Gransnet forums

Chat

Middle of the night negativity

(44 Posts)
soos45 Sat 07-Sep-19 05:28:02

Does anyone else suffer from middle of the night negativity?
After the compulsory early hours bathroom, visit my mind refuses to settle back to sleep and works it's way through many facets of my life where things can go wrong- my health, DH's health, upcoming house move, finances, DS and DD's futures....and so it goes on. Can be an hour or more when I envisage anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong. Sleep eventually comes but this needs to stop. In daylight hours I'm a positive happy person ...and I really need a full night's sleep!! Any ideas???

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 07-Sep-19 14:32:07

Yes, I'm the same. During daylight hours I'm occupied but in the early hours I lie awake with my thoughts - regret about the past which I can't change, concern about the present and worry about the future.

These continue as though they're on a repeating loop. I try to think positive thoughts, daydreams etc. I've no idea how much sleep I actually get. As I'm not falling asleep during the day it must be an adequate amount.

SilverDarlings12 Sat 07-Sep-19 14:37:17

You always make me laugh Rufus. Slainte.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 07-Sep-19 14:57:40

3am for me too (think I'm turning into my mother). Worries going round and round, either real, like current health problems or what-ifs about the DGC. I'll try the word repetition absent and your backward numbers, Maggiemaybe, and thank you both for the ideas.

It's reassuring to find that so many of us have this problem, I suppose, as sometimes it can feel very lonely in the middle of the night, even if there is someone else there but you don't want to spoil their sleep.

soos45 Sun 08-Sep-19 05:38:32

Thanks absent and maggiemaybe....with a combination of both your suggestions I’ve just had the best sleep in a long time ....feel great this morning smile

Calendargirl Sun 08-Sep-19 08:01:09

I think many women do this, don’t think men suffer from lying awake in the night, at least my DH doesn’t seem to.
I have odd nights when I wake and as you say various scenarios flit through my mind. Mainly stuff I can do nothing about, and unknown horrors that might happen.
Just part of being a wife, mum and granny I suppose.

bikergran Sun 08-Sep-19 08:09:47

I think the reason it happens at night is.....the house is usually quiet, others are sleeping soundly, there's not much outside noise, the kettle/tv/radio is not on so no distractions like there are during the day.

Once daylight arrives, we are concentrating on other stuff, getting up/dressed etc whats for breaky/lunch etc.

But the long twilight hours are the longest.

bikergran Sun 08-Sep-19 08:14:16

I can deff say the repetitive word saying does work! I use it all the time.

Also (not sure if it has been mentioned) but there is usually someone lurking around on Gnet during the long hours. if you need a quiet chat. (don't wake the other Grans up though), no giggling,or wild parties) smile lol.

mumofmadboys Sun 08-Sep-19 08:22:14

If I wake in the night and start worrying and can't get back to sleep, I read my tablet for half an hour and then go back to sleep. Seems to work for me.

Fennel Sun 08-Sep-19 09:04:26

I think I once read it's because your blood sugar level drops to its lowest then. Leading to depressing thoughts and feelings.
Could be that - I'm the same.
Maybe have some sweeties by the bed to suck if we wake up?

Chewbacca Sun 08-Sep-19 09:22:24

So many of us..... .

My way of getting back to sleep is by listening to iplayer radio; radio 4 or 4 extra. But it's not ideal when you have to be up for 06.30 to get to work or do childcare.
At weekends, if I'm really desperate to sleep, I take an anti histamine tablet just before bed. Knocks me out for hours!

DanniRae Sun 08-Sep-19 09:48:44

That makes sense Fennel because if I am hungry during the day it can make me feel 'down'.

Marilla Sun 08-Sep-19 09:54:24

I do sympathise with you all. I now do alphabetical lists in my head. Countries, cities, animals, song lists etc.
If my mind starts to wander off, I get back on track and start the list again. I have been surprised at how well this works on most occasions.

Alexa Sun 08-Sep-19 10:00:38

One's vitality is low and there are no distractions to divert your attention from reality.

I tell myself the story of a favourite film. The rule is not to leave anything out even the dialogue, and recall as many visual details as possible as if telling the story to someone else.
I seldom think the story beyond the first two scenes.

Rufus2 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:39:21

but sometimes I get to 0 and have to start again!
Grannybags; It's very annoying, but at least you don't get negative! grin As I've said elsewhere, I'm having lunch at your 3a.m. so feel free to chat!
Equally, our 3a.m is your tea-time, so if I'm still wide awake I could post and ask "what's for tea tonight" Cheers wine

Callistemon Tue 10-Sep-19 13:50:04

Rufus I'm in your time zone.

I'm ok until I have to trek to the little room then I imagine every worst case scenario. When I eventually drop off again I get woken at 5 am by a demented maggie knocking furiously on the window, thinking its own reflection is a rival!

Rufus2 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:52:06

get woken at 5 am by a demented maggie knocking furiously on the window, thinking its own reflection is a rival!
Callistemon; That's not a sociable Maggie! shock At least my feathered friends don't get up until sunrise which is after 5.00am, although I'm usually not up until later (not as late as Burlington Bertie!), so I can't confirm that!
However, they don't get much of a reflection with windows being so dirty at this end of Winter; the tapping is a signal that it's their breakfast time, (after mine!) grin OoRoo

Maggiemaybe Tue 10-Sep-19 21:17:24

At least us GN Maggies have more consideration than to be waking people up at the crack of dawn. We’re only very rarely demented or unsociable. wink

Carillion01 Wed 11-Sep-19 11:58:57

I've always been a poor sleeper, even as a child. I must have had anxieties I never knew I had!
When I was three I had a 'Sooty and Sweep' annual that said in its back cover if you shook the pages over your pillow the oofle dust would make you go to sleep! Worked beautifully until my mother said it was ridiculous and didn't work.

Seriously though I agree with previous posters and feel things feel worse when you reflect on them in the wee small hours.
I have to make myself physically worn out or watch something unimportant on the iPad...that invariably sends me off.