Gransnet forums

Chat

Dreading turning 60 tomorrow

(111 Posts)
MarieLL59 Thu 16-May-19 23:12:31

Sorry this is a very self indulgent post. I’m 60 tomorrow and I feel very scared about the future. I feel that it’s all downhill from now on. For me this is worse than turning 40 or 50. Please don’t berate me because I realise the alternative is obviously worse, plus many people aren’t lucky enough to get to 60. I’m divorced, single with grown up children and grandchildren, I work full time as a nurse. So nothing to be miserable about etc, but I can’t believe i’m 60!! In my head i’m actually 22 so I feel there must be some mistake! The good thing about being this age is the insight I now seem to have, plus I know some pretty fabulous post 60 ladies, but that hasn’t helped me stop the feeling that time is running out for me. I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me if they felt the same, and does it get better?

Tangerine Thu 16-May-19 23:19:50

It's not all downhill. I am now nearer to 70 and I have been out and about to plenty of places and I mostly enjoy life. I am lucky, I realise, to be healthy still.

My advice is - forget the years, enjoy your birthday. I hope you're able to do something special to mark the landmark birthday.

TwiceAsNice Thu 16-May-19 23:19:58

Don’t be sad. I will be 66 in July also divorced big very happy, I don’t feel old although I do have some manageable health issues. 60 is the new 40 don’t you know!

You might live another 30 years. Enjoy !

TwiceAsNice Thu 16-May-19 23:20:16

Sorry but not big

rosecarmel Thu 16-May-19 23:21:26

My mum insisted she's been 25 since she hit 50 -- she's now 99 .. smile

Framilode Thu 16-May-19 23:22:27

You will always feel 22 in your head. Try not to feel sad, 60 is relatively young. I can remember feeling the same as you and now, 12 years later, it seems young. Happy Birthday.

rosecarmel Thu 16-May-19 23:50:18

Yes, happy birthday! .. smile

Coolgran65 Fri 17-May-19 00:21:20

I'm 70 in a couple of weeks and it's like..... Who...me ??
Make every day count.

jeanie99 Fri 17-May-19 00:42:25

The big birthdays have never concerned me in the least. The most important thing for me is health, how well I feel, the things I am capable of doing, having plenty of energy.
I retired at 62 yrs old and with my husband and a friend we backpacked round the world for 12 months a dream come true for me. The freedom to do just what I wanted to do after years of working.
Health is the most important thing in life not age.
I'm accumulating health issues now at 74 but I can still do all the things I want to do so life is good.

Jaffacake2 Fri 17-May-19 07:01:43

Happy birthday! Hope you have a wonderful day and embrace your next decade with family who love you,good health and happiness.

nonnasusie Fri 17-May-19 07:08:33

I got married a week after my 60th birthday then a week later moved to Italy. That was nearly 11 years ago! Forget the numbers, act your shoe size not your age. Buon compleanno ????

BlueBelle Fri 17-May-19 07:12:26

74 and still believe I m in my twenties but thinking I m lucky to still be around keep myself busy and still think I m invincible others tell me I m not , spoilsports
There are much much worse things than being 60 wish that was my next birthday blimey you’re a babe

Grannyknot Fri 17-May-19 07:37:30

Marie it really is just a number.

When I have to give my age, I say 49 ... as in 1949! wink

I've had a lot of fun since turning 60, and here I am turning 70 this year. I don't give it much thought.

Happy birthday!

aggie Fri 17-May-19 07:45:55

Happy Birthday flowers .
I got a new lease of life at 60 , retired , visited DS in New-Zealand , traveled alone as OH didn't fancy the long journey , had a great time , then took off for Japan to see DD3 the following year .
I am one of the lucky ones who could retire at 60 and making the most of it still wink at 81

varian Fri 17-May-19 08:00:00

Looking back I think my sixties were the best ten years of my life, both the most fulfilling careerwise and the happiest because of all my lovely grandchildren.
I know I was lucky to have good health and boundless energy. I continued to work well into my seventies but did start to get a bit weary. I hope you are able to enjoy your sixties - why not?

Sara65 Fri 17-May-19 08:01:55

Happy Birthday
Don’t you remember dreading turning 30? and then 40 etc

I dreaded it as well, I sometimes can’t believe I’m in my mid sixties! I feel no different than I felt in my mid twenties.

Time has started to run out of course, but all the more reason to make the most of what we have left

leyla Fri 17-May-19 08:12:10

Happy birthday! I hope you have a lovely day, although it's grey outside here!
I'm not far behind you and this year my DD will fly the nest to uni - I am dreading it. In the last few months I have been putting myself first a bit more - accepting all invitations to nights out, etc. so that I feel that I have my own life.
I have been trying to decide what to do in this next chapter of my life - I want to ensure that it is exciting, purposeful and fulfilling, not just marking time until I have grandchildren (if I am lucky).

Ginny42 Fri 17-May-19 08:13:46

77 today and I still work contracts and have a lively group of friends. When I was 68 I had to reinvent myself after divorce.

Try not to dwell on the years behind you, focus on what fabulous years you could have ahead. Each one pristine and waiting for you to put your mark on it. Whatever it is you've always wanted to do, - just DO it! Dream it and do it.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 17-May-19 08:16:42

Happy birthday. Life is what you make it, isn't it? Those big birthdays can seem daunting but they're just numbers. Think of all the accumulated wisdom you've gained. Would you want to go back to being young again? I certainly wouldn't.

Cherrytree59 Fri 17-May-19 08:47:09

MarieLL
Happy Birthday ?
I turned 60 last month.
It was fine.
I looked in the mirror and was just the same as day before.
In my head I am still in my 30's as I am still chasing young children around all be it my grandchildren now.

We are older but also wiser and can draw on the past experiences to make are future years count
A new chapter waiting for us to write the story....

My only my grumble was no state pension but on the plus side it means we are not called 'Old age pensioners'!smile

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-May-19 08:56:09

MarieLL59

Wishing you a very happy birthday ????

I am 61 still have no idea how that happened. It’s not “old” as it was in our Grans day.

I was more uncomfortable turning 40, than 60. Make the most of each day - enjoy the life you have.

Urmstongran Fri 17-May-19 09:13:52

I’m an optimistic person but must admit to feeling sad every now and again about my age. I’m 65y this August.

Once, musing on it, I thought of life as being in 5 stages.

0 - 15y school
15 - 30y job, marry and children
30 - 45y busy with teens
45 - 60y menopause, perhaps more money & time for self
60 - 75y (perhaps) a last shout out

Sorry if this seems downbeat but it is how I see it. I do (so far) enjoy good health with no mobility problems so I know I’m veryfortunate. I think it’s just how I feel - a bit sad thinking how much less is in front of me now.

But I shrug it off and try, like my husband, not to dwell on ageing too much!

B9exchange Fri 17-May-19 09:15:02

Many Happy Returns to you and to Ginny! cupcake

I too dreaded turning 60, it seemed a new era, I kept telling myself even the local newspaper would not be interested in the headline 'woman drops dead at 60'!

Ten years on, I didn't have quite the same dread about the next decade. I think at 60 you are forced to actually consider that at some point you really are going to die, and it makes sense to thoroughly enjoy the years you have left. Ten years ago women retired at 60, now you are expected to work on, so even the State doesn't think you are past it! grin

With any luck your health will hold out, and you could have up to 30 years left, as others have said. Enjoy your family, travel as much as work will allow, plan for fun things to do when you do retire. You are still a spring chicken, enjoy every minute!

Sar53 Fri 17-May-19 09:19:12

A very Happy Birthday to you. I'm 66 next month and certainly don't feel it. Don't worry about numbers just take each day as it comes. winecupcake

dragonfly46 Fri 17-May-19 09:23:47

I loved being 60! I got my bus pass, reductions at Boots, B&Q and many others. I got my teacher's pension, meagre though it is and I generally enjoyed life.

Now becoming 70 was a different matter .....