Gransnet forums

Chat

I can't understand why she did this

(50 Posts)
gilljack68 Wed 24-Jul-19 18:40:41

I work with a woman who has just announced she is pregnant, she is 27wks and really excited about it. BUT, last September she had a baby girl and said she didn't know she was pregnant. She had just come back from a holiday with girlfriends that day and went to A&E with stomach pains and gave birth. I understand this was a massive shock (if she's telling the truth), but she then left the baby in the hospital and went on holiday with her bf. I've even wondered if she knew and booked the holiday to have the baby and leave it there. She came back to work 4 wks later and told us all that she had been off with anaemia?? She didn't know we all knew cos our manager had told us thinking that she would keep it she was even taken off rota for rest of year!! Now, I could just about get this if she wasn't maternal at all and didn't want children but she must have got pregnant 3 mths later!! 1 of my colleagues congratulated her and asked how bf felt and she said he's excited he wants loads of kids!! I wonder if he knows about the first one and I know her parents think this is their first GK. I feel like telling them. I know I would be devastated if my daughter did this to me. She's off on maternity next mth but says she will come back. I just don't know if I can work with someone like this.

travelsafar Thu 25-Jul-19 08:29:41

Lets hope the baby has been adopted by someone who longed for a child and was unable to have one.

Let sleeping dogs lie it is not your business. Give the girl a chance to restart her life there may be many reasons not apparent to you why she did what she did.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 08:45:30

The whole story is baloney anyway - not a word of it is true imo.

Anniebach Thu 25-Jul-19 08:52:04

It doesn’t make sense. She had a baby, registered the birth with the baby’s father named. Left the baby in a hospital, went on holiday with her boyfriend, 3 months later is pregnant again and the boyfriend is excited !

Callistemon Thu 25-Jul-19 09:30:02

What kittylester and phoenix said

And, if you are new, OP, then welcome.

Callistemon Thu 25-Jul-19 09:32:19

Ps you could always look for another job if you feel you can't work with her.
Although it could be tricky at the moment as it is the school holidays hmm

MawBroonsback Thu 25-Jul-19 09:33:59

??????

Gonegirl Thu 25-Jul-19 09:45:30

Callistemon shock

And there was I, sorely tempted to say don't believe a word of it. grin

jessycake Thu 25-Jul-19 09:46:59

If this is true , I doubt she will just come out of this unscathed . She will have made this decision when she was very shocked and frightened . I would find it hard to work with my manager knowing any personal information would be divulged to the rest of the staff .

grandtanteJE65 Sat 27-Jul-19 13:51:10

You say you work with this woman, not that she is a close friend, so why are you involving yourself in this?

I doubt any woman in this day and age actually lives through all nine months of a pregnancy without realising that she is going to have a baby.

So either she is a pathological liar and there wasn't a baby last year, or poor soul, she felt forced to give the child up for adoption, or had a severely handicapped child that she didn't have the strength to take home and placed in care. I imagine you can still do this with hideously handicapped children?

Your manager had absolutely no business telling her staff any of all this.

You can and should ignore what you have been told of your work-mate's private business and merely congratulate her on the birth of her baby when it arrives.

In your place instead of concerning myself about your work-mate's problematical motherhood, I would start looking for a new job, somewhere where the manager is capable of not gossiping about her staff. How do you know this is not a pack of lies, or that the manager is not spreading damaging and untrue gossip about you?

fizzers Sat 27-Jul-19 14:17:11

how do you know the manager isn't telling a pack of lies?

MagicWand Sat 27-Jul-19 14:48:58

In your place instead of concerning myself about your work-mate's problematical motherhood, I would start looking for a new job, somewhere where the manager is capable of not gossiping about her staff.

Absolutely agree grandtante I would be looking for another job as soon as possible. I couldn't work in an atmosphere where privileged personal information seen by the manager is allowed to become office gossip.

sodapop Sat 27-Jul-19 15:05:05

I agree grandetante and Magicwand totally unprofessional behaviour. I don't think I would want to work in an office where people were so unpleasant to their colleagues.

Urmstongran Sat 27-Jul-19 15:34:36

The school holidays do seem to throw up a lot of strange problems don’t they?

Squiffy Sat 27-Jul-19 16:13:20

Apparently, HQ don't have any reason to doubt that this poster is genuine !

Callistemon Sat 27-Jul-19 18:05:51

Squiffy grin
It's the GNHQ weekend staff! They are so nice.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Jul-19 18:42:10

Well this gets more bizarre by each bit of information and sorry a load of cods somewhere along the line
Yep schools out for summer (I m singing it (?)

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jul-19 18:49:09

gilljack68..... hello? Are you there? Can you give us any update on your workplace situation? hmm

M0nica Sun 28-Jul-19 15:44:37

I have my doubts about this thread. Schools have all broken up.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Jul-19 17:20:30

It must be very hard to be a fantasist and have no other way of amusing yourself.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread of course.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Jul-19 17:20:53

No way would a schoolkid make that up.

vena11 Sun 28-Jul-19 18:03:23

I worked with a girl who said she had a miscarriage then her mother fell down stairs and was in hospital on a life support machine then the mother needed a tracheostomy because she nearly died and the girl needed time of work to be at her bedside, I really felt for the poor girl and gave her time off work. the next day I saw the mother in a shop near work, could not believe my eyes, the girl was a total fantasist. They do exist unfortunately.

M0nica Sun 28-Jul-19 20:04:12

Gonegirl you are under estimating the average 16 - 18 year old. They are still children.and in education.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 30-Aug-19 17:21:50

Its a made up story, the facts don't fit.

Elegran Fri 30-Aug-19 17:52:28

Someone in this story about what someone told someone else that a third person had done has a vivid - lurid? - imagination, watches too many trashy films or reads too many cheap paperback novels. I don't know who it is, but I don't think I'll lose any sleep waiting to hear the end.