Gransnet forums

Chat

Since when did, "The Peoples Will", become so important?

(21 Posts)
varian Sun 28-Apr-19 19:05:44

What is populism?

That’s a vexed question. Populism is usually described as a strategic approach that frames politics as a battle between the virtuous, “ordinary” masses and a nefarious or corrupt elite.

It can be used by politicians who are either left- or rightwing, and occasionally neither.

It is not sustained by a single consistent ideology or issue position. In the words of the leading populism scholar Cas Mudde, it is “a thin-centred ideology that considers society to be ultimately separated into two homogenous and antagonistic camps, ‘the pure people’ versus ‘the corrupt elite’”.

He also says that populists tend argue that politics should be an expression of the general will of the people, while others stress populists often have a “Manichean” world view, breaking politics into a binary view of good or evil.

For example, in the words of the archpopulist Donald Trump, from his January 2017 inauguration address: “For too long, a small group in our nation’s capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost.”

Who are the populists?
Populism is as old as democracy itself. The sophists of Athens’ golden age were at it hundreds of years before Julius Caesar brought his populist touch to the Roman republic.

From the 19th century, populist instincts can be detected in pro-peasantry agitation by Russian intellectuals in the 1860s and an agrarian movement in the US that grew into the People’s party 20 years later.

In the mid-20th century, academics have used the p-word to describe everything from Peronism in Argentina and McCarthyism in the US, to Nasser’s Egypt and the Poujadiste movement led by Pierre Poujade in 1950s France.

Given so many politicians – of such different stripes – can be populist, some argue the term is useless. But with so-called populists on the left and right experiencing a resurgence in the 21st century, the term is once again in the spotlight.

On the right, Trump, Viktor Orbán, Rodrigo Duterte and Matteo Salvini are often characterised as populists – and so too is the Tea party movement that emerged out of the 2008 financial crisis.

www.theguardian.com/news/2018/dec/03/what-is-populism-trump-farage-orban-bolsonaro

boat Fri 26-Apr-19 22:56:57

varian.

On a good day I am agnostic, on a bad one, atheist. I was brought up as a Christian. I just wonder what Jesus Christ would have thought of T. May and some of our, "Leading politicians".

boat Fri 26-Apr-19 22:39:34

Liley65

Actually it's Mrs. I just thought that if I don't think of something other than Brexit I might really go insane.

Anniebach Fri 26-Apr-19 11:32:00

notentirely ?

notentirelyallhere Fri 26-Apr-19 11:18:42

Anniebach , I knew you'd say that! smile And while I view what happened slightly differently to you, I do think there's been a growing trend towards every opinion being as valued as any other, regardless of any rationality and instead awash with unfettered emotions.

varian Fri 26-Apr-19 09:27:41

It's a way for leaders to whip up a crowd, then shrug off responsibility. It's not new. Was Christ not condemned by "the will of the people"?

Anniebach Fri 26-Apr-19 09:20:24

If the behaviour when Diana died is typical of the will of the people , heaven help us.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Apr-19 08:37:02

Well it’s not actually the will of the people it’s the will of some of the people ( a tiny majority) what about the will of the rest of the people
That’s the way to pass the buck ‘wasn’t me guv, honest’ it was ‘the people’

notentirelyallhere Fri 26-Apr-19 08:28:33

An interesting question. My immediate response was to think of Tony Blair's speech after Princess Diana's death where he called her 'the people's princess'.

I'm not sure how far I want to push this but that for me is the first time in recent history that the public engaged with the powers that be in an antagonistic way. Remember the criticism of the Queen (was it for not returning to London?), for not making an immediate statement, for initially planning a non state funeral? And all those flowers in Kensington Gardens, people felt they had an opinion and a right to state it.

Anja Thu 25-Apr-19 20:46:36

Have I wandered through an ender-portal into a time-spacewarp continuum and landed in a parallel universe?

Will I find Facey McFace Boat there? ?????

M0nica Thu 25-Apr-19 20:38:39

As in 'Brexit is the will of the British people, they voted for it.' When in fact, while the majority did vote for it. It was with a very thin majority, as nearly as many voted to stay in the EU and to talk of The British People' in a circomumstance like this is down right misleading.

Deedaa Wed 24-Apr-19 20:49:50

The Will of the People is important but I don't think it should always be implemented no matter what the consequences. This is why we have MPs. We expect them to listen to what we want and then use their experience and expertise to decide whether it is possible or desirable.

I voted Boaty McBoatface but was pretty certain it wouldn't be used!

Dontaskme Wed 24-Apr-19 18:42:21

I voted Boaty McBoatface. Maybe I should stop voting.

gillybob Wed 24-Apr-19 18:27:45

Yes they did indeed maryeliza smile

Lily65 Wed 24-Apr-19 16:45:40

Are you feeling quite well Ms boat? or perhaps it's Mr?

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 16:30:35

gilly they gave the name to a robot submersible though. so it wasn’t wasted.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Apr-19 16:21:25

Our MP's are only in parliament because of the "will of the people" to vote for them at the ballot box!!!!!

A timely reminder to them all will hopefully be huge defeats for both of the main parties in the local elections and then again if we have EU elections forced upon us!!

GrandmaKT Wed 24-Apr-19 16:17:30

They certainly do Urmstongran! grin

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 16:15:20

Didn’t that name garner the most votes and then get overruled too?

Similarities abound.

?

gillybob Wed 24-Apr-19 16:14:13

Which was ignored.

boat Wed 24-Apr-19 15:50:34

I cite, "Boaty McBoatface.