Gransnet forums

Chat

My beloved cat

(29 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 29-Apr-19 19:54:42

I had my 18 year old cat put to sleep today. Im missing her so much. She had overactive thyroid and was on medication for life.she went downhill rapidly in the last 2 days so i had to take her this morning. The house feels empty. My other cat is not affectionate like holly was so im going to be lonely. Has anyone alse been so attached to a cat or am i being daft. I just want a little body to cuddle

MawBroonsback Mon 29-Apr-19 19:56:52

sadsad my sincere commiserations Etheltbags I know how much we love our animals and their passing is a hard blow. flowers

Izabella Mon 29-Apr-19 19:57:40

Not silly at all. They leave a huge gap in our lives. IT is wonderful you had her with you for so long. I truly understand how you feel. Hugs.

EllanVannin Mon 29-Apr-19 20:07:58

I had my beautiful Kitty put to sleep in 2012 and it took me all my time to ring the vet up as I was so devastated as she lay by my feet, I could hardly speak. Once the vet arrived I was a mess and it took me ages afterwards to get over losing her. The cat was over 20 years old so I fully understand how anyone feels after losing a lifelong pet. Aww.

phoenix Mon 29-Apr-19 20:09:13

Oh ethel there are now 4 of ours buried in the garden, all much loved and all missed.

We have Oliver Sprout and Minnie, but still think about the others.

They all have individual personalities, Maurice would sit on laps, but hated being picked up, Digby did the best bedtime snuggle ups ever, Clucky was the grande dame matriach, took no nonsense from the youngsters, and Lily, well, she was the feline equivalent of a dumb blonde.

Those of us who have and love pets will understand, those who don't can sod off.

You did the right thing for your girl, sadly the grief is the price we have to pay.

SueDonim Mon 29-Apr-19 20:40:15

I'm sorry, Etheltbags. flowers We lost our little Willow three years ago. She was only five but had a congenital heart defect and we were lucky to have had her that long. We now have two brothers, completely opposite in character but just as gorgeous.

You might find that your remaining cat has a bit of a personality change as an 'only' cat. We've noticed with previous cats that when one had died the other has become more affectionate with us so you never know.

Slowcookervegan Mon 29-Apr-19 20:50:48

Sorry for your loss xx

lemongrove Mon 29-Apr-19 21:04:46

We all feel the same Ethel it’s awful to have to say goodbye to a pet that has been part of our lives for a long time.
At least you know that he had a good long life with you.

Chewbacca Mon 29-Apr-19 21:05:33

Very sorry to hear this ethelbags1; I completely understand how you're feeling right now; having lost several beloved cats myself over the years. The only thing that I felt eased the sorrow was knowing that, whilst they were with me, I did my absolute best for them and that included not letting them suffer. You did everything you could for Holly and that's what's important. Please hold onto that thought. flowers

Charleygirl5 Mon 29-Apr-19 21:06:44

I know just what it is like and it is horrendous. flowers

Alima Mon 29-Apr-19 21:15:22

No, you aren’t being daft ethel. It is what happens, they work their way into your heart and it is such a wrench when they have to go. You did her proud, loved and cared and fed her. Give yourself time to grieve.

Bigred18 Mon 29-Apr-19 21:40:18

My beautiful 15 year old cat died at home at the weekend. Happy not to have vet intervention but so, so sad. Place seems empty.

Jane10 Mon 29-Apr-19 21:42:01

So sorry ethel. They work their way into our hearts don't they. thanks ?

blondenana Mon 29-Apr-19 22:16:42

So very sorry for the loss of your beloved cat, i have also had over the years to have to put a few beloved cats to sleep, my eldest also being 18, bit also lost one to heart failure aged 7, and my lovely siamese boy, the most affectionate cat i ever had died at 7 too, with kidney failure
I have a corner of my garden devoted to my cats, about 5 buried there and 3 in other areas
At the moment i have 3 10 year old Ragdoll cats, and a little dog who has been diagnosed with dementia, and has cataracts,not sure of her age as i was told 3 when i adopted her, but according to my vet at least 9now . probably older
I dread losing any of them, all cats seem in good health at the moment, but it is so heartbreaking when you lose them at whatever age

gransal Mon 29-Apr-19 22:29:14

ethelbags my sincere sympathy. 2 years ago I had to make one of the hardest decisions. My 19 year old moggy had cancer and I had to make the decision to give him the last kindness. Google Rainbow Bridge. It helped me .

Framilode Mon 29-Apr-19 22:36:57

I feel so sorry and know just what you feel.

arosebyanyothername Mon 29-Apr-19 22:43:13

My heart goes out to you etheltbags1, it’s hard to lose a beloved pet.
Try to be comforted by the fact that you did your best for her.

Anja Mon 29-Apr-19 22:48:38

So sorry EB. The love we have for our pets makes this parting so hard, but you made the kindest decision possible out of love,

notentirelyallhere Mon 29-Apr-19 23:18:40

Sorry to hear that EB. I have an elderly cat who is declining, the vet says don't stress her with lots of tests and has told us how to assess her condition when the time comes. I think we're talking weeks.

It's SO sad when they go. They give us such pleasure and are real characters to have about the place. They're the best sort of friend and companion. I like to look at photos and remember the years we've had together. I hope the sadness eases in time and that perhaps there'll be a successor when you're ready. flowers

crazyH Mon 29-Apr-19 23:26:12

It's hard to have to make that decision. I kept postponing the inevitable, even though the Vet said there was no more he could do. In my case, it was my beautiful, placid, sweet, loving Rottweiler. Dontelieve all you hear about Rottweilers - mine would lick you to death ?

PageTurner Tue 30-Apr-19 03:29:51

I'm so sorry about your dear cat.. I know how you feel. We have four cats, one of which has been sick for the past few weeks. He is slowly getting better, but it is so very hard to watch them suffer. They are solitary when they don't feel good and don't want to be picked up and cuddled.

Sparklefizz Tue 30-Apr-19 07:11:36

To all of you who have lost pets: I am so sorry. I've been there many times and it's heartbreaking. They are loved and grieved over and missed like the much-loved members of our family that they are, and the house seems empty without them.

Hugs to all of you.

Willow500 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:08:00

So sorry - it's heartbreaking when they leave us. We have lost several over the years and one in particular left such a terrible hole in my heart.

etheltbags1 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:08:44

Thank you for all the kind messages. My remaining cat has been running all over house thro the night. He lets me stroke him but does not like being lifted. He is the size of a labrador pup and has a heart murmer like a lot of white cats. I lost another one with heart trouble a few years ago. My priority now is to get him to lose weight. Me to if i can and try to get my boy to cuddle up to me on sofa. . Not a lot to ask

GillT57 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:13:44

So sorry to hear about your cat ethelbags1, I had my lovely old boy put to sleep just two weeks ago, and although we knew it was best for him, it was such a hard decision to make. Our lovely vet described it as the last act of kindness and love for your pet. We can now talk about him, laugh about his quirks and funny ways, we miss him terribly but by far the hardest part was making that decision. Sending empathy your way. x