Gransnet forums

Chat

A watery tale

(4 Posts)
M0nica Sun 05-May-19 22:36:54

On what your posts says, Gabriella it rather depends on how much he is prepared to pay for the shares and what he intends to buy them with. Cash, government bonds, prepaid water bills? then the question whether the water industry can be run efficiently and well, with continuing investment in maintenance, repair and developing future water resources at the price he says he will charge, which is considerably less than is currently charged.

Any politician can make empty promises about renationalising industries and reducing prices, and I am no opponent to bringing a number of sectors back under national control, but even setting aside the cost of renationalisation, the industries need to be run efficiently with effective onward investment in the industries and I would want to be sure that low prices will not be at the cost of further investment so that in 20 years time the whole lot has to be reprivatised because only private industry can raise the necessary capital to repair the effect of years of underinvestment. Remember one of the main reasons the water industry was privatised in the first place was because of lack of investment in it when it was state run.

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-May-19 21:52:32

Sorry if of, of off

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-May-19 21:51:08

none be

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-May-19 21:49:47

Jeremy Corbyn wants to renationalise the water, energy and rail industries.
Starting with water companies, he promises to save every household at least £100pa. I don't know about you but my bills are low and the standing charge is often higher than the water used.
It's a lifesaver. We absolutely need water at almost any price but your pensions may well be invested in these major elements of our everyday life. If JC gets his way, he wants government to set the price and it will likely none less than half the current £44bn valuation.
Some have said as little as £16.4bn which means that thousands if pounds will be wiped of your pensions and dividends will fall dramatically.
Do you want our services
re-nationalised?
Is your water safe in his hands?