Gransnet forums

Chat

LAST NIGHT OF THE PROMS

(30 Posts)
Lyndiloo Sun 15-Sep-19 04:52:44

I was a bit shocked tonight on watching the last night of the proms, to see the guest female singer (sorry, can't remember her name) to suddenly pull out a Gay Rights flag after her rendering of 'Rule Britannia'. Not the right time or the right place, in my opinion.

Also, does the EU flag have a place here? I think not!

loopyloo Sun 15-Sep-19 06:07:03

That's what's so good about this country. We have the freedom to express ourselves provided it doesn't scare the horses.

Dottynan Sun 15-Sep-19 06:14:10

I agree with Lyndiloo there is a time and place. Went to Reading yesterday and they have a gay crossing {smile}

Goodbyetoallthat Sun 15-Sep-19 07:03:17

I agree loopyloo or shock the gnetters!
We attended one of the proms in the park events & then came back to watch the second half from the Albert Hall. It was a fabulous atmosphere & I thought that Jamie Barton (the soloist) was superb.

Oopsminty Sun 15-Sep-19 07:08:20

Jamie was fabulous!

Auntieflo Sun 15-Sep-19 07:56:46

Yes, she, Jamie, was fantastic. What a wonderful voice and a smile to match.

mokryna Sun 15-Sep-19 08:06:09

I would love to go. How long and at what price is the waiting list. I thought there were less foreign flags than last year, they add to the atmosphere. Anyone been from GN?

kircubbin2000 Sun 15-Sep-19 08:08:27

Disappointed that Casualty wasn't on. We don't all want to look at concerts.

Grandma70s Sun 15-Sep-19 08:15:34

The EU flag definitely has a place there. Music is the most international of pursuits, and should have no borders. Classical musicians come from everywhere.

The gay pride flag was fine by me. Why not? Jamie Barton herself is bisexual, and again music has no barriers. She is a terrific singer and great personality.

I’ve been in a few proms, and in the audience for a few, too, but never the last night. I like to watch on television in the comfort of my own home.

sodapop Sun 15-Sep-19 08:17:27

I agree loopyloo thank goodness for freedom of expression. Loved the last night of the Proms as always.

GrandmaMoira Sun 15-Sep-19 09:11:32

The Last Night of the Proms is always a happy, uplifting concert to watch and definitely should be inclusive. Everyone else had flags of their choice so why shouldn't the singer wave the one she wants? What is wrong with the EU flag? Music is international and we are all EU citizens and I am sure there are many non British in the audience. If I was there I would wave an EU flag and a flag of St Andrews!

lemongrove Sun 15-Sep-19 09:27:11

EU flags were waved for political reasons ( i.e. the person waving it had voted to remain in the EU) and gay pride flag waving is just tiresome, particularly from a performer.
Gay rights are accepted and implemented here, and in the US where the soloist is from.
Music is universal, but this music event takes place here and is about music and ( if they want to) a bit of British flag waving, to celebrate.
I don’t care about the sexuality of singers/ musicians, they are people, making wonderful music and that in itself is uniting, you don’t need anything else at all IMHO.

EllanVannin Sun 15-Sep-19 09:30:00

I was waving my little Aussie flag here.Would you believe I don't have a British one ? At least the Aussie one has a bit of us on it smile
Shows how thick I am as I thought the singer was waving a flag of many countries with its colours ( rolls eyes ) I had no idea.

A brilliant night's entertainment.

merlotgran Sun 15-Sep-19 09:43:32

I don't really take much notice of the flags other than approve of a sea of them. People enjoying themselves and singing their hearts out is what matters. It must be a wonderful atmosphere.

I don't bother about the jingoistic words to the songs either. They connect me to all the music lovers in my family past and present. My grandmother used to let me stay up late to watch it on their tiny black and white telly and taught me the words to Land of Hope and Glory. It was very much of their time.

It's an evening full of emotion, a chance to reflect and think about those I have loved.

Any political messages are totally lost on me. So long as nobody tries to hi-jack a performance they can wave whatever they like.

eazybee Sun 15-Sep-19 10:18:13

Jamie Burton was employed to perform at a traditional, one night, once a year, outpouring of patriotic/ jingoistic, (whichever you prefer) songs, not to display aspects of her personal and private life. I found it distasteful.

Grandma70s Sun 15-Sep-19 12:10:15

Lots of other people’s lives, too, eazybee. I’m quite sure her use of gay pride symbols would have been approved by the powers-that-be. These things don’t just happen.

The words of the songs are of their time, not guides to our thinking now. Jerusalem in particular is a wonderful poem set to very good music.

sodapop Sun 15-Sep-19 12:43:12

Did the flag waving cause any problems apart from offending delicate sensibilities. I think not. Some people seem intent on spoiling things for others. So many people enjoy the Proms, nothing wrong in my opinion in maintaining this tradition.
As Grandma70 said the songs are of their time and the music is wonderful.

ElaineI Sun 15-Sep-19 13:35:46

The flags don't bother me at all. Currently we live in a country with freedom of expression. What I don't like is everyone getting the words and actions of Auld Lang Syne wrong - several times!

yggdrasil Sun 15-Sep-19 14:02:46

Grandma 70 : I agree with you absolutely.
The only thing that bothers me is Land of Hope and Glory, whose words I don't like at all. But it is traditional, and I very much doubt anyone at the Albert Hall was singing in the vein of some organisations I know of.

Greenfinch Sun 15-Sep-19 14:33:56

Dottynan What is a "gay crossing"?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 15-Sep-19 14:40:23

We were warned beforehand in the newspapers about Jamie Barton's stance on this subject so I was prepared for her to wave a flag of some sort.

There seems to be few occasions these days where someone isn't waving a flag.

Her singing was delightful though and that's the main thing.

crystaltipps Sun 15-Sep-19 14:40:24

I’ve been to the Last Night years ago and I seem to remember loads of different flags being waved- Welsh, Scottish, Irish, Aussie, USA the lot. Didn’t bother me, the music was written by composers of many nationalities as were the musicians. It’s an international event .

Luckygirl Sun 15-Sep-19 14:52:01

The fact that this was a gay pride flag passed me by completely.

I just wish I had a heterosexual flag to wave - I am feeling deeply deprived!

But as a performer - at a concert? - Maybe not. Seems pointless. I have no interest in what she does with her genitalia. I just listen for the music.

crystaltipps Sun 15-Sep-19 14:55:30

I remember seeing a gay crossing in London at around the time of Pride - I don’t know if it’s a permanent thing - on the green light it has two male symbols and or female symbols intertwined which light up if that makes sense.

Greenfinch Sun 15-Sep-19 15:00:31

Thank you crystaltipps.I shall look out for the one in Reading.