Gransnet forums

Chat

Pumpkins

(25 Posts)
Greenfinch Mon 04-Nov-19 14:13:58

There were some huge pumpkins reduced in Morrisons this morning.DD bought one because she likes the seeds ! As we don't like waste, can anyone suggest what we can do with the rest and how you peel the bloomin thing ?

Greenfinch Mon 04-Nov-19 14:18:32

By the way it is a ghost pumpkin if that makes a difference.

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-Nov-19 14:28:10

Google pumpkin recipes - pumpkin soup, pumpkin curry, pumpkin pie (yum yum) I went to Tesco and sadly all gone!

Very versatile!
I cut into chunks and bake till soft. It concentrates the flavour and the skin is easily removed then.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 14:51:35

All the above and roast pumpkin (drizzle with oil, perhaps add a few chilli flakes)
and roast with the skin on as NotSpaghetti says, as it may be difficult to peel when raw.

There has been a campaign to encourage us to eat the pumpkins as about 6 million are wasted each year after being carved for Hallowe'en.

Calendargirl Mon 04-Nov-19 14:56:58

Round us, people who keep chickens or pigs always seem keen to have them for feed.

Gaunt47 Mon 04-Nov-19 15:38:04

My local garden centre is holding a 'pumpkin amnesty' grin

Oopsminty Mon 04-Nov-19 15:38:46

My son made pumpkin pie. I was dubious. But it was delicious!

EllanVannin Mon 04-Nov-19 15:43:23

A friend in Oz used to make the most delicious pumpkin soup with just a slight hint of curry. I've never tasted the like of it since and never did get the recipe unfortunately because I love making soups.

jaylucy Mon 04-Nov-19 15:51:01

I love pumpkin ! In Oz, it is treated like a second veg, either steamed or roasted. If you cut it into chunks, sometimes the skin is easy to cut off - if not, cook it with the skin on and it will be easy to remove.
You basically treat it the same as butternut squash.

polyester57 Mon 04-Nov-19 15:54:30

Those ghost pumpkins have hardly anything inside them, just a lot of seeds and "threads", not much you can do with those.

anniezzz09 Mon 04-Nov-19 16:24:25

Look up a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cake, easy to find and delicious.

M0nica Mon 04-Nov-19 17:08:25

Use in casseroles and stews as you would carrots or other root veg.

To peel: cut into sections and run a knife between pumpkin and skin as you would a melon. Then chop the pumpkin 'meat' into cubes and freeze.

As everyone says the internet is awash with pumpkin and squash recipes. All are completely interchangeable.

This year I have Butternut squashes, Turk's Turban squashes and standard pumpkins. The first two I grew, the pumpkins my neighbour grew and gave to me.

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-Nov-19 19:49:19

Oh no! I had no idea the “ghost” ones have nothing much inside!
What a pity. The others are delicious and versatile.
I hope yours DOES have some flesh inside Greenfinch

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 19:51:50

jaylucy no Australian roast dinner is complete without roast pumpkin

Bathsheba Mon 04-Nov-19 20:08:52

I suspect the majority of large pumpkins sold in the UK are the ghost variety. I wish the shops here sold more of the proper ones, but as they seem to be sold only for carving, not for eating, they're not available after Halloween. Pity.

Greenfinch Mon 04-Nov-19 20:40:00

Thanks to all those who responded.Lots of ideas here which I hope to follow up.DD has taken possession of the pumpkin but as she mainly wanted it for the seeds ,I don't think she will be disappointed if there isn't much flesh. I would like to try some of these recipes though.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 20:41:50

I thought that ghost pumpkins were white?

Perhaps not

Greenfinch Mon 04-Nov-19 20:46:05

Mine is.

Bathsheba Mon 04-Nov-19 20:52:04

I thought ghost pumpkin was just a term for pumpkins that had little else but seeds and string. Maybe I'm wrong...

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-Nov-19 22:03:09

Not sure where you are, Bathsheba but I’ve always had plenty of flesh from UK pumpkins.
It’s quite a few years since we grew our own so they’ve been “Halloween” ones from supermarkets and have still been fine.

Daisymae Mon 04-Nov-19 22:13:14

I made soup with one a few years ago. It was very bland and I wouldn't waste my time again. There edible one that are much more palatable.

CanadianGran Mon 04-Nov-19 22:24:03

As others have said, there are lots of recipes on line, and can be used like any other squash.
If I have no immediate plans, I will roast then puree the pumpkin and freeze in 1 cup measures for baking muffins or cakes.
Dogs also love pumpkin and it is good for them. I will give a few tablespoons to my dog with her regular hard food.

agnurse Mon 04-Nov-19 22:28:24

Pumpkin loaf, muffins, and cakes are yummy as well.

LullyDully Tue 05-Nov-19 08:21:34

We found that the pumpkins didn't have enough flesh this year. It seemed they had been bred for lanterns not as a vegetable. We always used to make soup with bacon and roast the seeds with salt. Still, much easier to carve so I am told. It had stringy stuff inside like a spaghetti marrow.No

LullyDully Tue 05-Nov-19 08:22:15

No idea where " no" came from.