Gransnet forums

Chat

7 year old grandson, recently lost mother, refuses to learn to read and write

(57 Posts)
RoMo Tue 13-Aug-19 07:50:26

From the above you will see what I'm concerned about. My older grandson, 7 next week, lives in South America with his father and 2 year old brother. Their mother died three months ago and now the older one is 'acting out'. He had had previous problems, being bi-lingual, and his mother didn't engage with him or speak Spanish and therefore his language skills are not good. He understands everything and is fluent in English but not Spanish. He's had extra lessons but now refuses to even try to read and write and the school is concerned. Does anyone have any advice? We don't live in South America and visit them twice a year. Thanks in advance.

Missfoodlove Sat 11-Jul-20 12:48:56

There is a wonderful book available via Amazon called “ The invisible string”

It’s for bereaved children, the language is simple and the message is beautiful, it could help with the grieving and also engage your grandson.

Urmstongran Sat 11-Jul-20 13:41:52

Stop now!
You’ve been rumbled & several of us have reported these posts.

Nice try though.

Missfoodlove Sat 11-Jul-20 22:30:39

What have I missed????

Namsnanny Sun 12-Jul-20 16:30:17

me too Missfoodlove!

Madgran77 Sun 12-Jul-20 20:55:33

This post was resurrected from August 2019 by a post from Debbie2221 which has been deleted. I did not see the post before deletion but I imagine that is what is being referred to by Urmstongran re being rumbled!!

welbeck Mon 13-Jul-20 00:13:12

thought it didn't ring true, esp the offhand matter of fact detail of the death of her DD, and that said DD did not speak to or engage with GS.
let alone the overall presentation of the problem, as a behavioural/academic issue.
it's mean and immature to prey upon GNers good natures.