Gransnet forums

Chat

The F Word

(100 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 20-Aug-19 08:41:24

What do other Gransnetters think? I am fed up of watching a film or something on the TV and we have the F word in so much these days it really gets on my nerves. Am I being a grumpy old woman here? I was always taught it was lack of command of the English language to resort to vile swearing and I really do object. Yes, there is the off button which we do use and I have seen letters complaining to the BBC or whatever and they say free country just turn it off if it offends you. But horrible swearing well it just seems so pointless and mindless. Turned one programme off recently, content was good but the outdoor presenter needed his mouth washing out with washing up liquid. But of course this is just my opinion at the end of the day. What do other people think?

elbev60 Tue 20-Aug-19 20:17:21

I use sugar Horlicks a lot. I had 3 children of my own and was was a child minder so was always conscious of little ears! Even now I’m in work, I use it and lots of people laugh but nobody can be offended!

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 20-Aug-19 20:24:54

carol57

I said the same about Billy - comment a few before yours.

Treebee Tue 20-Aug-19 20:31:21

I hate hearing the word. It’s quite unnecessary and over used. DH watches programmes where it’s every other word and I have to leave the room.
Had an interesting discussion with both GC this lunchtime on what constitutes a swear word. I think they wanted to trick me into swearing but they didn’t succeed.

minxie Tue 20-Aug-19 20:42:34

Quote from Billy Connelly
‘ it’s said that swearing is used by people with a limited vocabulary. I know thousands of words but I like ‘f*%# ‘
That did make me laugh. But I know what you mean

Luckygirl Tue 20-Aug-19 21:07:10

I love Billy Connelly!

Glammy57 Tue 20-Aug-19 21:08:08

Oh dear! ?

CanadianGran Tue 20-Aug-19 21:34:15

I don't mind a well placed swear word once in a while, but i fear this is becoming so commonplace in language these days that people don't even notice they are swearing.

I hear it in the office all the time now, which drives me mad.

Anja Tue 20-Aug-19 21:40:32

For heavens sake it’s only a word. Stop getting your knickers in a twist.

jura2 Tue 20-Aug-19 21:43:11

just depends on and how. Billy Conolly can say it 3 times in one sentence, and it does not bother me. Just depends...

GeorgyGirl Tue 20-Aug-19 21:59:34

I agree with you Mrsgreenfingers, it is unnecessary and again, another sad sign of the times and how standards have dropped. I also find it offensive and yes it is lack of knowledge of language. Old dramas and movies never needed bad language, scripts and plots were good. I can never understand why swearing gets applause on chat shows etc. I too turn off programmes when they start swearing incessantly, I don't want to hear it, there is no decorum any more and it is a shame that youngsters of today think swearing is the norm.

hicaz46 Tue 20-Aug-19 22:23:14

The people who are renting the house next door to us use the f word frequently in everyday conversation. Although I don’t like hearing it I tolerate it most of the time. However my 12 year old gd came for a week and when in our garden their voices in their garden could be clearly heard using f.....g every other word. I asked them politely to curb their language as I had a child staying to which they replied that they too had children, to which I retorted ‘ then you certainly shouldn’t be using that language’.(They have a 2 year old and a 6 year old was visiting). I was then told to ‘p... off’ and they carried on. Their language and conversations carried out in very loud voices put us off from sitting and relaxing in our garden. Thank goodness their is a 6 foot wall between us and them.

Grannyrebel Tue 20-Aug-19 22:25:07

I went to see A Star is Born a while ago and it was ruined for me by the use of the f word in virtually every sentence. Totally unnecessary but I do believe the Americans are worse than us.

Smurf44 Tue 20-Aug-19 22:28:45

I hate the F and C words, especially on TV, and have never ever used them, so it really upsets me that my DD (mid 30s) uses the F word in virtually every sentence. Even worse, my 15 yr old GD now does the same as her mother, despite always being praised for her outstanding knowledge of language ever since she started school. My son (almost 40) also uses the F word to some extent and neither he nor his wife thinks it’s bad to use such language in front of my adorable 5 year old GS, (their son). Presumably he will grow up to be a foul-mouthed teenager too. I despair. No-one seems to have any moral standards any more.

Avor2 Tue 20-Aug-19 22:41:27

Hate it. we know what it means, but when you hear it constantly, together with motherf...... and similar, it gets to the point whenever I watch a film that is all I hear. Basically if you can't think of the appropriate word - don't say anything at all. So sad to hear little ones f ing and blinding when they really only hear it from parents or TV and don't know what it means.

birchermuesli Tue 20-Aug-19 22:51:47

Agree MamaCaz that the 'poor vocabulary' argument was and is a rather feeble fabrication. I was brought up not to swear and now I find it difficult to do. I don't like to hear it either. But still I think there are some very articulate swearers!

LullyDully Wed 21-Aug-19 07:51:25

I can never understand why it as to be translated from the Danish/ Swedish/ French when watching a foreign drama with subtitles. A pet annoyance of mine.

posset Wed 21-Aug-19 08:17:36

I just find it irritating and pointless, although I am prone to an occasional expletive when really riled! What I really can't stand is the way (mostly) younger people punctuate their speech with the word "like" - where did that come from?

Mal44 Wed 21-Aug-19 08:41:03

The recent Cathy Burke documentaries on women are completely spoilt for me by her obscene language.Why does she constantly need to use it?

Anne107 Wed 21-Aug-19 09:14:28

I particularly hate it with a passion if I hear a child say the F word - sounds terrible!!! But like you say you hear this F word daily - media / people in general - I tend to say it when something really angers me - I think worse than the F word is the C word - I cannot say it - it makes me cringe!!! shock

catladyuk Wed 21-Aug-19 09:48:58

Totally agree Anne107, but the F word used for its original old English meaning is almost acceptable. When I was young (where did those years go?) that was the only way I ever heard it used, never as an expletive, and certainly not in common everyday parlance as it is nowadays.
As for the C word, It was never used when I was growing up, and yes, it makes me cringe too!

sunseeker Wed 21-Aug-19 10:01:29

I don't swear often but admit I do sometimes, usually when I am alone and get frustrated with something.

I think it is probably our upbringing, men didn't swear in front of women and certainly not children, so it was unusual to hear it. Now it is heard everywhere so children think it is normal and acceptable.

Reader56 Thu 22-Aug-19 17:48:57

The f word is bad enough but the c word is absolutely vile, and unfortunately seems to be in common usage on Mumsnet (and no doubt other social media sites) which I visit from time to time. The casual way it’s used for sometimes the most minor situation is just beyond me. It is true though that the more frequently you hear/read it, the less shocking it will become....just awful ?

Missiseff Thu 22-Aug-19 22:01:53

I use it a lot. It's very expressive. Not in general conversation, just when frustrated or angry. Which is a lot, lol

Minniemoo Thu 22-Aug-19 22:08:39

A well placed profanity can work wonders. I hate it when it's every other word by a group as lads as they wait for the bus or whatever. The incorrect saying, 'indicates lack of command of the English language' is clearly untrue.

One only has to look any historians and authors who often pop in a curse word now and then

www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists