Gransnet forums

Chat

How to get birds to nest in my bird boxes

(41 Posts)
jeanie99 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:53:05

I have four nesting boxes around the garden.
In all the years we have had them we have had only one pr nesting. The boxes are suitable for smaller birds.
We had turtle doves nest behind a lamp.
Hubby brushes out the boxes and maintains them.
I have seeds and fat balls and water for the birds.
We have all types of birds coming into the garden and they feed and bath in the bird bath so why do they not nest.
I am at a loss.

Callistemon Sun 14-Apr-19 10:54:29

We had a nest box which had a hole just large enough for blue tits who used it for several years but one year we noticed a great tit pecking around the edge of the hole to make it larger and she used it that year. A couple of years ago we had a family of robins in our robin box - but not since, also coal tits nesting in a hole in a wall for several years but no longer.

Obviously there are better mansions around here now.

jaybee66 Sun 14-Apr-19 11:29:38

Have you seen the CJ Wildlife site. They have live webcams inside many boxes or on outside nests and you can watch them LIVE. They are brilliant. There are already lots of eggs that have been laid and several chicks hatched. I catch up on them every day.

Craftycat Sun 14-Apr-19 11:48:47

I found they used our boxes for a couple of years & then although they look them over, they don't nest in them- I'm going to try moving them next year- a bit late now.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Apr-19 12:46:14

Bird boxes or nesting boxes for squirrels must never be painted and should be hung so there is no danger of cats sitting on the roof fishing out baby birds or sitting in front of the box to do the same.

Magpies, too, are a hazard, so no landing spars for birds going in or out, as the magpie, like the cat, will sit there to get hold of the baby birds.

My experience with blue tits is, that if a baby bird dies in the nest, they remember and don't come back to the same box ever again.

Esspee Sun 14-Apr-19 14:30:52

OH bought me a camera for the nest box that had been used on two successive years. We were so looking forward to watching the nest building and eggs hatching on our TV. Since then that box has remained vacant sad

NfkDumpling Sun 14-Apr-19 15:11:56

We put up a three box swift box under the eaves last year - and the sparrows moved in.
The sparrow terrace had blue tits,
The blue tit box had a bees nest.
And the posh small bird box perfectly placed according to the instructions remained empty.
So far this year there are a couple of blackbird nests somewhere in the hedge and the wood pigeons keep laying eggs in the pine tree which overhangs the drive without bothering with much of a nest - so the eggs land on the car - and there’s a pair of robins somewhere in the ivy I think but daren’t investigate. We’re giving up on putting upon any more bird boxes.

Colverson Sun 14-Apr-19 16:33:48

Trees and hedges around me get more nesting birds,only one of my boxes has ever had birds ( blue tits ) nesting every year and sorry but I dont maintain the boxes as birds nest in holes every year and noone clears those

Saggi Sun 14-Apr-19 16:59:59

My boxes all face east... about eight foot from bird tables...and situated behind shrubs and bushes...blue tits nested the first year but since then nothing, despite nuts seed and fat balls all being available. First class accommodation I would’ve thought.

J52 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:15:50

We had black birds in the bat box and wrens made a nest in the air vent above the shed door. We had to be on cat watch when the wrens fledged.

4allweknow Sun 14-Apr-19 17:51:58

They have to be located in the right position sun wise. They want warmth for the young but not blazing heat. Also they should be fairly inaccessible to other creatures eg squirrels, bigger birds. Don't have too many close to one another. Don't have the feeders too near also as other birds visiting may disturb any possible nesting.

Grandmama Sun 14-Apr-19 19:02:29

My nesting box was installed at least 10 years ago. The blue tits peer into it. It is in what should be an ideal position, in the shade and adjacent to an ivy covered tree that they all visit but do they nest in the box - No! .

Pamish Sun 14-Apr-19 22:57:54

@Cece44 Sparrows apparently live to live in clusters, so they prefer terraces of bird boxes. The RSPB will sell you one for £30. Lots more info there re best designs and locations for nestboxes for all birds.

GreenGran78 Mon 15-Apr-19 00:06:21

I have never had any luck with bird boxes, but starlings and sparrows have nested in my loft for many years. I wouldn't dream of having the tiny access gaps blocked up. I love to hear the chirps, and their little feet tip-tapping about when I am in bed.

Aepgirl Mon 15-Apr-19 07:43:10

I had a nesting box which was occupied every year by bluetits. However, for the last two years the magpies have been waiting for the fledglings and killing them as soon as they left the nest. I have now removed the box - it was just too sad to watch, and not be able to do anything - and of course the magpies are increasing.

GreenGran78 Mon 15-Apr-19 10:25:14

We had a huge increase in magpies, a few years ago. I don't know why. Now it's fairly unusual to see them. Sadly, all bird numbers have dropped. When my children were young you could throw a slice of bread onto the lawn and it was surrounded by dozens of birds, almost before it hit the ground, and gone in a minute.