Gransnet forums

Chat

The Bag Wash.

(55 Posts)
boat Sat 20-Apr-19 18:13:31

Does anyone else remember this?

You put your dirty laundry into a clean sack, tied the neck and took it to a shop. A week later you collected it (washed but a bit musty smelling).

I'm not sure when this started but by the mid 50s the launderette had taken over and I thought it was a big improvement.

00mam00 Sun 21-Apr-19 12:09:57

We lived with my grandmother in London for a while in the 40s, I went with her to the wash house down the road where she did our laundry. There were massive sinks, wash boards, mangles and those drop down clothes airers where you left your washing to dry.

I revisited a few years ago, the old wash house is now a graphic design studio. I told them how I used to go to help with the laundry, they were fascinated.

Grammaretto Sun 21-Apr-19 12:15:09

The bagwash was before my time I think but we had heard of it. The Steamies were the thing in Scotland which have all been replaced by launderettes and there are only a few of those.
Where do you get big items washed? We have a very heavy cotton quilt. I've washed it in the bath before but I could hardly lift it once wet.

What a terrible story hilmix
My DC reported some boys trying to set fire to the cardigan of a little girl, while she was wearing it. Luckily it didn't burn her just left a hole. Perhaps it's as well that we keep a close eye on our DC.

Antonia Sun 21-Apr-19 12:15:41

I can remember our 'washing machine' in the early fifties, it was a large corrugated iron tub and you pushed at the clothes with what we called 'the posher,' although I have heard it referred to since as a posser. Then we got a twin tub with a mangle which was considered a huge innovation.

Legs55 Sun 21-Apr-19 12:29:07

I was brought up in the country so the washing was done in a "dolly tub", can't remember how the water was heated possibly by the Raeburn in the kitchen next to our wash house. Mum had a copper posser & wooden tongs to remove the clothes from the water. I can remember Mum using little bags of "Dolly Blue" on her whites. We had a hand turned mangle. Mum was overjoyed when she finally got her twin tub, she could wash & then spin dry clothes.

I've never been without a washing machine for long & have never used a Laundrette although last year I nearly had to, amazingly my small Town still has one

llizzie2 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:05:41

does anyone remember accumulators? No hiding one's age on this site.

Gaggi3 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:11:09

We didn't have bagwash in the village where I grew up. Would have been wonderful, but maybe beyond our means.
Washing was such a performance. When I was very small the washing was done in stone copper, built into a corner of the kitchen, with a place for a fire underneath to heat the water. We then progressed ( the luxury! ) to a gas copper, freestanding. Then when I was a teenager we had a single tub machine with an electric wringer which my mother kept as a fall back long after she had an automatic. And , of course, washing day had to be on Monday. If the neighbours didn't see any evidence of washing they assumed you were very ill or dead,or , even worse, a bad housekeeper.

Kim19 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:58:59

At last I know the actual meaning of bagwash. Thank you. Never seen it in practice in my life but did experience the washouse and the laundrette. In the services we had a laundry collect and delivery service.

Caro57 Sun 21-Apr-19 14:21:44

Just done a Bag Wash in Cape Verde to reduce the amount of washing on arrival home. Turned around for wash, dry and iron was 24hours

Aepgirl Sun 21-Apr-19 14:58:22

I can still see my mum ironing my father’s detached collars, with a flat iron. She used ‘curl’ the collar as she ironed it so that it was ‘neck shaped’ ready for my father to wear.

travelsafar Sun 21-Apr-19 17:44:55

My nan always used the laundry and i believe she worked in a laundry as a young girl.Her sheets and towels, pillow slips and tableclothes all would arrive to her house in brown paper and were snowy white and smelt of soap , it facsinated me as a child. At home she would boil her 'smalls' in a bucket on the gas stove and i would help her put everything through her mangle which she kept in the garden shed. Her washing was always soft and smelt beautiful. No fabric conditioners int hose days so not sure how she managed it.

boat Sun 21-Apr-19 20:52:05

11izie

By accumulators do you mean the batteries that radios ran on in the 40/50s? Quite heavy, glass jars that had to be taken to a shop and exchanged for for charged ones every week.

You had to be very careful bringing them back as the liquid was acidic and would burn your legs if it slopped over.

Seakay Sun 21-Apr-19 20:56:43

we didn't have a bagwash in our village, but I found this collection of descriptions and memories:
www.1900s.org.uk/1940s60s-bagwash.htm

Bijou Sun 21-Apr-19 22:35:45

Ilizie. I remember accumulators that we used to power early radios. When I was very small my grandmother asked what it was and I had difficulty in pronouncing the word.
When I was about two we had cats whisker radio and had earphones. Only one station which played mainly orchestral music.

boat Mon 22-Apr-19 04:24:29

Bijou.

I don't remember the cats' whisker radio in my own childhood but in the early 70's we bought the Ladybird book, "Build Your Own Radio", and made one with our 7 year old son. All three of us found it miraculous.

Nannytopsy Mon 22-Apr-19 05:19:56

When I got married in 1978 I was handed down a single tub washing machine with a wringer. It was not automatic and you had to pump the water out and refill with clean to rinse. It was a lengthy business.

Grammaretto Mon 22-Apr-19 08:32:49

Our first machine was a twin tub with a spindrier. I also had those wooden tongs.
Washing was all done on a Saturday morning in the kitchen. Was it load after load in the same water beginning with sheets? I enjoyed the novelty at first. We were in a top flat and the drying green was far away. When baby arrived with nappies to wash, the fun aspect waned. We were desperate to buy a house with a garden and an automatic washing machine that could be plumbed in.

sodapop Mon 22-Apr-19 08:39:21

We opened a residential home for adults with learning disabilities in the early 70s. It was a County council establishment and we had 25 residents. Initially we had a twin tub washer to do everyone's personal laundry. Fortunately bedding went to the laundry. The night staff were kept busy washing, rinsing, spinning. The tube often slipped off the sink and flooded the laundry room. Good old days eh ?

Magrithea Mon 22-Apr-19 08:44:27

I used to use the laundrette across the road from the house I lived in as a student. The very nice lady there (shades of Dot Cotton?? grin) would do a bag wash but you didn't have to wait a week, we could usually pick up the next day. Clean folded clothes that did need an iron!

DanniRae Mon 22-Apr-19 09:58:34

Sorry to be ignorant but did the washing come out of the bag to be washed?
My mum had a boiler which came with our council house. Then they bought a Hotpoint Countess washing machine. She was so pleased to have a proper washing machine. I was just as pleased when I got my first automatic washing machine after years with a twin tub.

Stilllearning Mon 22-Apr-19 10:18:23

In the mid forties we shared a washhouse in our communal backyard with three other families who each had a wash day. My aunt came as well on our day and after the washing was finished my cousin and I (we would be around three or four years of age) were bathed in the big tub. I must have loved it because it is one of my few memories of my early childhood

00mam00 Mon 22-Apr-19 10:54:35

My MIL was a launderess as were 2 of her sisters and I believe their mother. They all lived in the same street and took in laundry. I remember stories of bags of wet washing being forgotten until someone noticed a mouldy smell. The items had to be boiled and bleached again to get them clean before delivery. MIL loved doing laundry and strangely so does my daughter.

Grammaretto Mon 22-Apr-19 11:02:26

My mum moaned about how hard life had been with 2 small children in a bombed out flat in London post war. I know she was thrilled to get her first washing machine with a wringer. Did she use a laundry? I never asked her. She was always telling me I was so fortunate compared with her mother and grandmothers' hard lives. We emigrated to NZ in 1950 with other £10 Pohms.

Jan66 Mon 22-Apr-19 14:15:59

Well - thank goodness for automatic washing machines! Back in 1994 we took my Nana on holiday with us to the Isle of Wight and visited Calbourne Mill Rural Museum. For my Nana this was like stepping back in time, seeing the kitchen appliances and everyday items that she used as a young girl. She loved it and loved telling us all about using them. My mother had a twin tub washing machine which had to be pulled across to the sink when in use. She loved using that despite the fact that there were automatic washing machines available.

allule Mon 22-Apr-19 14:54:28

We had a flat in Southampton in 1964, with a cupboard outside the front door. We left washing in the cupboard, and it was delivered back ready to iron...I used to iron in those days.
Talk of collar stiffeners reminds me of my father's party trick. He stuck a celluloid stiffener into the mouth of the sailor on the Senior Service packet, lit the end, and it puffed.

boat Mon 22-Apr-19 16:10:10

allule.

When I read your post I realised I hadn't ironed anything for about three years.

When I moved on to my narrow boat I brought the iron with me but not the huge ironing board because there was no room to store it..

Since then I have realised that if you wear eg a blouse for a couple of hours it will, sort of, flatten out.

However I have totally failed to keep in mind that you are bound to be invited to a posh/semi-posh do at some time. It's imminent. Help!!!