Gransnet forums

Chat

Jeans at Wimbledon

(82 Posts)
Baggs Wed 10-Jul-19 13:03:32

I see in the paper that Meghan is being criticised for wearing jeans when she went to watch Serena Williams playing tennis on Centre Court. Apparently such daring is a definite no-no.

I wonder if anyone told her beforehand.

In the photograph I saw I think she looks smarter than the people sitting beside her.

Anniebach Wed 10-Jul-19 14:17:41

Kate would have security but there were no empty seats

This is not bashing Megan, it is not what we expect at Wimbledon .

Court 1, Serena Williams playing !

kittylester Wed 10-Jul-19 14:18:34

My DD went to Wimbledon in jeans.

Gonegirl Wed 10-Jul-19 14:19:30

I was surprised. But she looked ok.

Can you tell I don't care?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 10-Jul-19 14:47:38

Someone in the media has got it in for the Duchess of Sussex, I am beginning to sympathise with her and the Duke.

I should imagine that their office staff do discretely check out websites where they are being discussed, I can only hope they never pass on any Gransnett threads to them.

SirChenjin Wed 10-Jul-19 14:50:04

Why on earth would their staff be checking out Gransnet?! Even if there were I’m sure they really don’t give 2 hoots what we’re saying about any of the RF - it’s a free country confused

eazybee Wed 10-Jul-19 14:50:56

She turned up with Harry at a sports event when they first knew each other in ripped jeans, but that was in America.
She knows perfectly well what the dress code is for Wimbledon; just Desperately Trying To Be Different from the Duchess of Cambridge and establishing herself as a Private Citizen (subject actually).
She won't win, because DoC isn't playing.

merlotgran Wed 10-Jul-19 14:56:09

I don't think this thread is Meghan bashing. If something is reported in the public domain, it's natural to want to comment on it.

You have to admit, it did look odd.

Anniebach Wed 10-Jul-19 14:56:52

So funny, the man stopped from taking a photograph of Megan was taking a selfie. ?

Baggs Wed 10-Jul-19 15:15:55

My father used to say: "Never be afraid to be different".

Go Meghan!! I don't blame anyone "desperately wanting to be different from the Duchess of Cambridge". Not that I've anything against Kate but I wouldn't want to be like her either (fat chance anyhow ?).

It must be quite hard knowing that your life is essentially a public act.

Only one or two comments on this thread have been negative towards Meghan so those thinking it's a bitch fest perhaps need to re-read and re-assess.

Baggs Wed 10-Jul-19 15:17:33

Anyway, is the rule no denim in the Royal Box or no denim at all? Just for future reference ?

Baggs Wed 10-Jul-19 15:19:22

And just by the way, I think—no, I know—that denim is a much more environmentally friendly fabric than many another that is probably regarded by the high priests of The All England Tennis Club as properer (sic) than it.

Lessismore Wed 10-Jul-19 15:19:49

I reckon we don't know the half of it. They must be terrified of being hurt or their children being hurt. And they have to be all smiley. I suppose there will be snipers and security all over the place.

janeainsworth Wed 10-Jul-19 15:29:32

Baggs There's no dress code for ordinary spectators at Wimbledon. You can wear what you like. It might be a different matter if you're a recipient of corporate hospitality.

Gonegirl Wed 10-Jul-19 15:45:03

Yes! I read that mrrlot. grin

Gonegirl Wed 10-Jul-19 15:46:28

That's the agricultural way of saying your name.

Cherrytree59 Wed 10-Jul-19 15:46:34

Baggs I recently read a report to say that Denim is absolutely not enviromently friendly.

The cloth has to be rinsed several times after each dye process.

Most of our Denim cloth is produced abroad where the rinsing water is flushed down drains and into the rivers sad

Millie22 Wed 10-Jul-19 15:48:56

I'd love to go to Wimbledon but I'd wear a dress not jeans. I'm sure Kate wore a dress.

Rosina Wed 10-Jul-19 15:56:04

I can see why people were asked not to take photos - I've seen one of a man not five feet away - standing in the next tier down - clicking with his phone. How annoying and intrusive must that be? If you are on an official engagement you are fair game for photos but not a private visit; it is hardly going to be that private in any event.

Baggs Wed 10-Jul-19 16:11:37

I wondered about the dye, cherrytree, but it's the dye that's the problem, not the actual fabric. I would have though the fabric is no more of a problem than other types of cotton. And the reason is that it's not plastic so it biodegrades quickly and isn't an ocean pollutant.

Are all blue denim fabrics dyed the same way? Is indigo more of a problem than the dyes used for other fabrics?

Gonegirl Wed 10-Jul-19 16:15:33

It was Anniebach said the thing about the bloke taking a selfie, not merlot.

Baggs Wed 10-Jul-19 16:21:56

Quote from Times:

The All England Club said: “Any suggestion that the duchess’s visit was anything other than a privilege for the club is categorically not the view of the club and she is always welcome to attend the championships.”

So maybe the title saying Meghan had fallen foul of All England etiquette was bitching after all.

Corporate hospitality wasn't mentioned. It appears Meghan was there in a private capacity to watch her friend Serena Williams.

I repeat: Go Meghan! Don't let the bastards get you down, as the saying goes.

Anniebach Wed 10-Jul-19 16:25:30

Yes, the chap was taking a selfie Rosina,

S if the public take photographs it goes with the job of being a Windsor, no picking and choosing . If you don’t like the heat stay out of the kitchen is something she needs to learn . Her problem is ‘it’s my way only so tough’

Baggs Wed 10-Jul-19 17:15:04

annieb, why are you blaming Meghan? Has she said a single word on this subject? I don't think she can be blamed for the behaviour of her "security detail". They will take their instructions from other people than her.

merlotgran Wed 10-Jul-19 17:26:06

grin Gonegirl, I have a cousin who sounds like that.

Hampshire burr.

Anniebach Wed 10-Jul-19 17:31:09

Baggs I am not blaming her for wearing Jeans, I do blame her for having no consideration for those who had to wait for seats. Unless she hasn’t the capability to question why there were so many empty seats .

Security is discussed on every public appearance , private or public. And I question why a minor royal is treated differently to the future queen. Can it be the minor royal doesn’t listen to security whilst the future queen does ?

Wouldn’t you be concerned about the empty seats ?