Gransnet forums

Chat

Looking forward

(79 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sat 14-Sep-19 14:03:13

Oh Goody!
An email just now from the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, Guildford, announces their forthcoming events one of which is pictured.
I saw Martin Shaw in The Country Wife and enjoyed it very much.
I shall book a table for a friend and myself at the Riverside Restaurant on the River Wey and next to the theatre.
There is much to look forward to this Autumn/Winter and theatre visits plus trips to various Christmas Fayres are part of that excitement for me.
How about your plans for this coming season?

Beechnut Tue 17-Sep-19 06:15:03

Pantglas2 we once stayed on a campsite in Nebo Rd.

Pantglas2 Tue 17-Sep-19 08:16:29

That would be Kerrys? Bodnant caravan park? Was the weather good - it’s a lovely part of the country when sun is shining and stunning on crisp autumn mornings or frosty wintry days but I hate the rain - hence my little place in Spain for frequent escapes!

annsixty Tue 17-Sep-19 08:34:15

I was chatting to a neighbour yesterday, he is retired and told me his wife is retiring next year when she is 60.
They have decided to do this now the goalposts have been moved yet again.
They plan to travel, first is a trip to Australia then touring the west coast of America, possibly doing Hawaii.
They will plan further when they have done those.
How different to 50/60 years ago when retirement meant a vastly reduced income and an end to a full life.

grapefruitpip Tue 17-Sep-19 08:54:38

I don't know why people feel the need to write this stuff down.

Really, I don't. What a curious thing to do and lacking humility.

For what it's worth, I am trying to use the autumn to be more outward looking. I have signed up at a charity shop, although the manager seems rather fierce! I have also enrolled on a course and will continue with one exercise class and possibly another.
I'd love some new blinds in the kitchen but funds may not allow.

M0nica Tue 17-Sep-19 08:59:50

I think virtue signalling shows a lack of humility as well!

grapefruitpip Tue 17-Sep-19 09:03:59

No virtue signaling, stating a fact. Where on earth has this silly phrase come from?

I would like to volunteer in a local shop. I was attracted to it because it is within walking distance and it is clean and has some nice bits and pieces. It will help me to have a routine. Please please somebody enlighten me as to where there is virtue signaling.

morethan2 Tue 17-Sep-19 09:06:16

My ‘mad as a March hair’ sister in law is coming down next week. Mainly to see my DiL but in between we’ll have a good laugh, a gossip, lots of good wine and food and it’s only a week so there won’t be time for her to drive me crazy.wink I’m also looking after my sons dog so I won’t feel lonely when she’s gone. The weather is meant to be good so I’ll be out and about. Oh and I’m planning a new kitchen for the new year.

janeainsworth Tue 17-Sep-19 09:10:21

grapefruit
It was James Delibgoole who coined the expression ‘virtue signalling’
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/i-invented-virtue-signalling-now-its-taking-over-the-world/amp/
I’m concentrating on enjoying every minute.
Pilates this morning, tennis this afternoon and ballroom dancing tonight.
Last night I joined the local Photographic Society.
Big Birthday coming up & we are having a night at the Grand Hotel in Tynemouth.
In October, a visit to my sister in Cornwall, DH’s family & then on to see dS & family in Virginia and my cousin in California with a visit to Yosemite.

Grateful to have so much to look forward to.

M0nica Tue 17-Sep-19 09:11:54

Because it followed on your first 2 sentences. Without them it would have been a response like everybody elses - things we would be doing in the next few months that we are particulary looking forward to.

We are all allowed to live our lives in anticipation of the enjoyable things we have ahead of us from world cruises to the joys of Autumn, except someone will probably grumble at that and mutter that it is alright if you live somewhere where there are trees etc.

There is no parade on GN that does not immediately attract several rain clouds out to spoil it.

grapefruitpip Tue 17-Sep-19 09:18:48

I guess sometimes it's nice to be sensitive about who we are parading in front of.

gillybob Tue 17-Sep-19 09:22:45

In one way I can understand why anyone with nothing much to look forward to might feel a bit peeved at such a happy, up beat thread, but I have always lived by the thought that “pissing on your lawn ain’t gonna make mine any greener” is it ? So why begrudge someone’s good life/good time just because you are not quite so fortunate?

Okay so I admit to feeling a bit of envy for the trips I will never take, but hey that’s life isn’t it?

Keep up this lovely thread as ( being the miserable cow that I am) I actually really enjoy hearing about other people’s happiness . smile

annsixty Tue 17-Sep-19 09:33:18

So am I gilly
Everyone should take every opportunity.
Life is very short.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-Sep-19 09:34:20

I appreciate that I am fortunate, I never intended to be boastful, just truthful.

EllanVannin Tue 17-Sep-19 09:35:39

I'm all for " doing it while you can " as, not to put a dampener on anyone, but there'll come a time when you can't for whatever reason.
Right now I'd like to think I'd get to Aus. this time next year to celebrate my 80th ! Business Class for that extra comfort. I've celebrated my 40th/50th and 60th there so an 80th would be a bonus. I'll see how the next 12 months go. It would be nearing my D's 60th too who's out there.#

I just feel that I'd like one more throw of the dice.

gillybob Tue 17-Sep-19 09:42:05

Fortunately I am quite a simple person with simple tastes . Although it would be nice to have a lovely holiday to look forward to every once in a while , My DH doesn’t know how lucky he was when he met me . grin

Gonegirl Tue 17-Sep-19 09:43:15

Soon it will be chilly enough to light my little woodburner for the first time this season, and then start snuggling down in my living room in the late afternoons with my book and/or the telly, with the fairy lights switched on.

I'm not a traveller. In fact I have to be dragged to France each year by my daughter or I would go no further than the beautiful Black Mountains countryside, which is a very easy journey from where I live.

I look forward to Winter. It's when you are allowed to do not much at all. I hope for snow. smile

Gonegirl Tue 17-Sep-19 09:44:09

Like Gabriella I look forward to Autumn and Christmas fayres. You do get lovely cake.

crystaltipps Tue 17-Sep-19 09:46:10

Anyone who doesn’t want to read this thread can hide it/ not read it . The OP asked what things we had to look forward to. It could be joining a new class or holidaying in the tropics. I’m not writing down what I’m doing as I expect I’ll get accused of virtue signalling or boasting or whatever. Shame as I am doing some rather lovely stuff. I agree carpe diem and all that. A good friend of a similar vintage as me has recently died of ovarian cancer. We never know what’s around the corner so cram in whatever you can is my motto.

Alima Tue 17-Sep-19 09:46:15

Lovely to hear of peoples plans. There’s a lot to be said for “doing it while you can”. DH has a terminal cancer diagnosis and going through another round of palliative chemo soon. DD1 going through a stressful and nasty (for all concerned) breakup. That make you feel better kircubbin200?

Beechnut Tue 17-Sep-19 09:48:40

Pantglass21 yes it was Bodnant. Apart from the first night when it was very windy and we had to take the awning off the tent we had good weather and I especially liked our trip to Portmerion. Iknowi haven’t spelt that correctly.
gillybob your saying made me laugh, I’ve not heard that before.

When I got out of my car at the pool this morning my pleasure was looking at the bark on the tree I had parked next to. The different colours were catching the morning light and it looked so beautiful.

gillybob Tue 17-Sep-19 09:57:35

Glad it tickled you Beechnut grin
It’s true though isn’t ?

Beechnut Tue 17-Sep-19 10:01:21

Yep, you’re right gillybob

Gonegirl Tue 17-Sep-19 10:01:36

Yes, that is a very good saying gillybob. grin

Callistemon Tue 17-Sep-19 10:17:13

Enjoying the beautiful scenery here in Oz and off to NZ later in the week with several trips planned..

Reading some of the threads we're wondering whether we should stay longer!

gillybob Tue 17-Sep-19 10:40:24

Oh go on Calli

stay........ just a little bit longer ? ?