Gransnet forums

Chat

Unsolicited mail

(11 Posts)
Lindylou23 Sat 04-May-19 08:40:53

Monday I had a package delivered and inside was 2 small boxes of what I think are vitamin tablets, with it was an invoice for £49. I rung the telephone number but it was an answering machine I also emailed company but have not had a reply. I had not ordered these, and would certainly not take anything randomly come through my door.
I don't know what to do with them are they expecting me to pay (by the way I will not be ). Has anyone else had this problem of unsolicited mail .

aggie Sat 04-May-19 08:55:54

Was it addressed to you ?

Lindylou23 Sat 04-May-19 08:59:21

Yes it was addressed to me.

phoenix Sat 04-May-19 09:00:39

How very odd!

aggie Sat 04-May-19 09:02:13

I hope someone can come up with an answer , I wouldn't like to pay that for unknown tablets , they could be dangerous too !
I hope the firm hasn't got your bank details !

ditzyme Sat 04-May-19 09:10:26

Whenever I received unsolicited mail I scrawled out my address and marked it, Return to Sender, and shoved it in the post box. Didn't bother communicating with sender as that only encourages them to try and engage you in dialogue. Best just to return I think, but others may disagree.

ninathenana Sat 04-May-19 09:11:33

Is there a return address ?
Returning them recorded delivery will obviously incur expense but not the £49. That would be one option if you are the sort to worry over owing money. I think I would e-mail/snail mail again obviously keeping copies. Keep the boxes and packaging and wait and see.
I'm thinking maybe, they have sent them out to you and others hoping enough people will be gullible to pay up.

Elegran Sat 04-May-19 09:15:40

Write to them saying that you did not order them and are certainly not going to pay for them. Add that if they want them back they can arrange with you to collect them within the next ???? weeks, after which you will dispose of them. You are not obliged to pay for what you did not ask for, but I believe you are supposed to give the suppliers a chance to get them back (at their expense)

You could also report the incident to your office of fair trading - they may be hoping you will be embarrassed into paying up.

Beckett Sat 04-May-19 09:19:27

Agree with Elegran - tell them to collect by a certain date or you will dispose of them.

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-May-19 09:32:35

Give them 7 working days, that is a reasonable amount of time.
Hopefully there is an address.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-May-19 16:05:59

This may very well be a scam. The fact that there was only an answering machine on the phone number makes me suspect it.

Certainly write and tell them to collect the package that you did not order, but check whether you can legally dispose of the contents if they are not collected. You don't want to be had up for theft! The office of fair trading should know the law concerning unsolicited goods.

Unless you would rather just lie if a demand notice comes in and say you have no idea what they are talking about as you have neither ordered nor received anything from them.

But do check with your bank to see if your credit card has been used by this firm.