44:14

Fortunately, I've only had one questionable 'safe place' delivery - their idea of a safe place, not mine, I hasten to add!! My package was placed inside our household waste bin!

My neighbour and I often take each other's bin out, so the package could easily have ended up in landfill.

NotSpaghetti Fri 12-Apr-19 19:37:45

Had another delivery yesterday - left on doorstep in plain sight again, but the company we bought the stuff from updated us that it had been signed for!

Harris27 Fri 12-Apr-19 19:44:07

My husband after being in good employment was made rdundant and ended up taking driving /delivery job working long hours and late nights terrible time him working me worrying.still has sales job but less worry but works long hours .

Doodle Fri 12-Apr-19 20:14:20

We had dreadful trouble with Yodel one Christmas. It’s not so much the people who do deliveries it’s the environment the company themselves work in that causes the problems.

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-19 21:46:10

I take your point, BlueBelle. My 'safe' place is, at least, dry. As I have no garage and the shed is at the far end of the garden, I don't have much choice. The classic example of poor delivery was when the parcel was left in my recycling bin - luckily not on the collection day.

Oldbat1 Sat 13-Apr-19 21:01:04

Yodel delivery man came today. Had two heavy sacks of dog food delivered. He always asks where I need it putting. Very pleasant helpful man. All our delivery people are very pleasant just as the Royal Mail is.