Gransnet forums

Chat

Railcard rights

(14 Posts)
jeanie99 Sat 25-May-19 10:47:41

I have just read this in the June issue of Which.

Many people don't know that if you wear hearing aids you can get a disabled rail card costing £20 for the year which is cheaper than the senior card.
Plus, any adult traveling with you is also entitled to the concession fare even if they don't have a railcard.

moggie57 Wed 29-May-19 02:42:26

yes i know ....it is a lot cheaper than a third off rail cards.

maryeliza54 Wed 29-May-19 07:44:16

It is extraordinarily generous compared with having mobility problems. I wonder what the thinking is behind it?

Abuelamia Wed 29-May-19 07:55:18

If you have a mobility problem then you are entitled to a disabled rail card and would enjoy the benefits received by a hearing aid wearer.
For those that do not qualify for a disabled card then a senior card is only £10 more a year or if you need to travel with a companion there is a two together card, also only £10 more a year.
I imagine that hearing aid wearers are entitled because many will not hear announcements and may struggle with responses at ticket offices etc. thus they would need a travelling companion.

maryeliza54 Wed 29-May-19 09:01:22

Sorry Abul it’s much more difficult than that. I have a blue badge but the bar to get a disabled rail card is very high indeed and is based on receipt of certain benefits. Re hearing aids, surely you are not saying that you can’t travel independently if you have an hearing aid? Surely many can- would be interested to hear the views of those that were hearing aids.

Abuelamia Wed 29-May-19 16:16:58

Maryeliza54, I do wear hearing aids and have done so since a youngster. I definitely can’t hear the announcements, which could prove quite dangerous. So In theory, I probably could travel independently but it is not really practical.

maryeliza54 Wed 29-May-19 16:20:06

Is that true for all people who wear hearing aids - I’m
Just interested because I don’t know anyone who does

chelseababy Wed 29-May-19 19:30:04

You just need to provide a copy of your battery booklet (?). I'm having a hearing aid fitted tomorrow so I've been looking into it.

mrsmopp Wed 29-May-19 19:45:57

Travel for deaf people is very stressful because you don't hear announcements. I had to change train once and they announced a platform change. Thus I missed my connection and was massively delayed. I couldn't phone the people at the other end either so it was chaotic.

maryeliza54 Wed 29-May-19 20:03:27

Thanks for that info - I hadn’t realised the issue of announcements and hearing aids. It’s easy to get wrapped up in your own disability - I can’t get on and off( especially the latter) trains without help and if there’s a late platform change I can’t manage safely in the rush or move quickly enough. What is needed is more awareness of the travel problems of different disabilities and the need for more help eg a companion. I suppose the hearing aid issue is very simple to evidence, mobility not so much.

Franbern Tue 25-Jun-19 09:49:56

Just want to add that anyone with a severe mobility problem can get Passenger Assistance at train stations.
Earlier this year I had a fall which resulted in a fractured spine. I had previously booked to go from Paddington to Weston super Mare, a journey I have made on several times previously, but filled me with horror at the thought as it approached less than a month after that fall. I was having great problems walking more than few metres and had no idea how I was to get myself and my wheeled case around.
Paddington Passenger Assistance picked me and my case up at the underground exit and took me firstly to Waiting lounge, and from there to the train where they put my case on the train and waited until I was in my seat.
Was met at the other end in WsM and taken by them off the train and to the exit gate where I was met by my daughter.
Also TFL provided similar assistance as I crossed London on the underground system. Absolutely wonderful. I
I have had a Disabled Rail card for some years on the basis of my brown book for hearing aids, but have always managed without any assistance.
Cannot praise enough the assistance I was given.

DoraMarr Tue 25-Jun-19 17:01:26

I’m raising a cheer for Brittany Ferries. In April I travelled from Santander to Portsmouth with my partner, who has PD and uses a stick. When we were checking in the very kind woman at the desk asked if we would like assistance. Three staff members wheeled our suitcases including mine, although I am capable of wheeling it myself, bypassed the queue and took us to our cabin, then helped us in the same way on disembarking. This has made us consider using Brittany Ferries again. We had a great cabin too.

MawBroonsback Tue 25-Jun-19 17:21:30

May I also recommend Passenger Assistance?
It always worked brilliantly for Paw and me travelling to London for Royal Free appointments etc.
You don’t have that long trek up to and across the concourse (and then down to the taxis) but are met from the train with the “buggy”.
There is also the Passenger Lounge to wait for your buggy to take you down to your train and somebody to help you board , keeping other passengers from jostling you if necessary. It was especially invaluable on one occasion where a late platform change at MK would have meant getting the lift up to the concourse and down to the new platform. Paw could only move slowly with two sticks and no way would we have made it alone, but with Assistance they not only reassured, helped and accompanied us, but phoned over to the platform and held the train. You can imagine the relief from stress especially for me!

Keeper1 Fri 05-Jul-19 12:27:43

In regard to hearing aid users the company I work for has been trying for years to improve facilities on board transport and how with the correct assistive listening installed hearing aid users would be have equality of access.