Gransnet forums

Chat

Frightening Encounter.

(16 Posts)
Daisymae Tue 05-Nov-19 07:54:19

Reporting was the right thing to do. Hope you soon get over it, sounds like he may have a mental health issue. Not that's any comfort to you.

Hithere Mon 04-Nov-19 21:06:54

You are brave for reporting it!

mosaicwarts Mon 04-Nov-19 17:03:48

So sorry to hear this happened to you, and am very glad you are safe. I don't believe there was a dog either, I think he was as others said either drunk or mentally ill and wanted to hurt someone today. Glad you have reported it.

Nonnie Mon 04-Nov-19 16:57:59

Sounds like he was either drunk or mentally ill. Whatever the reason I hope you have reported it, he could hurt someone else.

Luckygirl Mon 04-Nov-19 16:54:55

That is truly horrible. So sorry that you encountered such a dreadful person. flowers

ladymuck Mon 04-Nov-19 16:50:15

Thank you all for your sympathy. I have reported it now. As you say, although I was unharmed on this occasion, someone else might not be so fortunate.

Fiachna50 Mon 04-Nov-19 14:21:52

So sorry you had this experience. Please, please report it. You may save some other person the same experience.

grannyactivist Mon 04-Nov-19 14:13:31

ladymuck - that was a horrid encounter and I'm sorry you were the subject of this man's ire. Please do report it to the police because they need the help of the public in detecting patterns of behaviour. Even if he hasn't done it in the past this man may well do it again in the future.

I hope you are quickly able to put this behind you. flowers

Jane10 Mon 04-Nov-19 13:36:33

Gosh. Scary. I hope you're feeling a bit better now. Something like that is bound to shake you up a bit.
The others are right. The Police need to know about this man. There may be a pattern of reports concerning him so it could be really useful.

tanith Mon 04-Nov-19 13:17:06

So sorry you had such an awful experience, I’ve always been wary of walking along the towpath on our local canal it has long stretches between access points and there is no where to run to if in difficulty.
I agree with the others maybe you should just inform the police.

SalsaQueen Mon 04-Nov-19 13:15:50

That's very frightening and unpleasant. I hope you reported it to the police. Perhaps the man was drunk or on drugs.

Hithere Mon 04-Nov-19 12:35:37

How scary. What a dangerous individual!
I hope the police catch him.
There could be no dog at all and it may have just an excuse to initiate conversation.

SueDonim Mon 04-Nov-19 12:22:51

Oh my goodness, that's awful! shock I'm sorry, you must feel really shaken up. flowers

I think you should report it to the police, really. He may have been doing this to others and your account could be helpful.

paintingthetownred Mon 04-Nov-19 12:22:22

I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Something similar happened to me a few years ago, and then recently, when I was minding my own business just out and about on a familiar route.

It knocked my confidence and really frightened me.

IF you have a moment, consider phoning the police on 101 especially if you have a time and description.

Likelihood is, unfortunately, if he can do this to a complete stranger then his anger hurts others too. Make sure you get an incident number.

It's important, as you don't know if it has happened before. I used to walk on a towpath too and sometimes the police, alough stretched badly as it is, put a visible presence in for a while and divert officers, which makes people feel safer. Especially if is a route where people think they can't be seen or heard and therefore feel free to deliver any insulting and firghtenign things they see fit.

Unacceptable behaviour and once again sorry you experienced this

all best
painting

Singlegrannie Mon 04-Nov-19 12:22:14

Hope you will be reporting this to the police ladymuck. What a dreadful experience.

ladymuck Mon 04-Nov-19 12:14:57

Nothing anyone on here can do but I need to tell someone what happened to me this morning.
I was walking along the canal towpath, heading to the shops, when a man shouted to me. I stopped and turned and he said, have you seen a dog?' I said 'no' and carried on walking. He was obviously in a temper and wanted to vent his anger on someone. He walked quickly and overtook me then turned and raised his fist and threatened to 'smash my face in'. I'm sure if I had reacted, he would have done just that. He was very stocky and I wouldn't have stood a chance against him. I dread to think what he did to the dog when he found it.