Gransnet forums

Chat

In need of sex education

(65 Posts)
Mumsyface Sun 09-Jun-19 23:56:50

After seeing a news item about a protest relating to LGBT inclusive education in schools, and DH refusing to discuss current social issues I decided to attempt some self education on the topic (there were only two genders when I was at school, and being anything other than heterosexual was illegal; and we were obliged to consider it immoral and sinful too).
So I started with Wikipedia and read about a range of non-binary identities such as a gender, gender-fluid, and genderqueer. Unfortunately I seem to lack sufficient imagination to be able to understand what I was reading.
The question is whether I can safely ignore the issue as it doesn’t seem to relate directly to me, or should I continue my attempts at self education? As a generalisation I like to try to keep up with current affairs but this one is challenging my intellectual capacity.
What do you all think?

allule Mon 10-Jun-19 10:51:57

Another one agreeing with Bluebell!
I'm puzzled that people who object to the categories of male and female are so keen to establish new categories, and new initials.
I'd like to think of everyone as an individual, wherever they want to be on the spectrum of sexuality, dressing, behaviour.
I cannot see that these disparate groups are a 'community'

Margaux Mon 10-Jun-19 11:00:38

To each their own. As I get older, I increasingly feel that I can made a clear distinction between what I need to know, and what I don't need to know. I am quite happy for other people's sexuality to be their own business. I hope that doesn't sound blinkered.

humptydumpty Mon 10-Jun-19 11:02:10

I agree, Margaux, and I'd go further and suggest that there are so very many more important things about people than their sexuality.

Blinko Mon 10-Jun-19 11:05:00

What's with all these initials, anyway? Why can't people just be people any more? It seems the smaller the minority the longer the set of initials becomes.

Blinko Mon 10-Jun-19 11:05:25

Is there a tin hat icon?

Hm999 Mon 10-Jun-19 11:08:13

We are grandparents, and often have more time with the children to talk things over, hopefully in a non-judgemental way. As a retired secondary teacher, in my opinion the worst thing a child can feel is being isolated; in an adolescent that often relates to feelings of burgeoning sexuality.

Mumsyface Mon 10-Jun-19 11:24:18

Thank you to the biologist for the observation that this range of variation happens in all species - you have furthered my education.
Further to my original post I merely seek to understand sufficient to be able to relate to my fellow human beings without offending anyone. I really don’t, as yet, know the correct jargon for this topic but I think a chat with my younger son and teenage granddaughters might continue to further my education. Have always wished to keep up to date with current affairs but have failed dmiserably with this one.
PS. I don’t think I have my head up my backside, merely interested in the continually evolving world around me ?

crazyH Mon 10-Jun-19 11:33:04

Why do any of us, especially at our age, want to question the sexuality of others. I don't even know what LGBT stands for. I could look it up I'm sure, but I'm not interested. We have all been created in God's likeness . And since I don't question whether God is male or female, I do not question anyone else's sexuality, unless I was going to be intimately involved with them. To each his own ......

Luckygirl Mon 10-Jun-19 11:40:44

crazyH - I should start with LGBT and then graduate to LGBTQIA.

Live and let live is my view; but I do not think anyone should feel obliged to learn exactly what all this means unless they have an interest in the subject and wish to do so.

I hope that I treat anyone who comes within my orbit with good manners without having to know their gender orientation or the details of their sexual activities. .

Boosgran Mon 10-Jun-19 11:44:35

Hear hear BlueBelle completely agree.

Aepgirl Mon 10-Jun-19 12:40:52

I am totally fed up with people wearing their sexuality like a badge. Whoever we love is completely personal and as long as it doesn’t hurt anybody else, it doesn’t bother me. There are far worse problems in this troubled world of ours.

Aepgirl Mon 10-Jun-19 12:43:52

I am totally fed up with people wearing their sexuality like a badge. Whoever you love is completely personal and provided nobody else is hurt or injured it shouldn’t matter. There are far worse troubles in this troubled world of ours.

GillT57 Mon 10-Jun-19 12:51:52

Most of us, like absent are indifferent to people's sexual habits as long as they do not involve co-ercion or under age people. But, this ghastly business outside Birmingham schools is a case in point. Some muslim parents ( and a lot of professional rent a mob) are demanding that their children be withdrawn from classes which are teaching said children that we are and can all be different and that it is ok to be different. If it wasn't so sad it would be ironic.

Jaycee5 Mon 10-Jun-19 13:00:16

There have always been three but intersex (previously called hermaphroditism) was not taught which must have made it difficult for those that had to deal with it. It has always been recognised medically as a sex but unfortunately even now people confuse it with transgenderism.
Beyond that I think that you only need to research it so far as it is of interest to you. If you meet anyone who says that they are something that you haven't come across, then either nod politely or look it up if you want to know.
I am not really interested in people's sex lives. I would stand up for someone who was being abused or insulted as a result of whatever they are but so far as the protests are concerned, it is really about whether people with extreme religious beliefs should be able to put those beliefs above the rights of others. People do often talk about how lonely and confused they felt as teenagers and how much earlier education would have helped them. The protesters are people who think that homosexuality is a choice and that people should choose against it.

yggdrasil Mon 10-Jun-19 13:51:19

Gonegirl: I don't believe it's quite so widespread as people make out. Most people are simply man/woman loves man/woman. They get together and have kids.

About 10% of the population is gay or lesbian. This also applies to animals, there was a TV programme last week called My Gay Dog that was very serious and pointed out these facts. So you might as well get used to it. Although as you say, it doesn't really matter if you don't know about that one in ten of your friends or family.

M0nica Mon 10-Jun-19 14:33:30

Why do we need to 'understand' in any detail? Just accept everyone whatever they be for who they are and that is the end of it.

As a heterosexual female with a long time partner, I know what happens in my bedroom, I have no idea what happens in the bedrooms of other hetero sexual couples because we are all different in preferences and pleasures.

Forget about the nitty gritty of genital differences. There are plenty of differences in those that are clearly male and female and do you go round trying to guess what the genitals of anyone you speak to look like. I don't. so what does it matter what a transgendered person's genitals look like or what they do with who.

MaryXYX Mon 10-Jun-19 14:56:27

You probably do know people who are gay, lesbian or some other variety. It's a pity if they feel they have to hide this from you because they can't trust you.

Luckygirl Mon 10-Jun-19 15:25:25

Why would they hide it or not trust "you" (whoever that might be)?

Pat1949 Mon 10-Jun-19 16:24:19

I agree with you Rosina. Live and let live.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 10-Jun-19 16:29:59

Well suddenly LBGT has grown to LBGTQIA

What do the extra letters stand for?

By the way, I'm in agreement with Bluebell too.

Skye17 Mon 10-Jun-19 16:33:16

Re the proportion of the population who are LGB, the Office of National Statistics states:

‘Over the last five years, the proportion of the UK population identifying as lesbian, gay or bisexual (LGB) has increased from 1.5% in 2012 to 2.0% in 2017, although the latest figure is unchanged from 2016.’
www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/sexuality/bulletins/sexualidentityuk/2017

I have seen figures of 2-3% elsewhere as well.

maryhoffman37 Mon 10-Jun-19 17:09:50

HannahLoisLuke: Queer, Intersex and Asexual.

Missiseff Mon 10-Jun-19 17:19:41

'Current affairs' Men loving Men & Women loving women has been going on since the Universe evolved, it's not a recent trend!

CyclingKnitter Mon 10-Jun-19 17:40:28

If only it were as easy as “live and let live”. Tell that to the women beaten up on the bus or who had stones thrown at them. People may become a “community” as a means of protection, to fight in a united way for their rights or just so they can feel comfortable and relaxed with others. As for “wearing your sexuality like a badge”: the problem is that the default assumption is always that someone is heterosexual. Saying “my wife” when you’re female or “my husband” when you’re male, or being in the process of transition when your transgender -gives- you a badge whether you want one or not. We live in a white, heteronormative, male society and anyone different is, in general, negatively defined in relation to that norm.

Legs55 Mon 10-Jun-19 18:37:43

My DD is in a same sex marriage. DiL knew from an early age that she was gay, DD didn't find out until her 20s. They are happy, I have 2 lovely DGS who have 2 loving Mums. My DM is 90 & always introduces them as my Granddaughters.

I don't wish to have any-ones sexuality thrust into my facehmm, it's their business what they do in the privacy of their own bedroom. I am tolerant of others differences be it race, colour or sexuality.