Gransnet forums

Chat

I am not a robot

(7 Posts)
Elegran Sun 21-Jul-19 09:03:54

It is known as a "denial of service" attack - if it succeeds, the contact that server is providing would be unavailable to all its subscribers and any websites based on it would crash.

BradfordLass72 Sun 21-Jul-19 05:51:20

If you would like to know more:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot

BradfordLass72 Sun 21-Jul-19 05:50:11

It is to prevent the 'bots doing an auto-fill (by the multi-thousand) on such pages.
If these pages did not have a "proven human reaction" box, their servers could potentially be brought down by the mega use by bots.

Elegran Sat 20-Jul-19 11:49:16

The "I am not a robot" ones are easier to use than the Captcha ones. Some of those are impossible to decipher so you end up having to start again.

Elegran Sat 20-Jul-19 11:47:58

The point of it really is to prevent the form being "filled in" or intercepted by a robot - there are roaming "bots" on the net which are on the lookout for forms like these, to try to infiltrate yours or Gransnet's systems.

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 11:25:11

All this unnecessary nonsense uses up more juice than you anticipated making them the winners in this time-consuming crap which is usually on a loop ( repeated ) .

Aepgirl Sat 20-Jul-19 11:15:17

How I detest these ‘I am not a robot’ tick boxes (they accompany all GNs competitions now). When trying to tick all the right squares when using my iPhone or iPad, the boxes are so small that they have to be enlarged with the ‘pinch and drag’ method and even then it’s sometimes difficult to see all relevant boxes. Do they really prove that I am not a robot?