Gransnet forums

Chat

Pet hate!

(67 Posts)
H1954 Thu 09-May-19 13:33:08

The recent announcement and the comments on GN regarding the new Royal baby's name got me thinking.

I DO NOT like to called or even read anyone else addressed as "Chick" "Hun" or "Babe"!

These are all popular on social media, why can't people use someone's correct name?

Jomarie Sat 11-May-19 19:53:51

Oh KatyK I would LOVE to be called bonnie lass by someone - you are SO lucky.....
I still remember with great fondness the series "When the Boat Comes In" with James Bolam- this is when my yearning to be called "bonnie lass" first surfaced smile

KatyK Sat 11-May-19 18:05:57

We know a Geordie chap who always calls me bonnie lass. I like it.

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 15:22:30

Yes I think it’s less about what’s said, than the way in which it’s said, most people would be mortified if they thought they’d offended you.

But, that said, to any tradesmen out there, who think it’s alright to call me sweetheart or darling, I’d prefer you didn’t!

allassinsane Sat 11-May-19 14:56:25

Around here it's doll or lass for women and lad for men which I like, though when we first moved here we thought it was funny. I don't like dear, darling, sweetheart, love etc. unless it's by my husband with "me" in front of it, as in "me dear" , or "me luv". Also don't like hun, babes, mate, pal etc. but if anyone does call me any of those, I'm not really offended by it, I just let it wash over me. Unless they say it in a VERY patronising way.angry

Nannyxthree Sat 11-May-19 14:56:13

Years ago I had a male colleague who called all the females at work 'petal'. I hated that and think it was to save remembering names.
Also knew someone who never called his boy by his name just 'son' or 'soner' - very odd!

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 11:27:21

I hate people referring to their children as kids as well, something I really hate, is men referring to their little boys as ‘mate’

sluttygran Sat 11-May-19 11:24:23

I don’t mind what people call me, so long as they’re pleasant with it, although I would love to be called ‘Ma’am’!
My pet hate is people calling their offspring ‘kids’. Goats have kids, humans have children!
It’s strange though, since she had children, my daughter addresses me as Nanna, and I tend to call her Mummy - only in front of the little ones, tho’ ! grin

Lyndiloo Sat 11-May-19 01:32:46

I do wish that I could use endearments when speaking to people, but I just can't. I've tried. I forced myself to call a cashier 'love' one time, and felt so embarassed that I've never done it again! (????) Yet I love people calling me 'Darling', 'Dear', 'Sweetheart' - whatever they choose, is OK by me.

I'm a Londoner, but have lived elsewhere for 50 years. The highlight of last year was making a trip back to London, and a cockney cabbie saying to me, "Where to, Ducks?" Ah, (Big Sigh) I'm home ... I could have kissed him!

moggie57 Sat 11-May-19 00:32:57

hate being called DEAR,,.another volunteer at our charity shop called me DARLING . told him i was offended by that.told him i'm not your darling and dont do it again. he looked at me like i was crazy...i find that too personal as i had only just been introduced to him.

instagran Fri 10-May-19 23:45:51

In the 1960s in Sheffield my dad could never get used to sometimes being called "loove" by OTHER MEN in shops etc.!

lmm6 Fri 10-May-19 22:38:57

My relative was in prison where all female warders whatever their age were called Miss. I quite liked it.

Joyfulnanna Fri 10-May-19 21:04:18

What about being called madam?

whywhywhy Fri 10-May-19 17:54:44

None of these bother me. When I lived in the North East some people called me pet, and I loved it. There are so many bad things happening in the world right now to worry about. This just seems trivial to me.

Yve1 Fri 10-May-19 17:13:18

I stopped using a local sandwich shop a few years ago as the man behind the counter called everyone ‘darlin’. It made me feel uncomfortable.

sharon103 Fri 10-May-19 16:36:29

Hun, babe, you guys, all make me cringe. I don't like being called madam either. Sorry.....I'm guilty of saying aww bless.

GrammaH Fri 10-May-19 16:11:54

I'm another who loathes hun, babes, you guys, hubby, fur babies etc as well. Also detest "the hubster" which really makes me cringe. DH never calls me anything at all as long as I'm within earshot - if he finds he has to shout me, he reluctantly uses my name! One day a year, we get invited to our local RAF base & I love it as there I'm referred to as ma'am- to rhyme with farm. I could get used to that!

Nvella Fri 10-May-19 15:18:52

I am another who HATES hun with a passion - and it’s misspelled!

Peardrop50 Fri 10-May-19 14:33:14

NannyC1, very amusing, I'll use that next time I hear a man refer to his 'bird'.

NannyC1 Fri 10-May-19 14:24:48

Where I am from we women get called Queen. Which is fine by me. I just straighten my crown and get on with my day.
Sometimes the lads refer to the g/f as me bird. But that's because of the worms they pick up!!

minxie Fri 10-May-19 14:05:49

A man comes into work everyday and calls me sweetheart and I like it, I don’t mind love, darling etc I don’t mind that either
I do detest the word hubby though it makes me cringe

maddyone Fri 10-May-19 13:52:49

I don't mind any of them, except perhaps 'dear' as it makes me feel old. All the others are friendly and kind. I quite like being called 'Madam ' too, especially in France. It's respectful in my opinion.
I call my own children 'chick' even though they're all grown up, but I've always called them chick, it's my pet name especially for them. I call my grandchildren 'chicken' or 'darling,' my husband calls them 'little darling ' because they are little and they are his darlings.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 10-May-19 13:17:46

I have always disliked "hen" which is commonly used to girls and women in the Glasgow area.

I've never found real hens all that appealing either.

lemongrove Fri 10-May-19 12:18:58

Hun is awful in my view, ditto babes.
Hubby is a bit grating, kiddies sounds sinister, but I don’t mind love or dear, or darling etc if said in a friendly non patronising way.
Guys seems to be used a lot now, it’s ok by me.

Sara65 Fri 10-May-19 11:59:06

I have a lovely friend, who always calls her husband ‘hubby’ it’s “hubby said this, and hubby did that “ it’s awful!

But what was worse, when I was a young mum, I was friendly with a girl, and when her husband came in from work, he’d call “hello Mummy “ and she’d reply “hello Daddy” ! What on earth was all that about!

Swanny Fri 10-May-19 11:30:20

One woman I meet with regularly calls everyone in the group 'Babes'. I'm sure it's because she can't be bothered to remember everyone's name smile

Another person I know always says she doesn't care what people call her as long as it's not late for dinner grin