Gransnet forums

Chat

Easter and Passover

(9 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Sun 21-Apr-19 05:29:21

Humbertbear I had a friend for 40 years, she sadly died in 2018 and I miss her very much.
We celebrated Sukkot together every year and 2019 will be the first time we are not together.

She invited me to the Inauguration of a Torah scrolls, to which I had subscribed and we had a wonderful procession around the local area and a feast afterwaads at the shul.
Her son is in his 40's now but I babysat him and attended his Bar Mitzvah.
I miss her so very much.

MiniMoon Sat 20-Apr-19 17:41:32

Happy Easter to you all.
BradfordLass the wedding sounds lovely.
We are spending a quiet day tomorrow. At present I'm watching the Easter service from Kings College, Cambridge on TV.

Teetime Sat 20-Apr-19 15:09:48

Good wishes to all whatever you are celebrating.

Starlady Sat 20-Apr-19 15:06:16

Thank you, ladies!

Bradfordlass72, sounds like a beautiful, charming wedding! Glad everyone had a good time!

Humbertbear, how wonderful that a non-Jewish family comes to celebrate with you one night! What a great idea!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 20-Apr-19 13:46:31

Happy Easter.

Next year in Jerusalem.

Gonegirl Sat 20-Apr-19 09:23:42

A happy Easter to you too Starlady. smile

Humbertbear Sat 20-Apr-19 09:15:24

Thank you StarLady - we are celebrating Passover. Yesterday we had the extended family here to tell the story of the Exodus and discuss the meaning of freedom . Tonight we will host a family who are not Jewish but come to us every year to celebrate with us.
I hope everyone has a good weekend.

BradfordLass72 Sat 20-Apr-19 05:44:36

Thank you. I have just come back from an extremely joyful wedding on a Marae.
The bridesmaids wore black but looked gorgeous and carried huge bouquets of red roses and ferns.

The bride was in a sparkling white gown over which she wore a red, black and white korowai.
Her groom and his men were in white shirts, red ties and black waistcoats and trousers. Very smart with red roses and fern as buttonholes.

Everyone wore huge smiles from start to....well it hasn't actually finished yet but I'm sure they are still smiling! smile as am I.

This is not the bride wearing the korowai in the picture, just a model.
The other photo is Hoani Waititi Marae (Hoani Waititi was wonderful pioneer in education and teaching.

Red, black and white are traditional Maori colours.

Starlady Fri 19-Apr-19 23:28:01

Just taking a moment to wish everyone here a Happy Easter - or Passover if that's what you celebrate - and a very joyous spring!