Gransnet forums

Chat

Bon voyage Greta Thunberg

(295 Posts)
Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 22:27:42

You're a brave girl.

Be safe.

Minniemoo Wed 28-Aug-19 23:01:13

I've been watching her journey on FB. Amazing feat. Very brave.

Farmor15 Wed 28-Aug-19 22:57:04

I’ve been following the trip with interest and delighted to see that the sailing went well. There was a tracker you could use to follow progress so this morning I knew they had nearly arrived.

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 22:54:09

Did you think that up all on your own? Bless.

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 22:53:16

#woodwork

Lucylastic Wed 28-Aug-19 22:48:59

Very strange and tiresome wee person.
When she sailed out of Plymouth and over the horizon I found myself wishing that the Earth was indeed flat.

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 22:46:50

Always one lurking in readiness. Yes

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 22:46:20

Unbelievable. hmm

quizqueen Wed 28-Aug-19 22:42:45

I read that two pilots are flying out to steer Greta's boat back. Well done, Greta, for causing more of a carbon foot print than if you had flown yourself!!

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 22:28:50

smile

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 22:28:24

Good she's arrived safely. [smile

Callistemon Sat 17-Aug-19 09:18:50

I have three gum trees growing in pots but where to plant them without upsetting the neighbours?

suziewoozie Sat 17-Aug-19 00:23:16

Apologies for not making it clear that I was referring to genuine activists who are committed to the cause and trying their best. In no way whatsoever are H and M genuine activists nor ET - please feel free to be as unkind as you want about them?

janipat Sat 17-Aug-19 00:13:00

I've just calculated my once a year flight to Canada to see my grandchildren against just one of ET's flights. I came out at 1.28 tons (flying Premium Economy) against 7.32 tons just for 1 first class flight by her. Now tell me who is destroying our planet.......

Callistemon Fri 16-Aug-19 23:53:29

I would be kind about Greta, she is young and fervent, but please don't expect me to feel the same about ET and the Duke and Duchess, or indeed the luvvies having a luvverly time at the Google 'conference'

janipat Fri 16-Aug-19 23:49:43

Thanks Callistemon that one works. I do think that we should be paying far more attention to helping communities so they have no need to cut down rain forests and the like. If we want the forests to remain, then we have to give financial support to enable the people affected to have decent standards of living through alternative ventures.

Yes suziewoozie it is easy to criticise. However I think if you lecture other people on reducing their carbon footprint then it ill behoves you to ignore your own contribution. I do think the likes of Emma Thompson, and ( to my regret) Prince Harry and Meghan, invite scorn when they don't seem to realise they can be viewed as hypocrites.

suziewoozie Fri 16-Aug-19 23:30:04

The comforting thing about forms of political activism that challenge our way of life, is that their proponents will always fail to be perfect to a greater or lesser extent. I think climate change activists have it particularly tough. So no one should even report on anything they do if it involves emitting carbon in order so to do? I try to focus on what they are trying to do, appreciating that they’ll mostly fail, but think that at least trying is more than most people do. It’s so easy to criticise isn’t it - we’re all guilty of it - I know I am but why not try to be a bit kinder and realistic?

Callistemon Fri 16-Aug-19 23:28:01

maybe not
We need to plant those plus more.
And help communities so that they do not cut down vast swathes of ancient forests.

Callistemon Fri 16-Aug-19 23:25:55

I'll try again, it's a blog I found when trying to find out how many trees to plant to offset a flight.
www.packthesuitcases.com/reduce-your-carbon-footprint-planting-trees/

janipat Fri 16-Aug-19 23:14:28

Link doesn't work for me???

Callistemon Fri 16-Aug-19 23:13:58

Yes, I do hope she will be all right long-term.

janipat Fri 16-Aug-19 23:13:07

Exactly Callistemon, it reeks of Emma Thompson and her justification that she plants lots of trees. Every passenger on a plane gets offered to offset their carbon emission by paying for trees to be planted. Just make it compulsory and we're sorted. Or maybe not.

Minniemoo Fri 16-Aug-19 23:12:26

The ironic thing about all this is the fact that the carbon emissions will be far greater that had she just jumped on a plane. Dozens of worldwide photographers congregated to see her off. How did they get there? The same when she lands.

She has her message but the real problems such as billions of cows, agriculture, cars and of course China who don't give 2 hoots. It's just a circus really. With a good message but not earth saving whatsoever.

I feel for Greta. She's very young. She's had severe emotional issues when growing up. She's fragile. And having all these adults adulating her is not ideal.

Callistemon Fri 16-Aug-19 23:12:03

here is how to salve your conscience.

Or just stay at home.

Callistemon Fri 16-Aug-19 23:03:12

So that's OK then!

I don't think there is anyone on this thread arguing about the fact that we need all the brilliant minds we have to find solutions to the problems and we can all claim to be offsetting our carbon emissions whilst also claiming that our journeys are essential.

I hope to see a new forest surrounding Frogmore being ceremoniously planted very soon, too. PH and MM only have to shovel in a small spadeful of loose earth with a new pristine spade, the estate workers will do all the hard work.
Easy peasy.

suziewoozie Fri 16-Aug-19 22:47:54

A bit of context

abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/sailing-team-fly-crew-us-bring-thunberg-boat-65021301