Gransnet forums

Chat

New kitchen

(8 Posts)
Countrylife Tue 09-Apr-19 12:58:04

Finally we are beginning the new extension knocking down 1960’s addition which was added to twice. We’ve waited since moving 4 years ago and very excited if daunted by all the choices. It’s going to included bathroom, utility, open kitchen dining with cabinet separation and a lounge. It’s big across the back of original 4 room cottage.

Who’s cabinetry to buy, who’s appliances to buy. Only thing I’m positive about is I don’t want any fancy cornice or any frills at all and the oven has to be pyrolytic. After living for 12 years in North America that is one thing I really miss, a seriously good self clean oven.

So any advice would be appreciated, did you have it all done recently who did you use?

Fernbergien Tue 09-Apr-19 14:16:18

Just posted on the other site. We used Howdens. Very good middle of road.

varian Tue 09-Apr-19 15:29:12

Most fitted kitchen companies offer a free design service, so it might be a good idea, if you have the time, to try out several. Nowadays they do CAD presentations showing perspective views which are easier to visualise as some people struggle with plans.

Be aware that although they are all referred to as designers, they are not all equally skilled in understanding your requirements. Some are fundamentally salespeople whose aim is to sell you a very expensive layout. Beware of "special offers" just about to expire, "extra discount if you sign up today". This is pressure selling. You are not obliged to accept any of their offers.

My priorities would be low maintenance- I think you are absolutely right to avoid fancy cornice or frills which just collect dust -and plenty of storage. White gloss units are easy to clean, but beware of dark coloured gloss which shows every fringerprint.

I prefer to avoid handles on doors and find that large deep drawers are easier to find things in than cupboards. You do not need to buy all the extras like skirting boards, which can just be lengths of plywood. If you paint them to match the floor, it gives the units the appearance of "floating".

KatyK Tue 09-Apr-19 16:15:05

We bought ours from B&Q about 4 years ago. They will plan it for you free of charge and give you a plan, with no obligation to buy from them ( well they did at the time we bought ours). We did buy the kitchen from them but got a local man to fit it as B&Q were expensive for fitting

Alima Tue 09-Apr-19 16:37:02

We have a B&Q kitchen too KatyK. They fitted it too, did it on interest free. (Fitters were very expensive locally). We dipped in a stinker, brilliant fitter. Very pleased with it still, 7 years later. Thing is I don’t think B&Q offer the fitting service now.

M0nica Tue 09-Apr-19 16:37:04

DIY kitchens, they have a showroom attached to their factory near Doncaster. They have an immense range and deliver ready assembled at prices on a par with Howdens, Wren etc. www.diy-kitchens.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsfTYk6vD4QIVjr3tCh1YNwdUEAAYASAAEgL27vD_BwE One downpoint, they do not offer design services.

MrsJamJam Tue 09-Apr-19 16:49:40

I will never have another kitchen without big deep pan drawers for pots and for china.
They have made life so much easier. Last year we invested in a v expensive Miele dishwasher and my goodness it is a huge improvement on the old one. I hope it lasts a lifetime.

Countrylife Fri 19-Apr-19 09:08:00

Thanks for the dishwasher advice I have one that is dreadful, it’s a Hoover and hasn’t been much good since day one. I’m forever running it through again and so I’m definitely looking forward to a good one. Miele is now 9n the list!