Gransnet forums

Chat

Horoscopes

(51 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 22:21:30

Does your star sign say anything about you?
I am a goat, Capricorn, an earth sign and very true to most of that sign's traits.
I don't read horoscopes as they can mean many things to millions of people but the core traits are ones I can identify with.
Funnily, all my children are earth signs too.

rosecarmel Wed 24-Apr-19 23:23:21

Yes - smile I can identify with the core traits of my sign as well - But I've some trouble identifying with my Chinese sign, even though I think there's a bit more accuracy to their predictions and/or possibilities - Fascinating subject, I think ...

Can anyone guess my sign? smile

How about anyone else's that been an active member on this site much longer than I have -- I'm new here -

Sussexborn Wed 24-Apr-19 23:47:04

My birthday is on the cusp so I can decide which horoscope I prefer for the day. Both of our daughters are also on the cusp but OH and son are slap bang in the middle. Odd coincidence!

For years I was Cancerian but now I am mostly a Gemini!

crazyH Thu 25-Apr-19 00:03:32

I have the core traits of a Leo- I truly believe. But dont ask me to read my horoscope. I never have and never will.
'You will receive a windfall this week'.....are 100 million Leo's going to receive a windfall? Baloney !

absent Thu 25-Apr-19 00:05:16

I have no idea what the "core traits" of my star sign are supposed to be but I regard horoscopes, including individually drawn-up charts, as mumbo jumbo.

stella1949 Thu 25-Apr-19 03:23:36

It's crazy to me - surely nobody can believe that everyone in the world falls into one of 12 categories , and that this dictates their personality, fate, behaviours etc. Nonsense in my book.

Blencathra Thu 25-Apr-19 06:53:20

The sun sign isn’t going to tell you much. You need your unique birth chart.

Anja Thu 25-Apr-19 07:05:39

Load of mumbo jumbo is about right absent. It’s a bit like the placebo effect too eg if you believe you have the characteristics of the sign attributed to you eg you are a goat ? then you live up to that image.

jeanie99 Thu 25-Apr-19 07:14:11

Total rubbish as far as I'm concerned.
But if you want to believe where's the harm.

MawBroonsback Thu 25-Apr-19 07:15:32

All such tosh isn’t it?
Why do some people reject organised religion but believe in this mumbo jumbo?
At best, it is (relatively) harmless but from earliest times until relatively recently crucial decisions of war or peace, life or death have been made “according to the stars”

Wobbles Thu 25-Apr-19 08:13:35

Gemini is my star sign and I do have some of its traits.
I used to read my horoscope every day when I was younger and foolishly believed every word.
Now I realise my choices dictate which path I follow smile

Anniebach Thu 25-Apr-19 08:19:58

Never read horoscopes, I am Cancer and am suppose to be ruled by the moon and the tides ! May explain my need to be at the coast ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 25-Apr-19 08:25:42

I'm a Capricorn and I'm fairly typical of the sign. Down to earth, easy-going, practical, but not so materialistic or interested in status symbols.
I read my horoscope each week but largely take it with a pinch of salt.
Scientific research has shown that there is something in it. Many athletes are Aries, for instance.

Elegran Thu 25-Apr-19 09:11:21

As the light from the star configuration at your birth took millenia to reach earth, and as those stars are in fact all at different distances from earth so the light beams started off at different times, they can have no possible effect on the personality you inherit and/or develop. Add in that the moment of birth could be affected by a whole lot of factors - the need to have you out of there in time to be "first baby of the New Year" among others. The weather when you were tiny might have more of an effect, making you inclined to minor infections and a bit clingy, or less tightly wrapped up and so more free and confident.

Superstitious poppycock.

KatyK Thu 25-Apr-19 09:53:08

I agree with the mumbo jumbo people.

annodomini Thu 25-Apr-19 11:09:26

Elegran, the clear light of common sense. Each constellation is made up of stars that, apart from being vast distances from us, are also light years apart from one another. A pattern seen in the night sky by some ancient civilisation, can influence our lives here on our little planet? Poppycock!

Urmstongran Thu 25-Apr-19 11:18:57

I’m a Virgo.
Husband Taurean.
One daughter Capricorn.

So we are all Earth signs.

Virgo = family
Taurus = money (not for itself, the security it represents)
Capricorn = work/career

Other daughter is Aquarian & sees things TOTALLY different to us 3! She’s convinced she was left on our doorstep in a wicker basket as a foundling.

Aquarius = friends most important
(although she does love us too!)

I used to read a daily horoscope for years. Silly really but it was the first thing I turned to in a (paper those days) newspaper.

BradfordLass72 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:27:30

A friend once drew up my horoscope and I was very sceptical but she pointed out that the moon quite definitely affects us (and subsequent family members in the police confirm "all the crazies" come out near a full moon") .
So who knows?

But I don't take it seriously and the stuff in magazines or online is rubbish.

I am, however, a typical Aquarian, apart from the fact "we" are supposed to be beautiful which I certainly am not.
Passable maybe - people walk past me all the time grin
grin

Elegran Fri 26-Apr-19 09:29:41

It would prove more if a horoscope were drawn up for a newborn babe and then sealed until his/her funeral at an advanced age. No chance for any self-fulfilling prophesies then. all personality and achievements, all the events of their life, even the manner of their end, would be a matter of record.

M0nica Fri 26-Apr-19 09:46:52

Yes, I share many attributes given to Leos, including colouring, but that is hereditary, all of them can be found in other members of my family. However I have no time for horoscopes. I haven't read one for 40 or 50 years, not even for fun. I do not read anything that contains any, or may be I do, but never noticed them.

Gonegirl Fri 26-Apr-19 09:59:42

this is a very comprehensive site for horoscopes. ie can waste a lot of your time if you let it

rosecarmel Fri 26-Apr-19 12:27:05

5 out of the 12 self made billionaires that I looked up were born in the month of August -- almost half! Coincidence?

rosecarmel Fri 26-Apr-19 12:30:09

We are not as distant from the stars as some may think we are, we are made from "star stuff" ourselves .. smile

Ramblingrose22 Fri 26-Apr-19 12:39:04

I remember reading a birth chart drawn up by an American astrologer when Prince George was born.

It said that a planet in the House of Other People's money was very prominent in his chart.

How accurate, I thought!

MawBroonsback Fri 26-Apr-19 12:45:32

Rosecarmel asked

Can anyone guess my sign? smile

♉️ Taurus?
(Advice- avoid china shops)