Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas alone....

(8 Posts)
Theoddbird Tue 22-Oct-19 11:44:55

It is that time of year. I am reading and hearing people saying that a relative should not spend Christmas alone. I just don't understand this. They are alone on other days why not Christmas day... I visit family through the year and they come to me. This year I am sticking to my guns (have done it twice in last 18 years). I will spend Christmas alone. I will cook what I want, watch what I want on tv, maybe watch one of my favourite Christmas dvds. I will have a large brandy... I will be snug on my narrow boat home and will enjoy it....alone

Sara65 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:58:26

It sounds wonderful, I’m sure you’re going to have a lovely Christmas.

Charleygirl5 Tue 22-Oct-19 12:01:30

The 25th to me is another day when most of the shops are closed. I also can eat and drink what I want. Depending on how I feel, I may paint my bedroom around that time because I will get peace.

Julesw Tue 22-Oct-19 12:16:09

I think your Christmas sounds perfect. So many people say 'Christmas just isn't the same once the children are grown'.
My husband and I have spent a few Christmas' alone and just as you say, we eat what we like, have time to open presents and watch our preferred TV programmes.

I think the Christmas adverts showing picture perfect families having the most wonderful time, unsettle 'aloners'.
Of course, family Christmas's are wonderful but can be very, very stressful too.

Well done for sticking to your own agenda.

Julia

lemongrove Tue 22-Oct-19 12:51:20

If it’s what you want theoddbird then that’s fine, but many people do feel very lonely on Christmas Day.
In many cases they would love to be with extended family or friends, but it’s either unfeasible or they are simply unwanted.

rockgran Tue 22-Oct-19 13:43:55

If you choose to be alone that is great but it is nice to have been asked. Not having any choice is probably what defines being lonely.

Theoddbird Tue 22-Oct-19 15:02:24

Yes I agree rockgran... It is more about the perception that because it is Christmas one should not be alone. I just don't get why it is different to any other day where being alone is concerned.

Grandma70s Tue 22-Oct-19 16:05:35

It is actually quite difficult to be alone at Christmas. You have to hide, because if any neighbour or passer-by realises you’re alone they will insist you go to them. I’ve nearly managed it once, and it was wonderful until some well-meaning person came and interrupted King’s College Choir on TV. I felt I couldn’t say “Excuse me, I’m trying to watch this, so would you please go away?”

If you’re spending Christmas with your husband, you are not alone!