Gransnet forums

Chat

Time to check your lights, ladies! (and gents)

(18 Posts)
Grandad1943 Tue 01-Oct-19 11:50:09

Many vehicles with automatic light systems also give warning of any light not working. With these vehicles it is only a matter of looking at the instrument or computer screen every few minutes during a journey and any defective light information will be there to be seen by the driver.

Alignment of lights should be checked at every service. The technician should gain that information when he plugs the vehicle into the garage system at the start of each service.

Again, all faults and state of wear of components on the vehicle are given to the technicians by the system at that time.

People running vehicles with faulty lights etc are very often those who do not have their vehicles serviced regularly (if at all) and in that are a danger to all others road usres. So, if you have a dash cam (as many vehicles now have fitted) do not be afraid to record those drivers and report the matter.

Should a check reveal that the vehicle is in regular service then normally only a warning will be given for a faulty light etc. If the check reveals no recent service history then it is often found there is also no MOT, tax or insurance and prosecution can then follow

Hope this help

phoenix Fri 27-Sep-19 18:06:59

Thank you all for the posts, some of which highlight my concerns with regard to "automatic" lights!

Bopeep14 Fri 27-Sep-19 16:55:14

For all those who have newer cars and have front day time running lights, do you know you have no back lights on.
Was on the motorway and the amount of people with no light showing at the back in the pouring rain but these on at the front was terrible.

Maggiemaybe Fri 27-Sep-19 16:50:02

Ah, I’m reassured to see I’m not alone.

www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/are-car-headlights-too-bright-dazzled-drivers-say-its-getting-worse/

Maggiemaybe Fri 27-Sep-19 16:48:23

I do, tanith, regularly. I do have sensitive eyes but would be surprised if I’m the only one.

tanith Fri 27-Sep-19 14:23:24

I have my cars lights on automatic so I can’t forget.
The trick with headlight dazzle is not to look at them watch the road ahead if you notice a car with badly adjusted lights coming towards you. Also if you notice oncoming headlights a lot you should have your eyes checked.

Maggiemaybe Fri 27-Sep-19 12:57:56

In fact, we saw a cyclist recently who seemed to have simply draped himself and his bike with the harshest flashing lights. I’m aware that they need to be seen, but blinding oncoming drivers can’t be a good move!

Maggiemaybe Fri 27-Sep-19 12:55:36

Does anyone else think some lights these days are way too bright? Some of them dazzle and even hurt my eyes. Fortunately I’m not a driver so can just bury my head in a book on dark mornings.

Mapleleaf Fri 27-Sep-19 12:28:26

I often see drivers who don't put their lights on when it's pouring with rain - presumably because they think that as it's day time, it doesn't matter!!
I don't understand this refusal to put on the lights, it's dangerous and also illegal when driving conditions are poor or/and if it's dark/getting dark. Don't these people wish to be seen?! Don't they care about the safety of other road users and pedestrians? It's the same with cyclists who don't have/use lights. Why?

Hetty58 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:42:43

I was about to cross the road (on a misty morning) when I saw a bike light and waited. It turned out to be a car with one headlight that parked nearby. I went over (out of my way) and told the driver that he only had one headlight working. 'I know!' he said. Some people!

phoenix Thu 26-Sep-19 21:35:39

Charley Girl & MiniMoon you should still check to make sure all bulbs are working and headlights are correctly aligned.

I do see cars with headlights on, but with one pointing out, down or sideways!

Just because things work "automatically" doesn't mean they work correctly.

MiniMoon Thu 26-Sep-19 21:26:19

The headlights on our car are set to automatic, they come on and go off according to the light.
I never change the setting, although you can set them to manual.

Charleygirl5 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:22:12

My lights come on automatically the minute I switch the engine on.

Doodle Thu 26-Sep-19 21:18:36

Good point phoenix. Easy to forget to check.

Marydoll Thu 26-Sep-19 20:30:36

We had heavy fog the other morning and many were driving without any lights at all, let alone fog lights!
It was downright dangerous. angry

Joelsnan Thu 26-Sep-19 20:22:27

Thanks, will do ?

phoenix Thu 26-Sep-19 20:20:34

Missing "who" in the post above, apologies!

(Stand down those in Pedants Corner who might have been ready to pounce!)

phoenix Thu 26-Sep-19 20:18:31

Hello all, and the usual good wishes.

It was grey, overcast and rainy the other day and I was shockto find many motorists driving without any lights on, and some of those were sensible enough to be using them, having only one light working properly.

Please take a little time to check that your car lights are all working and correctly aligned.

As the saying goes "Winter draws (drawers) on"!