Gransnet forums

Chat

Loyalty cards

(12 Posts)
TinaSharp Wed 09-Oct-19 16:38:34

I found a really interesting on article on some of the best loyalty cards and it got me thinking, are there any other gems out there that have some good benefits?

www.discountpromocodes.co.uk/blog/top-10-shops-with-the-best-loyalty-card-programmes

Not that I need any more loyalty cards in my purse but I do love a bargain!

jo1book Wed 09-Oct-19 16:48:17

I have about £55 on my nectar card (mostly Sainsburys). Although I know I can use them to buy Groceries, are the points worth more elsewhere?

Greenfinch Wed 09-Oct-19 16:58:17

No I think the points are worth the same wherever you spend them. I tend to use them at Argos towards a bigger purchase. I can then see the result of my saving whereas if I used it on groceries I would soon forget it.

TinaSharp Wed 09-Oct-19 17:01:13

I generally stock up my nectar points over the year and end up with around £50 - hubby and I both get fuel from there too - which is really handy for the big Christmas shop!

GrandmaKT Wed 09-Oct-19 17:04:30

There is a really useful app called Stocard that you can keep all your cards on. You take photos of the card on your phone and they are all stored there so you don't need to carry a bulging wallet of cards with you. In the shop, you just open the app and they scan the 'card' on your phone.

TinaSharp Wed 09-Oct-19 17:07:54

Genuinely have never heard of that but that sounds so much less hassle than having them all rammed in your purse!

Pittcity Wed 09-Oct-19 17:17:48

I use nectar points in Argos and have used them for Legoland tickets in the past. The scheme has recently changed so I'd check the website.
I have my cards on Google Pay but a lot of them are rarely used.

Jane43 Wed 09-Oct-19 17:55:06

Every so often there is a ‘double up’ when you can trade your Nectar points for double the usual value for a voucher to be spent in certain Sainsburys Departments. We haven’t done this as we usually save ours up to spend at Christmas.

mumofmadboys Wed 09-Oct-19 18:37:54

The double up scheme for Sainsburys is usually a week in November. Points are worth double their value but has to be spent in certain areas of the shop eg clothes, household, perfumes, fine wines.

Calendargirl Wed 09-Oct-19 18:50:50

Just be wary of stacking up big balances on your Nectar card. If you lose your card, you’ll lose your points if someone else spends them. Often happens apparently.

Sara65 Wed 09-Oct-19 18:53:40

I’ve got £129 pounds on my Waterstones card, I’m saving it up for Christmas presents.

Fiachna50 Sat 23-Nov-19 00:47:53

I thought I would post this on the Loyalty Card thread. My friend has told me that Caffe Nero are doing away with their paper,Loyalty Card. You are now required to download the Caffe Nero App onto your Smartphone and scan it at the till. They will honour the paper Loyalty Cards till they run out. You will not have to pay for your coffee with your Smartphone, but I wonder how long that will last. Im really not keen on this system and would rather have had a card like Costa or Muffin Break.