Bon voyage Greta Thunberg

(294 Posts)
Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:27:42

You're a brave girl.

Be safe.

Bordersgirl57 Wed 14-Aug-19 06:07:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Davidhs Wed 14-Aug-19 07:45:46

It’s all a publicity stunt, for her own heath and safety those close to her should “ moderate” her, or she is being exploited

LullyDully Wed 14-Aug-19 07:45:46

She certainly puts her money where her mouth is, standing up for what she believes. Will she be able to sail back home in time for school?

rubysong Wed 14-Aug-19 07:57:25

She is being given a wave off from Plymouth at one pm today.

suziewoozie Wed 14-Aug-19 08:00:22

David why do you think she is being exploited? I think she’s an exceptional young woman. I wouldn’t worry about her schooling Lully

craftyone Wed 14-Aug-19 08:06:45

shameless exploitation of a sincere child. Adults using her to front their own agenda

Anniebach Wed 14-Aug-19 08:32:24

It was reported yesterday that her return journey has not yet
been arranged

M0nica Wed 14-Aug-19 08:32:57

How much energy is embedded in this high tech, carbon fibre boat? Surely she should be making the crossing in a hand crafted wooden boat, with hand-woven linen sails.

Frankly I think it makes her look ridiculous. Is the idea that we should return to the days of the mid 19th century when the Atlantic crossing took up to a month? Should all freight and travel return to the days of sail?

Yes, travel by train rather than plane, both use energy - but if she cannot bring herself to cross the Atlantic by air, then get a boat, freight or cruiser that will take her across.

This current plan is just gesture politics and virtue signalling of the worst kind.

Persistentdonor Wed 14-Aug-19 08:37:49

Why is she going there?

And how did she get from Scandinavia to Plymouth?

Anniebach Wed 14-Aug-19 08:41:51

Suppose in the U.K. we can transport goods by canals

Beckett Wed 14-Aug-19 08:48:44

I have no doubt she is sincere in her beliefs, however, I can't help feeling a little uncomfortable about the possibility she is being used by older people

I also don't see the point of her crossing the Atlantic in a boat "without toilets, kitchen or privacy"

dragonfly46 Wed 14-Aug-19 08:52:10

Well presumably she is going to throw her natural waste in the sea!

gillybob Wed 14-Aug-19 08:52:41

I really can’t see the point of the whole thing . What is it supposed to achieve and who is really behind it?

As others have asked . How did she get to Plymouth? And how will she be travelling back ? hmm

M0nica Wed 14-Aug-19 09:14:33

Why does she need to travel at all? If she want's to address Congress, or the United Nations, why can't she do it in a studio or venue nearer home and have it screened at the conference, or wherever?

I suspect that she is going to be very, very, seasick, and soon regret her decision. Ocean sailing, no matter how up to date the technology, is not a pursuit for wimps and, even on the calmest days, the swell can be unsettling in a small sea going craft, when you have the kind of wind they want, or even gales - excuse me, the thought of it has me running for a sick bag.

sodapop Wed 14-Aug-19 09:14:43

I would be concerned as a parent about her safety as an inexperienced sailor in such a situation. If special measures have been laid on it does rather defeat the object.

Luckygirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:18:36

I must agree that I had wondered what her parents' thoughts on all this were. It is not something I would want my DDs to be doing, however good her cause or laudable her aims.

But, she has succeed in putting climate change higher up the agenda and that has to be good. I do not think we should nitpick about how she got to Plymouth; the point is that this is a gesture to highlight the serious problems that exist.

I wish her a safe voyage.

Urmstongran Wed 14-Aug-19 09:18:42

Virtue signalling of the highest order by a girl who is on the spectrum and has tunnel vision regarding her latest obsession.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Aug-19 09:35:59

I am sorry this is a publicity stunt!!! Obviously working as we are all talking about it!!

Greta could have addressed the conferences via video calling.

If everyone does a little it will help our planet just as much, propbably more so than several "celebrities" telling us how we should live.

At 16 I question the depth of her knowledge on the science behind "climate change" and the economics of emerging countries who's carbon footprint is more than the rest of the Western World.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:45:48

It isn't a publicity stunt, although it is serving as one. (And why not? It's a great cause)

She wants to go the Climate Change conferences being held in the US but couldn't see how to get there without going by plane or a cruise ship. The boat was offered to her and she, I think bravely, took up the offer.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:48:06

Her being there will give her AND HER CAUSE much more exposure than a video link would.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:48:28

And, let's face it, America needs it.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 09:49:46

Luckygirl her father is going with her on the boat.

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 09:59:47

On a small boat like that I would think it will be all hands on deck, no space for passengers who have no clue about sailing and the sea, so I hope they both know what they're doing.

Callistemon Wed 14-Aug-19 10:02:57

I wonder how everyone else will be travelling to the conference?
Will she be chastising them for their hypocrisy? I can't wait to hear that, it should be very interesting.