Gransnet forums

Chat

The C Word

(69 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 20-Aug-19 10:52:56

Following on from the F word thread, I thought I'd initiate a discussion about the C word.

People hate it and think it's beyond the pale and get all up in arms about it.

My perspective is that I REFUSE to believe the rudest word in the English language describes my lady garden. As a feminist, that perspective is an anathema to me. There are many words that describe worse things. Rape. Murder. Bestiality. Paedophile.

Not to mention, it's a very old word. Chaucer used it.

mamaa Wed 21-Aug-19 10:26:42

should be TerriBull in bold but I mispelt it!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Aug-19 10:29:12

Teetime I saw the Vagina Monologues several years ago.....I found myself laughing out loud one minute, and sobbing the next!

maryhoffman37 Wed 21-Aug-19 10:42:43

For those who misunderstood, who would use the word Christmas to allude to their "Lady garden"? But to get back to the topic, I agree that it shouldn't be used as the worst swear word but it has such a satisfying hard and explosive sound, I sometimes can't resist.

Gilly1952 Wed 21-Aug-19 10:49:25

Somebody once told me there used to be C**t Street in London where all the prostitutes hung out! Has anyone else heard that? I know c**t is a very old fashioned word but I still hate it and find it much more offensive than the F word.

Gilly1952 Wed 21-Aug-19 11:07:10

Me again! Just been looking on Google, etc - yes, there was a street called Gropec**t Lane - evidentially several towns had such named streets in the Middle Ages. Chaucer used the c word very often! What made me laugh was a sign for “Tickle Cock Bridge” - the mind boggles! This post will probably get censored.

Jeanlizzie Wed 21-Aug-19 11:12:33

It's not a word I would use , but as a historian there is another one that starts with a c that I cant bear
Swearing of any sort wasn't done in my family, although in private I can swear with the best of them

polnan Wed 21-Aug-19 11:17:45

Gagajo said
easily offended (hence the Christmas references)
so I was trying (for once!) to avoid causing offense.

I always take the view that if any one wants to take offence they will..... I never give it... it is for the recipient to take it...

now should that be offence or offense? come on, this is an invented human language, we put letters and words and make sounds,,, all invented.... what could possibly be offensive about any word? it is the intention behind it..

my dh hates "stupid" come on.... see what I mean?
mind you, I do cringe at the f word, and now you have all taught me the c word! lol next?

Speldnan Wed 21-Aug-19 11:22:24

There’s nothing wrong with the word per se as DHLawrence uses it to good effect in Lady C as have other writers. It’s when it’s used as an insult that it sounds so ugly and it is strange that words for genitals are used as insults (male and female)as are words for copulation but I guess it originates from times past when the sex act and it’s associated parts were considered to be dirty/ wrong etc etc

absthame Wed 21-Aug-19 11:22:32

Mama, my mother used to use the same phrase when either of my sisters were off for an evening with one or other of their friends. I used to say the same to my GD, who we brought up and received the response “but grandad in your day is was more risky" accompanied with a cheeky smile and giggle.

Speldnan Wed 21-Aug-19 11:23:26

Ps the C word that fills me with dread is the one that ends in ‘mas’ ?

4allweknow Wed 21-Aug-19 11:30:46

I can't stand hearing the word. Usually used with such vehemence towards a person, it's horrible. Lady garden, bush, words I don't use but not quite so offended as with the 'c' word.

granny4hugs Wed 21-Aug-19 12:01:52

'Lady Garden' - ha ha ha ha ha. I thought the daftest euphemism I'd ever heard was years ago from my daughter's Geordie nursery teacher - she called it her 'fairy'. I pointed out that my daughter thought you found fairies at the bottom of the garden. Oh the room for confusion.
Maybe - following this thread - I'll call my FANNY (it is a FANNY so stop FANNYING AROUND) my 'Christmas' from now on.
He he he he ha ha ha ha ha ha.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 21-Aug-19 12:02:25

Oh great.
We have a word other than medical for the female lower bit
Any one ideas for the male lower bits grin

Stella14 Wed 21-Aug-19 12:04:53

I really don’t like the C word, mainly because it’s an insult, but means a woman’s genitals. Why should a woman’s genitals be considered negative? What grates on me more though, is the modern tendency to refer to the Vulva as the Vagina! angry

MooM00 Wed 21-Aug-19 12:08:42

The C word is vile and makes me feel sick if I hear anyone say it.

GoldenAge Wed 21-Aug-19 12:32:46

The C word is only ever used derisively or aggressively, and given that the C is part of the female anatomy that is often violated by men I would have thought that all women, feminists or not, would have been offended at its more widespread use in general language. I'm a feminist through and through and frankly I can't abide other self-proclaimed feminists who use this word in public simply to shock and give the impression they can and want to, compete with men - we have vaginas and when we use that word there's no hostile connotation, but to call someone a C implies the strong belief that the vagina is a worthless place and one that others have the right to denigrate. We would we as women want to downgrade ourselves by assuming our very valuable genitals can be used in general language in such an insulting way? And Chaucer used it - so what? Women were burnt at the stake then for being witches!

dogsmother Wed 21-Aug-19 13:43:13

Not a bit bothered by it.
Had to help my daughter practice use it for a play she was in a few years ago ? we said out loud around the house in the car and wherever we could until we were desensitized. It was a good play she played her part well with no stumbling over the word!

Rufus2 Wed 21-Aug-19 14:00:49

Following on from the F word thread, I thought I'd initiate a discussion about the C word

Why?

Grannycool52 Wed 21-Aug-19 14:12:45

I intensely dislike 'hard' swearing, including the c & f words and do regard them as beyond the pale.

Incidentally, re 'beyond the pale', I actually live ON the Pale'?. You may know that the 'Pale' was an area in the east of Ireland governed by England in the middle ages, surrounded by the PaleDitch to separate it from the rest of the country. I live on the line of the Pale Ditch. It's where the phrase 'beyond the pale' comes from?.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 21-Aug-19 14:31:08

Actually, I don't find c**t offensive in the sense of being shocked by it, probably because no-one I knew ever used it when I was growing up, and by the time I did hear it, I just thought "How odd"

That particular area of the female body was only referred to as "between the legs" when I was a child, even "crotch" was regarded as vaguely indecent.

This being said, I would love a mass return to the standards of my childhood with regards to what words can be said or written for public consumption.

But actually, I would like a "nice" word for the thing. To me "vagina" is a word I would only use when consulting a doctor, and the same goes for "vulva".

I may have been naive, but if anyone had told me when I was sixteen to keep my hand on my halfpenny I would have that they were warning me to be careful I didn't have my purse stolen.

Paperbackwriter Wed 21-Aug-19 15:25:22

I have long thought the time has come to reclaim c* as a beautiful word instead of a bad one. It was used for centuries in a perfectly normal way (though always slightly rude, even back then). If you read Shakespeare's Troilus & Cressida there is an incident where the word 'quaint' is used quite naughtily as that is also a derivation. I do object strongly to a good old Anglo Saxon word for our most beautiful body parts being used as an insult.

Paperbackwriter Wed 21-Aug-19 15:26:03

.. Having said that, I also hate euphemisms. And don't get me started on the prissy sorts who exclaim, "Oh sugar." as if they're too prim to say shit!

Megs36 Wed 21-Aug-19 16:07:55

Some weeks ago I had to ask whether 'lady garden' meant the same as 'front bottom' I was assured by more knowledgeable posters that it does, I have reached the grand old age of 83 and had never heard the expression. Interestingly Google both ??.......

Ohmother Wed 21-Aug-19 16:35:24

Mamaa my mum used to say ‘Don’t come home with your knickers torn and sixpence in your hand”. I used to repeat it to my daughter and never realised what it was insinuating!!! ?

Maremia Wed 21-Aug-19 17:03:00

Interesting post, and have you noticed that the worst swear words are derogatory to women. The c word itself, bitch, slag and so on. There are very few, if any, equivalent male versions. Did you know that the word 'squaw' also means 'c...'? No respect.