New royal baby names

(183 Posts)
gma Wed 08-May-19 16:52:22

Just announced duke and duchess of Sussex new baby’s names
Archie Harrison Mountbatten Windsor
What do other gransnetters think of it?
I think it’s ok!

Rufus2 Wed 15-May-19 09:59:30

Archie!? OK! Word association takes me to Meghan, then America, then Archie Bunker.! Why didn't Harry then step in to nominate "Alf" of West Ham, one of his most ardent Royalist supporters? After all, there's an excellent precedent with "Alfred the Great" grin

Sara65 Tue 14-May-19 10:02:11

I think Archie is sweet anyway, I can’t really see what there is to object to

Anniebach Tue 14-May-19 08:39:46

What they name their child is their choice. It’s quite natural for people to like or dislike names.

LullyDully Tue 14-May-19 08:17:20

Surely as Harrison is only a middle name it won't get used much. I used my grandmother 's maiden name as my son's middle name as a tribute to her. He only uses a short form of his first name.

Archie he will.be or Arch for short maybe. wink

Sara65 Tue 14-May-19 06:57:34

There are some unusual names out there! I’m often stood in the school playground saying “what did you say that child is called?”

mothertrucker52 Mon 13-May-19 23:44:10

To be a gran means to be an old biddy in some respects, even if you are under 40 as I was, anyway at least they didn't call him one of those mis-spelled made up names which crop up so often in magazines such as Chat and Take a Break (you all know what I'm talking about!)

Baloothefitz Mon 13-May-19 09:02:41

Love Archie ,not so keen on Harrison ,but he is a beautiful baby & they both look so happy .

blondenana Sat 11-May-19 22:51:17

I have a great grandson called Harrison, but ony a few months old yet,his older brother is called William

paddyann Sat 11-May-19 13:11:49

Thats Ben Lomond, maw in the distance ,its also the mountain that I see from my back window or when I turn into my street .

MawBroonsback Sat 11-May-19 13:07:35

Paddyann you won’t need to be told about the stunning scenery around this historic town, but this is for those whose horizons may be more limited.

MawBroonsback Sat 11-May-19 13:04:48

My eldest daughter has three boys called Harrison at her school. All are little sods

Not being judgemental of course. ??

What a dreadful indictment. .

paddyann Sat 11-May-19 13:03:54

thanks maw its personal I LIVE just half a mile from Dumbarton and we're hosting an event in Dumbarton Castle later this month .As I said like most small towns it has seen better days but it is steeped in history.Annie might like to google it .Merlin was said to have been here visiting a sick nephew whose name escaped me and the Arthurian legend lived out in Camelon near Falkirk( not CameLOT) . Dumbarton was first mentioned in Roman dispatches by no less a person than Saint Patrick who was born at Old Kilpatrick son of a Roman commander (? cant remember his rank).

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 12:52:32

I suppose you could argue, that a certain type of person chooses a certain type of name, and has a certain type of parenting, which produces a certain type of child!

But I don’t think that’s true, I know lots of people who share a name, but they don’t all have the same personalities or characteristics

Iam64 Sat 11-May-19 12:47:38

Blimey! a grannie describing children from the school her daughter (presumably) teaches at as "little sods".

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-May-19 12:44:06

My GC has a Harrison in their class and he is an absolute cutie and very good.

Ridiculous to say all "insert any name" are naughty, good etc it is just a name!

DIL17 Sat 11-May-19 12:40:02

It's a forum where people post opinions. You don't have to agree.

My eldest daughter has three boys called Harrison at her school. All are little sods.

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 12:02:08

Seems a bit harsh Dil, I don’t personally know any Harrison’s, but I’m sure they can’t ALL be naughty!

Charleygirl5 Sat 11-May-19 11:56:16

I like Harrison but not Harry's son if that makes sense. Archie would be far down the list of first names for me.

Ah well, they are not going to please everybody and he did look rather gorgeous and cute in his proud daddy's arms. I prefer them asleep but that is a personal choice!

MawBroonsback Sat 11-May-19 11:48:15

That wasn’t aimed at you Annie flowers

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 11:24:03

I agree Maw, how on earth can you predict a child’s personality by the name he’s given? If that were so, I imagine we’d all be doing a lot more research before deciding on our children’s names!

Anniebach Sat 11-May-19 10:47:03

I will try maw ,

MawBroonsback Sat 11-May-19 10:38:47

Archie is a nickname and they shouldn't be used as actual names.

Harrison is a naughty name. Every school at the moment seems to have a troublemaker called Harrison

Blimey
Do you really believe that people grow like their names or is it not the case that people are individuals and their name if associated with them will acquire those connotations to those who know them?
I know which way my mind works having had innumerable teenagers -good, bad and indifferent- with all sorts of names in front of me over my teaching career. ???
As for laying down the law about what others “should or should not do” - is there a politer way to say MYOB? grin

Anniebach Sat 11-May-19 10:22:25

Seems they do want both .

DIL17 Sat 11-May-19 10:15:19

It's awful!

Archie is a nickname and they shouldn't be used as actual names.

Harrison is a naughty name. Every school at the moment seems to have a troublemaker called Harrison.

As others have said though, in terms of royalty, he isn't 'vital'. He's the son of a spare that won't be needed for succession. I honestly think thay as the Cambridge children grow and take on their more prominent roles, he'll fade into the background.

I am surprised though that he doesn't have a more royal name. It seems they want to shun protocol and tradition and if they want to do that, then renounce the titles and be private people. You can't have both.

Urmstongran Sat 11-May-19 08:11:55

Thanks paddyann for that - we’re off to Loch Lomond in September I shall look out for the town of Dumbarton when we go up!