New royal baby names

(183 Posts)
gma Wed 08-May-19 16:52:22

Just announced duke and duchess of Sussex new baby’s names
Archie Harrison Mountbatten Windsor
What do other gransnetters think of it?
I think it’s ok!

Day6 Wed 08-May-19 18:26:46

It's a bit trendy. There are lots of Archies about at the moment.

It doesn't sound very regal, but Harry's family will not be putting in the work that William and family will have to do in the future, so a departure from more aristocratic names is probably fine for them.

I dislike 'Harrison', but then read BlueBelle's post and the penny dropped - Harry's son.

Day6 Wed 08-May-19 18:33:02

Weren't William AND Harry known at school and in the forces as William and Harry Wales?

It's not Archie Wales but Windsor.

I appreciate Charles is the Prince of Wales so it must come from him to his sons, but Harry Wales has Archie Windsor as a son. Hmmm.

The Queen is Mrs Mountbatten, with Mountbatten children..and she/they are of the house of Windsor. They do like to complicate things with names, don't they? grin

LadyGracie Wed 08-May-19 18:35:04

Not what I’d have chosen, but he is their son and they get to choose.

EllanVannin Wed 08-May-19 18:40:51

My youngest GGS is Archie. Well done to the Royals for being " with it ".
Rest of the names are fine by me.

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-May-19 18:44:51

It’s reported that Archie’s parents have chosen for him not to have a courtesy title, so neither Prince nor Lord. I like that.

I like the name too, though for me it’ll always be first and foremost the name of one of our cats!

EllanVannin Wed 08-May-19 18:47:07

Louis Mountbatten was murdered by the IRA in the 70's. I had a feeling his name would have entered the equation somewhere. Very pleased about it and a tribute to the late Lord Louis.

acanthus Wed 08-May-19 18:48:52

Well said Kandinsky. And if the poster would like to add 'pedantic' to that description, it's 'biddies'.

EthelJ Wed 08-May-19 18:49:07

I like it, posters on Mumsnet seem to hate it though. There are a lot of unpleasant and rude comments on there about it.
It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks though does it? It's their baby and their choice.
I also think it's good they have decided not to give him a title.

Poppyred Wed 08-May-19 18:59:36

Surprised! Love Harrison, not so keen on Archie - but it’s their choice.

Sara65 Wed 08-May-19 19:05:21

No Ethel, of course you’re right, it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks, but why do people feel the need to be so spiteful and nasty, how would they feel if people took to social media to ridicule their children’s names

Day6 Wed 08-May-19 19:19:27

Am I mistaken, but weren't we asked in the OP what WE THOUGHT of the names??

So if people don't like them, isn't it fair enough to say so?

I really do not get all this "You must be nice and agreeable" sentiment on chat sites like this one.

It makes for a more interesting conversation. I am all for people expressing their true thoughts. If we cannot do that now at this stage in our lives, when will we ever be our authentic selves?

Not liking the names is NOT nasty behaviour.

Sara65 Wed 08-May-19 19:23:23

Well that’s another of your opinions Day6, I think that we could do with being a bit kinder, fair enough if you don’t like the name, but some of the comments I’ve seen are just spiteful

katie1 Wed 08-May-19 19:24:05

My dog is called Archie smile, he is lovely and I love the name. I wouldn't have thought it an especially American choice confused

SueDonim Wed 08-May-19 19:27:53

The new baby's names wouldn't be on my list of favourites, but hey, not my child, not my choice! As long as they're happy. smile

NotAGran55 Wed 08-May-19 19:31:32

I like the name Archie very much and I worked with wonderful young man called Harrison who was not in the least bit chavtastic . All good as far as I’m concerned . My own 2 son’s have very royal names though smile

rafichagran Wed 08-May-19 19:32:02

I am not keen on the name but it is their child. OP asked your our opinions on the name, and being insulted up thread by Bluebelle is is just plain rude and disrespectful. She might be an old biddy but I am certainly not.

Nannyxthree Wed 08-May-19 19:33:43

If he were likely to be king his name would be important, but these are nice names for a child of this age.

NanaandGrampy Wed 08-May-19 19:37:47

I’m not loving it .

It’s a bit twee and not particularly regal but then again he’s so far down the line maybe that doesn’t matter.

As long as they like it I guess.

Alima Wed 08-May-19 19:38:42

I really like the chosen names. As 7th in line to the throne there’s really no need for the wee mite to have “royal” names. Only the Cambridge children have those, all the rest have names chosen by their parents, Mia and Summer for example.
Totally agree Day6, not liking the names is not nasty behaviour. It is how one expresses one’s self I suppose. That’s another story.

Day6 Wed 08-May-19 19:39:00

Sara, the OP asks us what we THINK, so we give our opinions.

Not liking the names is an opinion. Why should it be a kind opinion? I just don't get it.

I am a kind person, but I may have strong opinions on some subjects. Should I not voice them? The royals do not give a damn what I or you think about the names Archie Harrison, do they?

The baby has his name. I think there are three, maybe four. options here, as to what we think.

1) Like
2) Don't like
3) They're okay.
4) Indifferent.

I think we are also allowed to be scathing or saccharine-ly sweet too. grin Long live opinions.

Gonegirl Wed 08-May-19 19:51:25

It's nice. ???

Sara65 Wed 08-May-19 19:52:24

Day6

Everyone can have an opinion, you don’t have to like the babies name, and you can say so, but I think some of the comments are unpleasant, for goodness sake, let’s just be a bit nicer!

Grammaretto Wed 08-May-19 19:58:13

I just heard a woman calling out "Harris!" today. I hadn't heard it recently. So perhaps Harrison is a variation like Jack and Jackson. It's also a nice play on Harry's son (which has already been noted)
Archie? Why not. It's quite popular and current. I wonder how many names were rejected! grin
It's hard to choose names. Such a responsibility.
What does the baby look like? A baby?

MamaCaz Wed 08-May-19 20:33:13

I like the name Archie.
I have no strong feelings either way with regard to Harrison. I certainly wouldn't have thought it particularly unusual, even if he wasn't Harry's son. I would have put it down to the current popularity of surname-like forenames!

phoenix Wed 08-May-19 20:38:19

My late ds2 had the middle name Harris, because there had been no boys in the previous generation, sort of carrying it on, even though it it's quite a common surname.