Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Bon voyage Greta Thunberg

(294 Posts)
Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:27:42

You're a brave girl.

Be safe.

Bordersgirl57 Wed 14-Aug-19 06:07:58

Absolutely, I hope the journey isn't too much of an ordeal for her.

I did just wonder though - how is she getting back? If she is terribly seasick and can't face a return trip by boat what would she do I wonder?

Davidhs Wed 14-Aug-19 07:45:46

It’s all a publicity stunt, for her own heath and safety those close to her should “ moderate” her, or she is being exploited

LullyDully Wed 14-Aug-19 07:45:46

She certainly puts her money where her mouth is, standing up for what she believes. Will she be able to sail back home in time for school?

rubysong Wed 14-Aug-19 07:57:25

She is being given a wave off from Plymouth at one pm today.

suziewoozie Wed 14-Aug-19 08:00:22

David why do you think she is being exploited? I think she’s an exceptional young woman. I wouldn’t worry about her schooling Lully

craftyone Wed 14-Aug-19 08:06:45

shameless exploitation of a sincere child. Adults using her to front their own agenda

Anniebach Wed 14-Aug-19 08:32:24

It was reported yesterday that her return journey has not yet
been arranged

M0nica Wed 14-Aug-19 08:32:57

How much energy is embedded in this high tech, carbon fibre boat? Surely she should be making the crossing in a hand crafted wooden boat, with hand-woven linen sails.

Frankly I think it makes her look ridiculous. Is the idea that we should return to the days of the mid 19th century when the Atlantic crossing took up to a month? Should all freight and travel return to the days of sail?

Yes, travel by train rather than plane, both use energy - but if she cannot bring herself to cross the Atlantic by air, then get a boat, freight or cruiser that will take her across.

This current plan is just gesture politics and virtue signalling of the worst kind.

Persistentdonor Wed 14-Aug-19 08:37:49

Why is she going there?

And how did she get from Scandinavia to Plymouth?

Anniebach Wed 14-Aug-19 08:41:51

Suppose in the U.K. we can transport goods by canals

Beckett Wed 14-Aug-19 08:48:44

I have no doubt she is sincere in her beliefs, however, I can't help feeling a little uncomfortable about the possibility she is being used by older people

I also don't see the point of her crossing the Atlantic in a boat "without toilets, kitchen or privacy"

dragonfly46 Wed 14-Aug-19 08:52:10

Well presumably she is going to throw her natural waste in the sea!

gillybob Wed 14-Aug-19 08:52:41

I really can’t see the point of the whole thing . What is it supposed to achieve and who is really behind it?

As others have asked . How did she get to Plymouth? And how will she be travelling back ? hmm

M0nica Wed 14-Aug-19 09:14:33

Why does she need to travel at all? If she want's to address Congress, or the United Nations, why can't she do it in a studio or venue nearer home and have it screened at the conference, or wherever?

I suspect that she is going to be very, very, seasick, and soon regret her decision. Ocean sailing, no matter how up to date the technology, is not a pursuit for wimps and, even on the calmest days, the swell can be unsettling in a small sea going craft, when you have the kind of wind they want, or even gales - excuse me, the thought of it has me running for a sick bag.

sodapop Wed 14-Aug-19 09:14:43

I would be concerned as a parent about her safety as an inexperienced sailor in such a situation. If special measures have been laid on it does rather defeat the object.

Luckygirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:18:36

I must agree that I had wondered what her parents' thoughts on all this were. It is not something I would want my DDs to be doing, however good her cause or laudable her aims.

But, she has succeed in putting climate change higher up the agenda and that has to be good. I do not think we should nitpick about how she got to Plymouth; the point is that this is a gesture to highlight the serious problems that exist.

I wish her a safe voyage.

Urmstongran Wed 14-Aug-19 09:18:42

Virtue signalling of the highest order by a girl who is on the spectrum and has tunnel vision regarding her latest obsession.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Aug-19 09:35:59

I am sorry this is a publicity stunt!!! Obviously working as we are all talking about it!!

Greta could have addressed the conferences via video calling.

If everyone does a little it will help our planet just as much, propbably more so than several "celebrities" telling us how we should live.

At 16 I question the depth of her knowledge on the science behind "climate change" and the economics of emerging countries who's carbon footprint is more than the rest of the Western World.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:45:48

It isn't a publicity stunt, although it is serving as one. (And why not? It's a great cause)

She wants to go the Climate Change conferences being held in the US but couldn't see how to get there without going by plane or a cruise ship. The boat was offered to her and she, I think bravely, took up the offer.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:48:06

Her being there will give her AND HER CAUSE much more exposure than a video link would.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:48:28

And, let's face it, America needs it.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:49:46

Luckygirl her father is going with her on the boat.

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 09:59:47

On a small boat like that I would think it will be all hands on deck, no space for passengers who have no clue about sailing and the sea, so I hope they both know what they're doing.

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 10:02:57

I wonder how everyone else will be travelling to the conference?
Will she be chastising them for their hypocrisy? I can't wait to hear that, it should be very interesting.

Minniemoo Wed 14-Aug-19 10:16:53

I assume they have a back up boat/ship? It seems rather an arduous journey for them. Fine, if you're a hardened sailor and you know what you're doing.

Just a bit unsure about all this. It's great to be raising awareness but according to Greta's Mum, the girl can see CO2 with her naked eye.

Which she can't.

I've travelled the Atlantic in a massive ship. It got a bit hairy a couple of times. Let's hope the weather's kind. But it can be very scary out there.

maddyone Wed 14-Aug-19 10:29:06

I totally agree with David, Monica, GrannyGravy, Urmstongran, and Craftyone. Every time she’s yet again paraded in front of the media my hackles rise. If she’s on the spectrum as has been suggested then I can see why she is so obsessed. She could easily have addressed the conference by video link rather than virtue signalling with this ridiculous stunt.

Jane10 Wed 14-Aug-19 10:30:59

I agree with maddyone et al. I feel most uncomfortable about it all.

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 10:33:01

Has this yacht done the trip before?
I'm glad her father is going with her at least, although I don't agree with this and think it is a form of virtue signalling.

What was the carbon footprint incurred in the manufacture of this yacht? Do we know? Does Greta know?

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 10:40:45

Apparently, scientists funded by Bill Gates are researching how to seed the atmosphere to bring about global cooling through geoengineering.

We only need another natural disaster such as a super volcano blowing and, coupled with this meddling, all life on earth could become extinct.

Mapleleaf Wed 14-Aug-19 10:40:59

I, too, feel there's an awful lot of manipulation of a vulnerable young woman. What are her parents thinking, allowing such a dangerous trip?
As others say, how will the return trip be made, and how did she get from Sweden to the UK?
Climate change is serious, and a huge concern, but I'm not sure that gimmicks such as this will really achieve very much, other than possibly endanger this young girls life and those who may end up having to try and rescue her.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 10:47:02

Yeah, I'm sure she knows exactly how the boat was built. But it was already built. She didn't have it made specially. And her trip in it will be close to carbon neutral.

What do you expect of this kid? Really?? Should she lash a few bits of wood together, make a raft and hope for good weather? hmm

eazybee Wed 14-Aug-19 10:48:11

She has been likened to Joan of Arc, and I think there are some similarities, in that her beliefs are being exploited by those older and more cynical for their own advantage, who will abandon her when she no longer serves their purpose.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 10:48:25

Perhaps they need to get some Gransnetters onto the committee who decides who get a Nobel Prize. Ah, no! I forgot something.....

Margs Wed 14-Aug-19 10:50:30

She's only 16 - maybe in ten years time she may have had quite a few real-life experiences that will cause her to look back and think: "was I THAT naive back then?"

She means well but IMHO she's being exploited as some environmental Joan of Arc character.

crystaltipps Wed 14-Aug-19 10:51:19

She has made it clear she has her own views and is not being “used”, though why would anyone use her to promote , what is , an important message when there are so many cynics out there who will rubbish anyone who points out we are facing an environmental crisis? Listen to the message, don’t shoot the messenger.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 10:51:28

How real do you want her life experiences to get?! grin

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 10:52:08

Ae they sailing from The Mayflower Steps?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Aug-19 10:55:09

Gonegirl “what do you expect of this kid”..... I am worried that she is being exploited, if she is on the autism spectrum as has been speculated, it is easy for these young people to get fixated on a single subject, and loose “objectivity” (I have a GC on the spectrum)

She appears to be obsessed on the point of terrified about the climate change situation.

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 10:58:44

'A Swedish documentary maker will be on board'

Margs Wed 14-Aug-19 10:59:41

And I wonder just how many of the kiddies who bunked off school to protest about climate change during term time have blithely gone abroad to far-flung climes on......an airplane?

kazziecookie Wed 14-Aug-19 11:01:25

I live in Plymouth so I might go wave her off, but it is absolutely chucking it down at the minute.
Typical it is the National Fireworks Competition this evening and it nearly always rains when that is on.

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 11:07:15

Interesting information about the boat:

here

Good publicity all round but where does that leave the rest of us with travel plans? Do we cancel, go and feel guilty or charter this yacht?

Happiyogi Wed 14-Aug-19 11:13:23

I read some weeks ago that her father is travelling with her and that they will be spending some months in the USA.

I honestly can't understand why people are so determined to "shoot the messenger", as if the planet's crisis was of her making. We should instead be turning our fire on those who have reduced us to this truly perilous state via their immense greed and utter disregard for the effects of their actions. Read about indigenous people's current ghastly plight and try and imagine how you will feel and cope when their suffering, inevitably, becomes yours and your family's.

"I'm all right Jack" is not a plan.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 11:14:26

No way is she on the autistic spectrum! She makes good eye contact with everyone she meets, and is an excellent communicator! hmm

Minniemoo Wed 14-Aug-19 11:17:27

She has Asperger's, GG. I believe that's on the autistic spectrum. But I'm no expert.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 11:17:54

Like I say Callistemon, the boat's already in existence. It's not being made specially for her. She is making good use of it.

Perhaps we just need, as ordinary people, to ration our flying where we can. But it's the business people and the private jetters that are really the target.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 11:18:11

No way minimoo

Minniemoo Wed 14-Aug-19 11:19:10

There's an interview with her saying she has it. Unless I dreamt it. Which isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 11:20:26

Ok, she has. But she's using it well. And it must be very mild.

Minniemoo Wed 14-Aug-19 11:20:34

It wasn't a dream!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ7aSc-5Yo0

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 11:22:26

See my link in previous post. You are right.

SirChenjin Wed 14-Aug-19 11:22:45

I'm afraid you're wrong Gone - she ha autism and talks openly about it. People with autism can make eye contact, you know, and they can communicate well. It's not a condition where everyone has identical symptoms.

I agree with everyone who has voiced reservations. It seems like a cynical marketing ploy by older adults who have jumped on this particular wagon in order to make money and raise their own profile. There are plenty of other ways to speak at a conference without pulling a stunt like this one.

SirChenjin Wed 14-Aug-19 11:23:27

Apologies - cross posts re austism

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 11:23:48

Have you actually read my previous post? shock (and clicked on the link?)

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 11:24:03

Humph!

Tricia55 Wed 14-Aug-19 11:24:59

Sorry but can I show my ignorance, who is Greta Thunberg?
I've never heard of her.
Thank you,
Triciax

Barmeyoldbat Wed 14-Aug-19 11:27:25

Can't see the point myself.

Minniemoo Wed 14-Aug-19 11:27:44

Ha! It can be so frustrating when previous posts get missed, Easily done though.

It's especially stressful in the limerick threads. I can tell you, I've broken out in a cold sweat before now, knowing I've messed up on that.

As for Greta she's quite famous now , Tricia. Lots about her. She's a climate change activist and is about to sail across the Atlantic on a tea tray.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 11:29:03

Don't bother about it Tricia55. Go back to sleep.

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 11:29:04

She has Asperger's, diagnosed OCD and was an elective mute when younger.
She has said this has advantages as she sees things in black and white and that perhaps those on the autistic spectrum like her are the normal ones.

Tricia55 Wed 14-Aug-19 11:29:39

Just watched video link.
Triciax

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 11:30:07

Just google, Tricia

You can't miss her

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 11:30:22

Alright minimoo. Stop over-egging the flippin' cake. hmm grin

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 11:31:59

I don't think anyone sees blue links when they are short.

What you reckon Callistemon?

sarahellenwhitney Wed 14-Aug-19 11:33:41

dragonfly 46.
Natural waste ?Hell hath no fury like an Atlantic storm so there's sure to be plenty of that.

SirChenjin Wed 14-Aug-19 11:38:38

Is HRH Harry Wokeness going to speak sans socks at this conference too?

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 11:40:23

Gonegirl I thought I was being very clever at last!
I reckon you could be right though

news.sky.com/story/greta-thunberg-is-her-transatlantic-trip-really-that-green-11784480

#notsuchanumptyafterall

maddyone Wed 14-Aug-19 12:08:13

I’m not particularly worried about whether her individual boat is green or not, because there are plenty of other boats which are not green, and perhaps great minds could be put to use to remedy that problem.
However, with regard to this young girl, who is being manipulated in my opinion, one wonders why she’s not due to be back in school/college in September, rather than touring America, presumably preaching about climate change. As a parent, I would not have allowed my teenagers to miss out on their education. Only with education can we hope for the changes which are necessary. Perhaps we should be putting more resources into science education instead of closing down science courses in some universities as is happening now. Greta should be heading home to continue her education in my opinion. She certainly has the drive to become a great scientist, rather than virtue signalling to the rest of the world, half of whom live in poverty and have no interest or influence with climate change. Greta could do so much more with her life really.

Rachand Wed 14-Aug-19 12:13:55

I think she is being exploited by others. However, air travel is here to stay. Perhaps when she’s puking over the side she will wish she was flying?

Candelle Wed 14-Aug-19 12:15:00

I watched a clip regarding Greta and her trip. The girl looked about twelve! Whilst I respect her courage and sentiments I also think that someone could be pulling her strings, whether family or activists.

I just hope that she fully understands the rigours of her journey: she said 'I may feel a bit sea-sick'. Speaking as one who is very sea-sick, it is extremely debilitating and the thought of carrying on for a fortnight without remission is too distressing to contemplate.

Perhaps there could be a transfer to a different type of craft if she should be really ill... who knows.

I also have the query... will she undertake the return journey by the same method? If so, she really is brave and earns more of my respect.

Pippa22 Wed 14-Aug-19 12:15:57

What a contrast in what this young girl is doing and our helicopter hopping about by our royal family whose carbon footprint must be enormous.

SirChenjin Wed 14-Aug-19 12:17:32

Wouldn't it have made more sense for her to show ordinary folks the alternatives to air travel that is within their means as opposed to travelling in a multi million pound boat with an international yachtsman and a member of the Monaco RF?

Happiyogi Wed 14-Aug-19 12:19:55

Maddyone, that is very condescending of you. Would you wish her to become a 'great scientist' like the ones who have stood by as we have descended into this crisis?

She has already done an astounding amount in her young life. Read her book of speeches (published by Penguin). I can't think of another sixteen year old who has achieved so much. I think we should wish her every success since our futures literally depend on radical change being made to the status quo.

Theoddbird Wed 14-Aug-19 12:23:46

She is an amazing young woman. We need more like her. She is gathering a following of young people. They all realize that time is running out to save this planet. How dare anyone run her down....

maddyone Wed 14-Aug-19 12:28:43

Yes to SirChenin and Pippa22. Absolutely.

The carbon footprint of our royal family is a complete disgrace. Perhaps Greta could come and lecture them. Yesterday Prince Andrew took a private flight back from Balmoral to London. Last week Prince Harry took a private flight to Italy (I think it was Italy) and then a private helicopter to the location of the conference, attended by many celebrities who no doubt took private flights to draw our attention to how huge our carbon footprints are, but not apparently, it would seem, not their carbon footprints! They obviously have no need to change their behaviour, whilst lecturing all those who took an overfilled Ryanair/EasyJet flight for their only holiday of the year! It makes me sick! And don’t even get started on Meghan, who took a private flight all the way back from New York after her vulgar baby shower.
Yes, there are more worthwhile targets for Greta to get to grips with.

SirChenjin Wed 14-Aug-19 12:29:52

How dare...?

Because we are entitled to our opinions? She may be gathering a following, but unless she can demonstrate something more meaningful that a journey that's beyond the reach of 99.99% of the population she risks becoming a media play thing who doesn't affect real change.

sandelf Wed 14-Aug-19 12:33:08

I just have a very uneasy feeling about her.

absthame Wed 14-Aug-19 12:45:29

If my generation and that of my children only screw the world for our own advantage; our grand children need to undo the harm that we did and do. Who better to lead the campaign than someone on the spectrum who is fixated on finding solutions. God bless her.

Happiyogi Wed 14-Aug-19 12:46:10

SirChenjin, perhaps the greater point is that there ARE no alternatives. Which, on a global scale, has contributed to the polluted mess which will not sustain life indefinitely.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 12:46:39

hear hear

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 12:47:42

that was to absthame*. Particularly last sentence of her post.

Happiyogi Wed 14-Aug-19 12:52:41

sandelf, many people have an uneasy feeling about the very future of humanity.

Yes, she seems a little different to the sixteen year olds of our acquaintance. Most of the inventions and changes in the world have been made by those who see things differently. A cookie-cutter brain can only repeat, not innovate. And we desperately require innovation.

Stansgran Wed 14-Aug-19 12:54:30

Yes to Sandelf. She reminds me of that maths child genius many years ago. As my mum used to say it will end in tears. And out of interest has anyone else seen the WEF tweet about polluted rivers. We need to get the Chinese on board no pun intended before anyone addresses the UN.

Happiyogi Wed 14-Aug-19 12:58:48

Stansgran, there is a sickening abundance of information about the UK's polluted rivers.

SirChenjin Wed 14-Aug-19 12:59:36

There are alternatives Happi - on this occasion she could have presented via video link.

It's great that young people are becoming more aware of environmental issues (although they don't seem quite so keen to curtail their globe trotting unfortunately) but this feels very much like a publicity stunt.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 12:59:37

SirChenjin Wouldn't it have made more sense for her to show ordinary folks the alternatives to air travel that is within their means

What are you actually thinking of? confused Are we back to the rowing boat? Kyak?

Shall we keep it real?

SirChenjin Wed 14-Aug-19 13:00:28

See my previous post Gone. That real enough for you?

GrumpyGran8 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:00:56

How did she get to Plymouth?
By train. Europe has a few trains and, handily, there's a train tunnel under the Channel.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 13:01:37

A video link would not have given her cause so much coverage. She will be interviewed on many tv channels, make public appearances as with XR, as well as addressing the conferences.

America needs this.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 13:03:29

How could she stir up the youth of American by a video link?

SirChenjin Wed 14-Aug-19 13:04:18

Of course it would have - it's Greta. With the right marketing and publicity it would have shown that she's serious about making real change available to everyone.

maddyone Wed 14-Aug-19 13:10:36

Yes Happiyogi, I would wish for her to become a scientist. She obviously has the interest. We need many, many products to be designed or modified so that they will be cleaner to use. Ideally we would be able to cut the world’s population, but that seems unlikely to be honest. We must put our faith into innovative scientific design, and that requires highly educated scientists. We have already seen some small changes, but we need many more. Wringing my hands and eulogising Greta won’t make one jot of difference.

Nanny41 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:11:44

Yes she is being exploited, and its her Father behind this I believe reading the Swedish papers ( I live in Sweden) why they make her look like a twelve year old with plaits I dont know,maybe to get more sympathy for her cause.She is sixteen for goodness sake she should act like one, she has a disability, maybe thats why they tone down her age, who knows she has 50/50 popularity here.She may have taken a car or train to Calais or somewhere then a car or train to Plymouth,who knows.I say good luck to her on that boat trip.

maddyone Wed 14-Aug-19 13:11:52

Sirchenin, yes, you are quite right. We dare because we are allowed our own opinions.

maddyone Wed 14-Aug-19 13:22:16

Happiyogi, I have no wish to read her book whatsoever, I prefer to read the words of people who have experienced a bit more in life than she has. Incidentally, one such person, only a young woman herself, and in my opinion, a much more impressive young woman, is Malala Yousafzai.

Grammaretto Wed 14-Aug-19 13:29:59

This thread has been busy all morning!! Surely this tells us something.
We are ALL talking about it and her.
Fabulous.
Someone at my group today spoke just the same as some have on here.

Of course we can't change overnight but we are nearly all thinking and considering how we can help to slow the climate catastrophe for the future of our children and the planet.

We are getting used to not getting plastic bags. We are considering electric cars. Some of us don't fly anymore.
Baby steps but good on yer Gretta!!

Happiyogi Wed 14-Aug-19 13:37:15

Maddyone, why are you unwilling to learn by reading? Yes, the subject matter is not cosy or comfortable, but it is vital.

If she were to become the 'great scientist' you'd like her to be, that could take 15 years. During which, in the real world...

And I don't believe we can have too many gifted and public spirited young people. Let's not play them off against one another.

maryhoffman37 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:41:53

Can you imagine the cries of "hypocrite!" from those who don't like her message if she had flown to the States? All power to her I say. At least she is getting the message out there.

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 13:59:58

Grammaretto
None of the small steps you quote are due to any influence from Greta Thunberg, unless perhaps your personal decision not to fly is one.

People have been concerned long before she arrived on the scene to tell us all what we should be doing.
There are scientists working quietly to try to improve our prospects, innovations which will change the way we have lived. They have been doing this for years. Now they have to convince governments and big business.

Yes, we need scientists, engineers and people with the education and knowledge to make the changes which people will willingly embrace.

Greta sees the problems and has the questions but we need those with vision to seek the answers.