Gransnet forums

Chat

Knicker gussets. Am I malformed?

(54 Posts)
BluebellGran Mon 12-Aug-19 17:23:18

I reckon knickers must be designed by men. The gusset is always too far back, not under my ‘front bottom’ where it surely should be. Is it just me?

henetha Mon 19-Aug-19 11:17:08

Fascinating topic! Yes, gussets are too far back. I've always thought so. I'll try Sloggis.

eazybee Mon 19-Aug-19 11:45:31

I recall a sketch by Joyce Grenfell, purporting to be a domestic science teacher, yelling: 'scrub the gusset girls, scrub the gusset!!'

Saxifrage Mon 19-Aug-19 11:55:22

Thinking about the geometry of the problem, I guess the fabric has to circumnavigate the stomach between waistband and gusset. This may mean that bikini type pants work better on those with a more ample figure?? I find high legs work best for me but it’s probably worth trying other shapes.

EllanVannin Mon 19-Aug-19 12:07:10

Bathsheba, Asda's knicker packs---4 for £4.50 are okay.
I don't do a big shop every week, only 3 to 4 weeks so not that many packs in a year, especially if you change them a couple of times in the day, particularly if it's hot.
Because I boil them they probably wouldn't last as long as if you half-washed them in a non-boil wash, but mine are lasting alright anyway.

I've always had a thing about being prepared should I have the misfortune of going into hospital too. There are always two or three packs at the ready to throw into a bag.

shysal Mon 19-Aug-19 13:50:36

EllenVannin, I am always prepared too!. I have a complete bag packed for hospital just in case. I have no particular health worries.

Jane10 Mon 19-Aug-19 13:53:35

Well you're all missing the obvious thing to do - out your pants on back to front. Simples! grin

SirChenjin Mon 19-Aug-19 15:09:40

Not enough fabric at the front to cover my bahookie grin

Jane10 Mon 19-Aug-19 16:14:24

SirChengin- 2 pairs one facing each way. Nice and cosy in the winter!

SirChenjin Mon 19-Aug-19 16:15:08

Oooh - I am liking that idea Jane!

Luckygirl Mon 19-Aug-19 16:51:27

Good idea Jane!

But why should this be necessary when female anatomy is well-known and designers should work to that!

Should we start a petition to parliament to insist that women's pants are made to match female anatomy - we only have to get 100,000 signatures to get a debate - and they have nothing else to do at the moment! grin

CaroDane Wed 21-Aug-19 14:00:18

Gosh it's a bit graphic on here isn't it!
I'm learning a lot but it's all years too late.
I am still in search of the perfect knickers but am still vain enough to cut the size labels off the seams of the ones I have in case my other half realises just how fat I actually am. Single beds and a nightdress big enough to hold a garden party under have probably blinded him to my true size.
I live in dread of being carted off to hospital and him turning up with size 14 pants from Tesco.. I might just fit one leg in them!

RosieLeah Wed 21-Aug-19 14:02:13

Is this a new problem or was it the same when all women wore directoire knickers?

Lilypops Wed 18-Sep-19 15:04:30

Ousted to always buy M&S full no vpl knickers but the gusset is shrinking on them and usually ends up sideways , very uncomfortable!! I have discovered Primark full knickers pack of 3for £6 , very pretty colours , and oh so comfy With a decent width gusset , ?

Lilypops Wed 18-Sep-19 15:05:16

I always !!!! Stupid predictive typo

humptydumpty Wed 18-Sep-19 15:10:38

I also assumed Sir was a gent - and that WWMk2 was a woman - apparently not...

SirChenjin Wed 18-Sep-19 15:37:43

Nope, fully fledged woman smile

My GN name is just a play on search engine (or searching gin, as someone else suggested - I think I prefer that one!)

GillT57 Wed 18-Sep-19 16:04:05

Sloggi are comfy with a decent-ish gusset but are quite expensive although long lasting. When DD is home and pops her laundry in with mine I do get a tad depressed as I see her wispy things no bigger than Jane Austen's handkerchief getting blown on the line next to mine which are big enough to carry home a large cottage loaf.

LondonGranny Wed 18-Sep-19 16:10:15

I haven't worn knickers for years because it's so hard to get comfy ones. I wear cotton blokes trunks or boxers. In cool weather I wear leggings. Today I'm in M&S cotton boxers, since you ask grin

kircubbin2000 Wed 18-Sep-19 16:44:32

My new set of m and S pants dont fit although they claim to be the same size.My old ones have gone threadbare round the back but my VERY old ones are still fine. POOR quality.

grumppa Wed 18-Sep-19 17:20:24

Age shall not wither them nor custom stale
Their infinite variety

as Shakespeare would have written had he been contemplating, ahem, country matters and not Cleopatra!s charms.

SirChenjin Wed 18-Sep-19 18:30:01

Gill I know how you feel - I was cleaning out the (very small) tumble dryer filter recently and came across what I thought was the drawstring off a jacket or hoodie. Turns out it was my size 6, 20 year old daughter’s thong. I didn’t realise that they made underwear that small!

Babs0440 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:15:15

Sick of the discomfort of M&S knickers. The gussets are so uncomfortable especially if I wear jeans or tailored trousers ..... the seam at the top of the gussets runs straight across your 'bits' and is painful. Does anyone know where I can buy decent knickers? Glad it's not just me!!

Babs0440 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:18:58

Love this idea. I'll sign it!
x

annodomini Tue 06-Apr-21 20:05:00

My most recent pants were from M&S over 2 years ago and have worn well, though now a bit on the baggy size, maybe because I've lost weight off my rear end. They're a mixture of midi and high leg models.

NanKate Tue 06-Apr-21 21:07:15

I cannot buy anywhere full size knickers but with a high leg and no vlp. Not even Sloggy do these. HELP !