Gransnet forums

Chat

Are Gransnetters glowing in the heat?

(82 Posts)
Marilla Tue 25-Jun-19 15:15:30

I always imagine in hot weather to be wearing a pretty dress, sitting relaxed and cool in a deck chair with a book and simply glowing. Instead, I am wearing an old grey tee shirt, Eric Morcombe shorts and the sweat is running down my eyes. My hair is sticking to my neck and forehead and I feel an absolute mess! ? Not a good look! ?

blondenana Tue 25-Jun-19 18:37:08

Rain all day here too, different to last year, not cold though,
Jeans t shirt and thin cardi, but good forecast for next week,
Apparently some European countries are going to have 45dg heat next week, southern France being one, just where my daughter is going next week, and my son in Spain says it is too hot, has been all year apart from a couple of weeks

SueDonim Tue 25-Jun-19 18:39:43

Ninathenana I am wearing a chunky cardigan! And sheepskin slippers to keep my feet warm. It's blooming nippy.

The wild foxgloves have only come out here in the last three or four days - I thought I'd missed them when I was away on holiday but no, they're just very late.

watermeadow Tue 25-Jun-19 18:51:40

“Horses sweat and men perspire but women merely glow”
It’s very humid here, which makes my ankles swell badly, but indoors is quite cool.
My little old house was designed to be cool in summer and freezing in winter.

Cherrytree59 Tue 25-Jun-19 19:14:04

I glow all year round thanks to the menopause.

Weather wise yesterday was very humid.
Today much cooler and has rained for most of the the day. ☔ ☔ ☔

Hopefully a dryer day tomorrow as my little 5 yr old grandson is taking part in the Race for Life on what will be a very squelchy field.

Pittcity Tue 25-Jun-19 19:17:45

Even DS, who is ok with heat declared today a "two shower" day. It's really humid in East Anglia and I'm glowing just sitting still.

M0nica Tue 25-Jun-19 19:50:42

I am sitting in Oxfordshire typing this, with warm socks and a cardigan on.

DH has just rung from Antwetp, Belgium to say that it is sweltering hot there.

MiniMoon Tue 25-Jun-19 21:19:42

I'm looking after my granddaughter's goldfish while they are on holiday. Walking back to my house I breathed out heavily and my glasses steamed up ?! At least it isn't raining, yet.

Fennel Wed 26-Jun-19 09:41:55

It's still cool and damp here - Tyneside.

KatyK Wed 26-Jun-19 09:47:26

What heat? confused

GabriellaG54 Wed 26-Jun-19 11:31:39

I haven't had any heating on since the end of Feb. I'm most comfortable in cool or cold weather or if there is a decent breeze in hot weather.
Temp here is 17 and climbing and I have windows wide open as they have been all night.
Luckily, not much rainfall here, certainly no mist or flooding.

felice Wed 26-Jun-19 13:08:07

Hot and sticky here about 30°, luckily my terrace is not overlooked as DD and I would have scared the horses sitting topless there yesterday afternoon.
It is the Ommengang Medieval Festival here this week Son in Law is taking part in a heavy velvet costume carrying a large crossbow.
DD has a large backpack of bottles of water which she and others will be handing out to the 300 cast members.
Hot. Worse in the rain as the costumes get very heavy.

merlotgran Wed 26-Jun-19 13:23:48

It's 18C here but I've been gardening in a jumper because of the breeze.

I doubt the heatwave will last long because I've just bought a tower fan to keep us cool!

EllanVannin Wed 26-Jun-19 13:29:03

I'm still wearing a jumper because of the sea breeze, a thinner jumper for the summer----it's only 18 degrees, nowhere near warm enough for me.

SueDonim Wed 26-Jun-19 14:09:00

16 deg and sunny here. I've still got a cardi on! grin

henetha Wed 26-Jun-19 15:26:51

Its muggy and warm in south Devon. Hardly a heat wave though. The sun has finally come out after a cloudy morning.

Gonegirl Wed 26-Jun-19 15:30:20

Sweating here. (There's nice) Berkshire. Moved into the shade. Much better. Nice breeze.

M0nica Wed 26-Jun-19 16:26:10

Used to be Berkshire but are now Oxfordshire. It is really quite cool here. I am wearing a cotton sweater over a long sleeved shirt and considering putting socks on.

GabriellaG54 Fri 28-Jun-19 11:42:48

It's lovely and warm
Down here in the South
I've socks on my feet
And ice in my mouth

My temperature's rising
Cheeks mottled and flushed
By the end of the day
I just know I'll be bushed

I'll be frank, I'm just dripping
With sweat down my back
And scanning YouTube
For the best cooling hack

No matter...I've melted
And all that is left
Is a puddle like piddle.
And a family bereft sad

Yorksherlass Fri 28-Jun-19 13:27:28

GabriellaG54 ha ha, loving the poem, more please .

Yorksherlass Fri 28-Jun-19 13:32:45

Btw best cooling hack I know is a ice cold bottle of water or gin or whatever floats your boat , under the left armpit , it cools the blood as it comes from the heart, you could even wrap it in something if you like ,?

Mamie Fri 28-Jun-19 14:22:53

It is 35° here in Normandy and 38° tomorrow. I have just spent an hour rocking gently in the hammock under the trees. We have every shutter and curtain tightly shut. We had done four hours in the garden by ten o'clock this morning, when we had to stop work.
Fortunately we have air conditioning in the bedroom.

Fennel Fri 28-Jun-19 15:49:32

Mamie I well remember those hot summer days.
We lived down south in the Gers near the Pyrenees and had a few weeks of it every summer. This year definitely hotter.The cereal farmers had to work at nights on their tractors. Don't know how the few animal farmers coped.
I was worried about our old english friends still there but she says they have an air-con unit which they can move from the living room to the bedroom.
Still about 23 degrees in NE England, maybe 28 tomorrow.

Mamie Fri 28-Jun-19 16:21:30

Fennel the lunchtime news said that today's 45° in the south has broken the previous record for France which was 44° in August 2003. Funnily enough we were on holiday in Les Landes that year, which was when we decided that it was too hot for us and we would move to Normandie.....

Fennel Fri 28-Jun-19 16:56:00

I remember the canicule of 2003, didn't realise it had got that hot. What made it worse down our way was that it hadn't rained for weeks and the clay soil dried out and caused structural damage in some houses.

Mamie Fri 28-Jun-19 17:31:20

Canicule is such a lovely word. All you want to do is lie in the shade and pant..... ??