Gransnet forums

Chat

just need a lil vent!

(34 Posts)
fizzers Sat 06-Apr-19 09:31:06

I've lived in my present house for well over 20 years, on my own, apart from my daughter , who is now grown up and has her own home. approx 5 years ago I started getting mail for someone who I don't know , so I would put not at this address and repost. This would happen every now and again, every couple of months would get a letter for this person, would write on it and repost. So the other night , on locking up I find a card through the door stating that debt collectors had been to discuss a debt ( for the person, not me). Seething I was and rang up and blasted this company over the phone, hopefully that's the end of that because to be honest I don't know what to do next.

Move forward to 3 years ago and I change my mobile contract supplier, within days I'm getting phone calls and texts from banks and debt collecting agencies for sme woman who obviously had a lot of debts, it got so bad I had to threaten Lloyds with the banking ombudsman and I had to go and buy a phone that had the facility to block numbers, it seems to have stopped now

move forward again to last year and I change my TV/broadband supplier and get a new phone number, yeah you guessed it, I've started getting calls for the previous owner of the number, seems they haven't settled their debts either!

I must be most unlucky!

Marg123 Sun 07-Apr-19 18:44:07

Many years ago, we bought a ground floor maisonette. We were awaken at 2am by hammering on the door.

It was the police looking for the previous owner, the police had the place surrounded. It was a very frightening experience in the middle of the night.

Cabbie21 Sun 07-Apr-19 19:14:06

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/post/stop-getting-junk-mail/
Not quite what the OP is asking, but may help.
One point is to refer to the Data Protection Act when asking a company to stop sending you mail and to remove your address from their database.

GillT57 Sun 07-Apr-19 19:16:32

As others have said, sending letters back is what a determined fraudster would do. I once had debt collectors knock at the door of my newly purchased flat, when I showed them the legal paperwork proving that I was now the owner they went away and I heard no more. The people I bought it from had been in a rush to move.......

Quizzer Sun 07-Apr-19 19:42:36

Not as bad as you, but we have had the same thing with our landline number. We have had the number fir 7 years! The previous owner of the number did not live in this house. Recently a local dentist called to say that the lady had left without paying. We don't know where they live now. They may have innocently forgotten to tell people their number has changed, but they seem to be bad payers.

LadyJus Sun 07-Apr-19 23:04:17

I finally snapped last year when I recieved yet another batch of marketing letters for an old tenant. I marked each and every once in bold red letters - DEAD, REMOVE FROM DATABASE.
Since then? Not one single letter for her.....!

jocork Mon 08-Apr-19 06:53:50

After over 15 years in this house I think I've finally stopped getting post for the previous owners but there was nothing untoward - they left a forwarding address and I often see the wife anyway as we are members of the same music society and sing in the same choir so passing things on is no problem.

However we left our forwarding address for the people who bought our old house to use if anything arrived after the redirection ended. Sadly they never used it and I realised I'd lost things when they didn't arrive as expected and I remembered I'd not updated my address for the expected items. I really don't see how difficult it is to forward something, even if it is irritating, and receiving something that way would prompt you to update the sender.

I would be suspicious of a seller who didn't leave a forwarding address as I have always left one - but then I have nothing to hide!

PamGeo Mon 08-Apr-19 20:08:42

My daugher and her partner have tried to register on the electoral roll for my address. I only knew when a letter arrived for her from the local council, as I wasn't expecting anything for anyone but myself I opened it.
The local council said the only reason would be for a credit reference company as they like to check the register and the worse part was if, if she had ticked for it to be private in the same way as ex directory I'd never have known. They were very good and have made a note on my address for future reference. Bad debt is not connected to the address, it is the person and bailiffs are much more reasonable than you think so try not to get stressed over this.

jenpax Mon 15-Apr-19 19:58:38

You can take a redirection order on post for up to 4 years! If you haven’t sorted your post by then I don’t know what to say??‍♀️
Royal Mail say this on their website( as you are right that you are not allowed to open post addressed to someone else)

I've received someone else's mail

If you’ve received mail which has your address, but not your name, this is because we deliver to addresses rather than names. If this does happen, you can put a cross through the address and write 'Not known at this address' or 'No longer lives here' and put it back in a letterbox. Where possible, we’ll return the item to the sender hopefully allowing them to update their records.

If you’ve received a ‘Something for you’ card that’s not in your name, we recommend you dispose of the card and once our retention period has ended we'll return the item to the sender.

If you’ve received mail which isn’t in your name or your address, we're really sorry we've made this mistake and inconvenienced you. We'd like to get the item to the intended recipient as soon as possible and would greatly appreciate your help. Please post the item when you can, you won't need to apply any postage, we’ll then process and deliver it to the correct address.