Gransnet forums

Chat

I will miss you, Ruby Walsh

(16 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 19-May-19 14:40:50

Ruby Walsh is an Irish jockey, a man.

ninathenana Sun 19-May-19 14:14:29

When I read the thread title I confess I had no idea who she is.

GabriellaG54 Sun 19-May-19 14:03:29

Two of my children are in racing and have been for many years. I know many of the trainers and pundits past and present and was with family and racing friends to watch Jamie Osborne at the Martell GN @Aintree 1997.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 14-May-19 20:55:07

Our D has "evented" since a teen and wanted to "point to point" but circumstances/life took over. You can tell when a jockey has gentle hands.

phoenix Tue 14-May-19 20:48:51

Very much so, Izabella I know A.P. won more races, but I always felt he rode "hard" (perhaps that's why he won more?) but if I was an owner, I know which one I would rather ride my horse!

Izabella Tue 14-May-19 20:38:19

kind hands too

phoenix Tue 14-May-19 20:35:37

Thank you for the posts!

I could pick Ruby out from a long camera shot, without even seeing the colours clearly, just his riding style, the way he sat so quietly, always reading the race and knowing the horse.

I remember one race, a 3 miler, and he was leading from the start, which isn't usually good in a race of that distance! I was sure he would be overtaken, but against all odds he won!

A rare event in racing, to lead from start to finish over such a distance.

Alima Tue 14-May-19 20:26:28

I saw him on the news today. Never heard of him before. When they said he was 40 I was amazed, looks so much older. Didn’t Tegan like horse racing? Haven’t seen her on here for yonks. My Mum loved watching the horses, enjoyed having a flutter.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 14-May-19 20:24:53

My late Father loved horse racing, I hope he has a happy retirement.

Missfoodlove Tue 14-May-19 20:22:51

A great jockey and a gentleman.
Retired on a high after victories at Punchestown and Aintree.
Phoenix you are not alone.

crazyH Tue 14-May-19 20:17:08

Don't know anything about horse racing., but I do watch the grand national. To watch those elegant, yes elegant beasts do their bit is just mind blowing.

midgey Tue 14-May-19 20:10:35

A great rider Phoenix! May he enjoy a long and happy retirement.

kathsue Tue 14-May-19 19:42:20

Doesn't seem to be many racing fans on GN, phoenix. My husband and I always used to have a flutter on a Saturday afternoon. Ruby Walsh is one jockey I remember well. Always reliable and made me a few bob in the Grand National once.
I haven't been able to watch a horserace since DH died 12 years ago.

phoenix Tue 14-May-19 19:02:49

You are right, BlueBelle

BlueBelle Tue 14-May-19 18:46:44

Over my head no idea what you are on about Pheonix except something to do with horse racing I m guessing ?

phoenix Tue 14-May-19 18:45:02

Ruby is retiring, and although A.P. McCoy was the champion jockey 20 times, Ruby was (for me) the best.

He was a good, sensitive rider, sat "quiet" and knew when to push, when to pull, and how to keep enough in the tank!

The way Kauto Star raced under Ruby, compared to the times when A.P rode him (when Ruby was off with injuries) spoke volumes.

No doubt there will be posts from those who are anti racing, but for me Ruby was a gentleman among jockeys and I will miss seeing his quiet, sensitive riding.