Gransnet forums

Chat

Great Tits

(49 Posts)
MotherHubbard Wed 05-Jun-19 12:39:30

I bought my husband a nesting box and camera for Xmas. A few weeks ago we were really excited to find that a male and female Great Tit had started building their nest in the box. We have been watching them daily and were even more excited to see two eggs in the nest. However, although the female is constantly on the nest no more eggs have appeared in around two weeks and according to Springwatch most chicks have hatched by now. Wondered if any Gran would have any ideas/info - have looked on internet but this doesn’t seem normal behaviour for Great Tits.

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 18:16:50

GN at its best !!!!

Really? Please no.

gillybob Wed 05-Jun-19 18:23:38

Oh come on Gonegirl what’s wrong with having a giggle ? I have had anither sh*tty day and threads like this make me smile (a rarety these days) so thank you MotherHubbard smile

PamelaJ1 Wed 05-Jun-19 18:31:57

I was going to say thank you?.
We have a box just above the bedroom window and love watching the chicks leaving to fly by flying from the box to the clematis.
So funny when one landed on a frond(?) and fell off because it was too heavy.

shysal Wed 05-Jun-19 18:41:06

Gonegirl, I bet you aren't a fan of the I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue radio 4 programme. Schoolboy/girl humour at its best!

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 18:49:37

"Thank you MotherHubbard"?!

It was a post about birds! If you want humour, can it pleeease be funny.

I liked Just a Minute when it first started but it's got very tired now.

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 18:50:49

Ah. Wrong programme. Don't think I'vewatched/listened to that one.

phoenix Wed 05-Jun-19 18:53:22

Gonegirl it's not on currently (ISIHAC, that is) but should be back in the Autumn.

Worth a listen!

SynchroSwimmer Wed 05-Jun-19 18:53:23

Tits like coconuts

- but Robins prefer worms!

Sorry, leaving the room now....

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 18:58:43

I will have a listen when it's next on phoenix. Bet they can make that sort of humour funny.

Oldandverygrey Wed 05-Jun-19 19:02:43

GN at its best!!

Sincerely hope not.

seacliff Wed 05-Jun-19 19:37:12

Ha ha when I saw that title, I sort of guessed what it was about (innocent bird version).

But I also had a snigger and thought, now is that a Phoenix post? They are very distinctive. Glad I'm not the only one with a warped mind grin

seacliff Wed 05-Jun-19 19:46:09

Sorry MotherHubbard, please excuse us all flowers.

It is sad about your birds, but it doesn't sound too hopeful. Our blue tits hatched a couple of weeks ago. It is strange that the mother is still sitting. Maybe you could ask a question on a Bird forum, you might get more sense. Good luck, it is great to see them on camera. Hope next year is better for you. Sometimes a bird sleeps in the box in winter. Try this site - community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/

Doodle Wed 05-Jun-19 20:42:31

Sorry motherhubbard we are like naughty children looking up rude words in a dictionary.
I must admit when I first saw your Great Tits post My thought was to say Thank you - rather pleased with them myself........now I’m just going to sidle away with the others...come on phoenix blush

MotherHubbard Thu 06-Jun-19 07:28:35

Thanks to everyone who replied on topic( or not - ?). I will keep you updated should any little Tits arrive. By the way, on a more serious note after posting this yesterday we had to go to hospital where my husband was told he’s got a rare blood cancer. Have just read out some of your replies and it has lightened our morning x

Urmstongran Thu 06-Jun-19 07:37:45

Oh MH that must be devastating news to hear. I am so sorry for you both. I hope your husband’s treatment goes well with a good outlook.

I too was just about to post a saucy response to your thread but I won’t now - it would be inappropriate.

Best wishes. x

MotherHubbard Thu 06-Jun-19 07:50:18

Oh please carry on Urmstongran, I didn’t post to stop the thread, humour is one of the best ways I find of dealing with difficult situations- what’s the expression about if we weren’t laughing we’d be crying.

Urmstongran Thu 06-Jun-19 07:54:20

Ah bless you!

Well if you’re sure? I was just going to say ‘another potty mind here’ ....

MotherHubbard Thu 06-Jun-19 07:59:47

GOOD NEWS- the two eggs have hatched just now. Am so excited and happy for mother bird. They look like little aliens, it’s going to be really interesting watching them grow over the next two weeks.

Marmight Thu 06-Jun-19 08:01:00

My tits have just fledged
(N.B. must buy new bra)

So sorry to hear about your husband MH flowers

Buffybee Thu 06-Jun-19 08:24:01

You lot are so naughty.......thanks for the giggle.

Great news about the chicks MH flowers

BradfordLass72 Thu 06-Jun-19 09:04:14

For those who don't have birds to watch, there are many webcams online. This one is good:
www.wildlifetrusts.org/webcams

So sorry to hear about your husband MotherHubbard, maybe this will make him smile.

The nun joke reminded me of a real-life incident, well over 40 years ago now. I had sent for something, its delivery to be confirmed by my signature at the door.

I was in the shower and had just soaped myself when I heard an importunate ringing of the door bell.
Now, if you don't sign for a package, they take it away and leave a card and you have to go to all the trouble of ringing them and arranging another delivery time. So of course I didn't want that hassle.
I wrapped myself in a large towel and went to the door, only to find my rather snooty neighbour. She'd locked herself out and wanted to use my phone.

She looked me up and down disapprovingly (she showers at 6am each morning after going for a 10km run) and it was almost 8 o' clock shock and coming to the door clad only in a towel, well, what a slattern ! grin

I clutched the towel tighter around me and said, 'Oh sorry, Judith, I was expecting the postman.'

GrannyGravy13 Thu 06-Jun-19 09:36:19

MH good news about your little birds.

Sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis.

GabriellaG54 Thu 06-Jun-19 12:09:18

Yes...I've been told that many times. ???