Gransnet forums

Chat

Apollo/Moon landing stuff

(93 Posts)
phoenix Sat 20-Jul-19 21:35:53

Hello all, usual good wishes.

Yes, it's 50 years since the moon landing, and it was (and continues to be) an absolutely amazing achievement, but..........the tv and radio time devoted to it is starting to irritate!

Is it just me?

maddyone Sun 21-Jul-19 11:07:38

Yes phoenix, it’s starting to bore me too. I understand that the younger generations need to understand the history, but those who are interested will engage, and those who are not interested will simply ignore it all.
I learnt today that three of the people who were at the forefront of actually getting the Americans to the moon were Nazi criminals who were guilty of horrible crimes during the Second World War. They had previously worked on the V1 and V2 rockets, designed to destroy the UK and ultimately win the war. Thousands and thousands of slave labourers died in those infamous factories during the development of those rockets, and the fact that these criminals avoided punishment because the USA wanted to take them to the America to continue their work in order to beat Russians to the moon absolutely disgusts me.

moobox Sun 21-Jul-19 11:08:00

I havent paid much attention until I just watched the 8 day programme - just lasted 1 1/2 hrs and it did amaze me that they did it and got back again

Bazza Sun 21-Jul-19 11:20:43

Truly an amazing incredible achievement but.....50 years on, I do wonder what benefits it has made to planet earth.

Aepgirl Sun 21-Jul-19 11:36:30

I thought it was a fantastic achievement then but I’ve had enough now. Let’s concentrate on good things that happen today.
We are all being told to use less fuel energy, plastic, etc, and just one rocket could undo all the good we are trying to do now.

Elegran Sun 21-Jul-19 11:49:27

But I don't think the TV coverage in inciting anyone to do it again . That was done already - at that time. It was brave and inspiring. The fact that you are bored with hearing about it is a testimony to the power of TV to show you amazing things ad infinitum - to the point of boredom. That boredomcan also extend to other things which should not bore - brave rescues, brave men and women protesting against inequality and neglect, against dictatorships and exploitation, invasions of countries and freedoms, news of scientific data showing the way man is raping the earth of resources and destroying resources that are in the way of profit, and man's inhumanity to man and rapaciousness to nature in all sphere. There are complaints of boredom at what an information/entertainment machine is showing in the way of entertaining and informatng - how about complaints just as loud about the mindless tripe that fill the screen hourly?

sarahellenwhitney Sun 21-Jul-19 11:52:01

Lessismore
Maybe dull for you, takes all kinds, but no doubt was an achievement and until the next time when who knows what next we may see as for sure unless we discover new horizens this world we presently inhabit, and gradually destroying, will cease to exist.

maddyone Sun 21-Jul-19 11:53:45

Elegran, you need to visit me, you’d hear plenty of complaints about the mindless tripe that fills our screen all the time. Whilst I agree with him, Mr M does a wonderful impression of Victor Meldrew when he is complaining about the mindless tripe.

Elegran Sun 21-Jul-19 11:57:07

As for rocket scientists and moon shots - they did at last put their expertise to positive use.

Could they have avoided taking part in the design and construction of V1 and V2 rockets, I wonder? Could any of our aircraft and bomb designers (Spitfires, Hurricanes, bouncing bombs, radar, foil "window") have refused to take part? Or was that OK because they were ours and working on the side of the angels?

quizqueen Sun 21-Jul-19 12:06:01

I'm one of those who doesn't believe it happened. I question everything which politicians tell the population. Lots of interesting theories on You Tube to watch, either for amusement or to make you think independently, rather than accepting all facts put out by the media as truth.

trendygran Sun 21-Jul-19 12:06:36

Phoenix. No it definitely isn’t just you. I have been getting fed up of hearing about this almost non stop for the past three days at least. Yes,it was a great achievement -but so much on this planet still to sort out!

jaylucy Sun 21-Jul-19 12:11:56

I can't say that there has been that much coverage really - unless you only have one or two channels to watch that is !
I think it is amazing the amount of experimental equipment they used and took with them and how some of it is in everyday use now!
Oh and Fourormore - get off your soapbox - I'm bored with people like yourself spouting out every time something that man has achieved and is now celebrated. Sincerely hope you are practicing what you preach in all aspects, but I doubt it!

Elegran Sun 21-Jul-19 12:13:41

Don't worry. It'll stop soon, and it will be as though it never happened. It can join the cats stuck up trees and the first babies of the New Year as non-news.

Sic transit gloria mundi. (on Monday, Gloria threw up on the school bus)

grandMattie Sun 21-Jul-19 12:25:17

Interesting. DH and I were wondering what proportion of the world population would actually remember this. We concluded that it was less than 25%. So, I suppose that more people find it fascinating than don’t. I concur that like many things, the beeb has gone a bit OTT

helenrj Sun 21-Jul-19 12:40:24

I think that it's overkill but my 6 year old grandson is fascinated. It saddens me as I was living in the USA at the time and there was a real feel good feeling, even though it was in the middle of the Vietnam war. Now I look at the state of America and the hatred and am glad I lived there in a better time

maddyone Sun 21-Jul-19 12:45:08

Elegran, I don’t think there was any need for that response.
Well yes, we were fighting fascism, it’s a fact.

Elegran Sun 21-Jul-19 12:50:48

Oh, there was a need for it, if you mean my 12:13:41 post, *Maddyone, as a reminder that what fills the news reports and the in-depth documentaries today will be used to wrap the fish and chips tomorrow (or would be if newspaper were still the insulatng wrapper of choice)

Diggingdoris Sun 21-Jul-19 13:18:28

I agree that everyday this week one programme or another has been talking about it, but then I realised that it's only us 'mature ' folks that experienced the excitement first hand.
But what was it all for in the first place, other than showing off to Russia? We haven't done anything to follow it up, and I agree that the plan to go again is a complete waste of money, as we are never going to live there are we? Money that could be spent making our world a better place.

maddyone Sun 21-Jul-19 13:30:30

No Elegran, I was alluding the post of 11.57,

‘Or was that okay because they were ours and working on the side of the angels?’

It is an undisputed fact that the UK and it’s allies fought fascism. There is no need for that tone, especially since we have just had the 75th celebrations D Day. We had a thread on Gransnet where many members related the stories of their fathers and other family members who were involved in that operation. Those people deserve respect, unlike the murdering users of free slave labour in their vile factories of death. Try reading a few first hand accounts, I’ve read quite a few, I can send you some titles in you would like me too.

Kim19 Sun 21-Jul-19 13:47:52

I lived in Cyprus on the day of the landing and I remember being fixated on the beautiful full moon and thinking 'Wow'. I also remember thinking something along the lines of 'We'll probably be living there in 50 years'. How wrong can one be?!!

CleoPanda Sun 21-Jul-19 13:56:25

I’m puzzled. Why are people watching something on TV that they have little or no interest in? Why watch something to the point of boredom? There are so many channels available and so many other things to do. The coverage, in my opinion has been excellent, interesting and appropriate for the anniversary. I’ve watched some, ignored some.
As for believing that it didn’t actually happen, I’m speechless.

RinOR Sun 21-Jul-19 14:03:50

Well stated. Thank you

BlueBelle Sun 21-Jul-19 14:18:17

If anyone can tell me what we have achieved from that piece of inventiveness 50 years on I ll listen
Yes I agree that the ability to rocket into space is scientifically clever but what for ??? To what end?? What good has it done ?
I call those men who rescued the Thai boys out of a cave brave I was riveted to the news reports for those days
I call lifeboatmen, paramedics, police, service personnel brave but these men just wanted the kudos of ‘being first’ and America and Russia wanted to beat each other and I can see nothing attractive about that
Let’s put the vast amounts of money spent on the space race (even that name is unappealing and just shrieks of me first me first)into solving problems we have already made on this planet before tramping off to destroy another
sarahellenwhitney to suggest we need to hurry up and get on another planet as we ve ruined this one we are on is about the most selfish sentence I ve seen in a long time

GinJeannie Sun 21-Jul-19 14:20:54

All the media coverage serves to distract our attention from far more important issues. Brexit not included!

Jaye53 Sun 21-Jul-19 14:30:28

Was it all a "con" tho.

Glammy57 Sun 21-Jul-19 14:38:08

I found it boring fifty years ago, and equally tedious now!

Also, I agree with everything BlueBelle wrote.