Gransnet forums

Chat

changing banks .

(6 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Wed 23-Oct-19 10:38:47

My local bank has closed , so now to do a transfer of money I have to go to the next big town . I don't trust on line !
So this morning I'm thinking of changing banks but am nervous in case things don't go smoothly . Has anyone changed banks recently ?

Pantglas2 Wed 23-Oct-19 11:09:11

I understand your concerns about online banking as I also had them. However it was pointed out that I could check my balance each morning and would know immediately whether something untoward had happened eg hacking.

With a paper statement once a month, hacking via the banks computers could occur immediately after the statement had been issued and the customer would be none the wiser for weeks.

petra Wed 23-Oct-19 11:23:26

tiredoldwoman
I've changed banks many times. Compared to years ago it's a doddle.

You say you don't trust online banking, please give it some thought.

Some time ago my card was 'compromised' Now because I bank online and check every day i saw that it had been used in a carpark in the midlands ( I live in Southend)

I was onto my bank immediately. if I still had a monthly paper statement I wouldn't have seen this. Having said that most banks now notify you when there is suspicious transactions.

Charleygirl5 Wed 23-Oct-19 11:29:51

It is very easy to transfer money. The only advice I can give you is not to transfer a couple of days before your pension is due to be paid in. It only takes 7 working days and compared with years ago it is a breeze.

GabriellaG54 Wed 23-Oct-19 11:38:06

Oh yes, several banks several times. All without any hiccups.

GabriellaG54 Wed 23-Oct-19 11:44:21

I do all my banking online. 4 bank accounts, 3 savings accounts 2 credit cards/accounts and a share dealing account and although I've switched banks many times during the past 25 years there has never been a problem and never had my details compromised.