Gransnet forums

Chat

Birthday treat dilemma.

(30 Posts)
vickymeldrew Mon 27-May-19 14:52:20

I have a significant birthday coming up. A close friend is treating me to a day out soon and the destination is a surprise. She has told me the dress code and to bring my passport (not going abroad/just for ID). I think I have guessed where she is taking me. My dilemma is, if I am correct then I went there last year, so if she asks me, do I say I have been before or keep shtum?

FlexibleFriend Mon 27-May-19 14:57:55

I'm a rubbish liar so I'd tell the truth. Is it the kind of place you'd like to visit again? If so just be honest and say yes I've been before but have wanted to come again.

Coolgran65 Mon 27-May-19 15:10:49

Just say you love it and always wanted to return.

Interesting that you will need ID.

BlueBelle Mon 27-May-19 15:16:18

Now I m really curious where do you need ID to get in apart from a 16 year old going to a night club ?

Humbertbear Mon 27-May-19 16:58:58

You need your passport for the SkyGarden in London. It’s free, with fantastic views but you have to book and go through airport security

winterwhite Mon 27-May-19 17:08:01

Dresscode for the SkyGarden??

M0nica Mon 27-May-19 17:12:09

We needed them for lunch on one of the forts in the sea just off Portsmouth (and if I knew I was making a second visit there I would be over the moon), the experience was fantastic.

We needed them in France (as did French nationals) when we went to visit one of their nuclear power stations. It was a visitor centre, so had people visiting daily - but not without a passport.

BlueBelle Mon 27-May-19 17:21:47

Well how the other half live I ve never heard of using a passport except at an airport so you live and learn

crystaltipps Mon 27-May-19 17:27:52

You don’t need passport at Sky Garden, but you do need to book in advance with details etc and you go through security scanners like at an airport. It’s free though and worth it if you are in London- you can eat there and have tea/ drinks etc

M0nica Mon 27-May-19 17:28:19

I needed my passport to sign up to the computer system that is now virtually the only way I can make an appointment to see my GP. In fact I needed it twice, once when I went into the surgery to complete the form and again when they gave me my passport.

I find I am constantly being asked to prove who I am; banks, Building Societies, solicitors.

I expect anyday to be asked to produce it in the supermarket when I spend more than £25 to prove I am not trying to money launder some ill gotten gains,

crystaltipps Mon 27-May-19 17:28:34

Maybe you are eating at a posh restaurant like the Shard?

M0nica Mon 27-May-19 17:28:52

end of first para should be password not passport.

Nannyxthree Mon 27-May-19 17:51:48

You need a passport (or other photo ID) to visit Prince Charles' Highgrove gardens and also the roof garden in Kensington which used to be Derry & Toms(?)

janeainsworth Mon 27-May-19 18:34:14

The Kensington Roof Gardens would be a real treat.
I went there over 20 years ago with a friend and our 2 DD’s who were about 13 at the time.
The doorman said we couldn’t go up as it was closed for a private party. Then, seeing our disappointed faces, he said it wasn’t going to be used for another couple of hours and we could go up and have a quick look.
It was magical. The garden was lovely and I couldn’t believe how quiet it was, only a few floors up from the busy street.
Enjoy your celebration vicky wherever it turns out to beflowers

BlueBelle Mon 27-May-19 18:38:40

Oh so different if you don’t live in London then

Sara65 Mon 27-May-19 18:43:34

I agree Bluebelle, never even taken my passport anywhere but an airport!
Sounds exiting Vicky!

crazyH Mon 27-May-19 18:55:50

Have a lovely time Vicky, with your dear friend. I'm more curious than you, so dont forget to let us know where and how it was ....nosey, that's me ?

seasider Mon 27-May-19 19:13:14

She is probably excited about surprising you so I would say nothing . Hope you have a lovely day .

M0nica Mon 27-May-19 20:57:37

No, I am not eating at posh restaurants and certainly not The Shard. I passed by the base of it last week. An underwhelming building that looks a lot smaller than it is made out to be. Totally unmemorable if they hadn't made such a fuss about it.

I needed my passport ( twice)to get an appointment with my GP, even then I was unsuccessful. I needed it to show my solicitor when I took over the administration of a deceased relatives estate, I needed it again when I had to transfer some money from my bank account to the solicitor to pay their charges. You need your passport if you buy a house (not done that for along time, but I remember having to produce it)

I find I am constantly having to prove who I am for more and more trivial reasons. As I said it will be the supermarkets soon wanting them if our food purchase bill is bigger than average.

And I live nearly 70 miles from London.

BlueBelle Mon 27-May-19 21:34:51

Well I ve still never used my passport for anything other than the airport Monica my Mum and Dad never ever had a passport but successfully bought their house I ve certainly never had to show one at the doctors or solicitors not that Ive used avsolicitors much Maybe it does depend where you live

M0nica Mon 27-May-19 21:50:04

Wait until your surgery decides that it cannot cope with the demand for its services and decides that you can no longer go into the surgery and book an appointment.

We now have to ring in and will be rung back and triaged by a doctor or we go online and do it that way. Either way no triage call, no appointment and no guarantee of one even then..

Ours is not the first surgery to introduce this system by a long way and it certainly will not be the last. Sooner or later every surgery will be on it.

We didn't need passports for our first four houses, but we did for this one. It is money laundering legislation that makes it necessary for passports to be required for almost any financial operation these days.

FlexibleFriend Mon 27-May-19 22:41:57

Well I'm a Londoner lived here all my life and I no longer have a valid passport. I've only used it for holidays involving airports, other than that my driving licence has always sufficed. I have no intentions of replacing my passport as my condition means I can't fly. If I decide to buy a house I'm sure they'll find a way around it as it will mean the funds are quite obviously coming from my current property.

Tangerine Mon 27-May-19 22:48:11

I think it will be difficult to pretend you've never been there before. You'd have to act a part all day.

Lots of places are great to visit twice so does it really matter if you've been before?

I think I'd be upfront and tell the truth. Enjoy!

BlueBelle Tue 28-May-19 02:41:45

I m really looking forward to hearing where it is you’re going with you special clothes and passport ?

BradfordLass72 Tue 28-May-19 08:48:33

so if she asks me, do I say I have been before or keep shtum?

Big If... never trouble trouble, 'til trouble troubles you smile

Keep schtum until it happens and then decide what to say.
Happy Birthday and have a wonderful time. flowers