Gransnet forums

Chat

Ladies and Gentlemen its time to take your seats

(87 Posts)
Dottynan Wed 06-Nov-19 09:02:45

We should not be defined by our gender when visiting a theatre therefore the Ladies and Gentlemen title is being dropped.

Rufus2 Sat 09-Nov-19 13:59:53

Why is this suddenly a brexit thread?
FarNorth; Read the OP! If this is not about the "Theatre of the Absurd" then I don't know what is! grin
Just take your seat, sit back, relax and don't criticise the performers. They are struggling enough as it is, without additional commentary!
OoRoo wine wine wine

FarNorth Sat 09-Nov-19 13:40:40

Why is this suddenly a brexit thread?

Elegran Sat 09-Nov-19 12:58:22

^ I've always looked up to you as being a paragon of British politics,^ ? But I have spent eight years successfully avoiding the alligators in the politics threads!

Rufus2 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:19:32

Rufus Neighhhhh
elegran; I take it that's not a gentle "whinny"? grin I can imagine you shaking your head from side to side, nostrils flaring! grin
Thanks for going to the stress of composing your reply; I've always looked up to you as being a paragon of British politics, so I'm rather surprised that you got into a tizzy with your reply! But fear not!; Although not being a ruminant, I'll be chewing the cud in my dreams tonight as I try to digest its meaning, grin
"Antepenultimate" Wow! hmm
OoRoo poppy poppy poppy

grandtanteJE65 Fri 08-Nov-19 16:34:07

Anyone remember the Giles' cartoon on the New Year's Day when the law about not discriminating on grounds of sex in the sense of whether we are male or female came into force?

It consisted of an ugly square building, very obviously a public convenience with the doors labelled "People" and "People"

We thought it hilarious back them, as we did the one published later the same week, a woman doctor beckoning to a shy elderly man, "Come along, sir, by law there is no difference between you and me any more" or words to that effect, I doubt I have quoted it accurately.

Summerlove Fri 08-Nov-19 16:21:37

Bridgeit please tell me I’ve missed the sarcasm filter?
Please?

Elegran Fri 08-Nov-19 13:55:11

Antepenultimate sentence should have been penultimate.

(That is, "Now you know as much as anyone else does (not much)" should be just before "God knows . " )

Elegran Fri 08-Nov-19 13:49:18

Rufus Neighhhhh.

I don't know whether transmania has reached Oz yet, but here we turn to topics like this as light relief from contemplating Brexit.

No-one can totally explain the in-out for you, because it is not explainable.

The nearest I can come to it is to say that there has always been an smallish undercurrent among some of the population against being a part of the EU - or as the exiters would call it "subjugated to Europe".

Then a couple of joky chancers saw a way to get a reputation for "making Britain great again" by turning leaving into a cause celebre and managed to persuade the then PM to hold a referendum - which he thought would end in a resounding "Let's stay" so the whole thing took place without adequate preparation of the government or the electorate.

Somehow this got linked to dissatisfaction with things in the Uk, (I do wonder whether Comrade Putin had a finger in that pie) and using some half-truths, some media manipulation, and some devious marketing the proposal achieved a surprise "yes" by going off at half-cock.

So less than half the country wants out, more than half wants in, - at least that is what SOME of the polls say. The current situation is that we have yet another extension until January to sort out a deal acceptable to all, which (basically) doesn't condemn Ireland to civil unrest or civil war.

Bozo thinks he will get a majority in the Dec 1st election and push through his "stuff Ireland" deal.

Corbyn thinks he will get the majority and start from scratch carving a new deal.

Now you know as much as anyone else does (not much)

Jo Swinson thinks she will get the majority and get Parliament to pass legislation to revoke article 50 and cancel leaving altogether.

God knows what will happen, and, as my mother used to say, He won't tell us his plans.

Rufus2 Fri 08-Nov-19 13:45:05

distract myself with other topics such as this
Far North: And so you should, although topics such as this would drive me to distraction! hmm
Perhaps we'll find enlightenment about "the deal" on the "News and Politics" thread.
As you know, voting is compulsory here, so it behoves us to take an interest. That's why PMs can have a short shelf life! grin
OoRoo poppy poppy poppy

Bridgeit Fri 08-Nov-19 13:40:08

It does deny me if I wish to attend an event & wish the audience to be addressed as ladies & gentleman or guys & girls why not add a terminology instead of taking one away
Ie ,welcome Ladies & Gentleman , self identifiers , non identifiers etc etc, .......... there are people starving & homeless in the world, that is an offence against humanity !

Summerlove Fri 08-Nov-19 11:35:47

How about sticking up for the many, not the few.

What?! Seriously, what?!

It is ironic that those who are seeking equality in every dimension are in fact denying the rights of others by insisting that every thing is equal when it is not , nor can it ever be.

Removing the phrase ladies and gentlemen denies you nothing. Absolutely nothing.

trisher Fri 08-Nov-19 11:13:22

Sorry can't help hearing that term without imagining Frankie Howerd- "Ladies and Gentlemen " !

FarNorth Fri 08-Nov-19 10:55:16

Rufus2, I have no idea what's going on with brexit and I suspect Boris hasn't any idea either.
In the meantime, I distract myself with other topics such as this one.

henetha Fri 08-Nov-19 10:49:59

I don't think it's a good idea to turn every subject into yet more stuff about brexit.

Rufus2 Fri 08-Nov-19 10:38:37

Why don't 0.04% of the population accept that 99.6% don't think as they do?
Elegran; Has it ever crossed your mind that the 0.04% are free-thinkers with superiority complexes and no wish to join the lemmings?
I'd respectfully suggest that you all drop this trivial pursuit and concentrate on explaining for my benefit and others here, what this Brexit "deal or no deal" is all about.
Nothing beats hearing it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. grin
Cheers poppy poppy poppy

FarNorth Fri 08-Nov-19 10:36:07

You're right, Bridgeit.

123kitty Fri 08-Nov-19 10:09:09

Absolutely agree Summerlove.

Bridgeit Fri 08-Nov-19 09:11:22

It is ironic that those who are seeking equality in every dimension are in fact denying the rights of others by insisting that every thing is equal when it is not , nor can it ever be.

We only have to look around the world to see that, to focus all ones time & energy fighting a cause about how we address each other seems to me a bit of a cop out, when there are so many inequalities that deserve our input ,time & attention.

maddyone Fri 08-Nov-19 09:06:07

Brilliant Elegran.
I like Ladies and Gentlemen, it sounds polite. No need to change the language got a tiny number of people. How about sticking up for the many, not the few.

narrowboatnan Fri 08-Nov-19 08:02:46

Elegran wins the prize for best answer! That's hilarious! Thanks for my morning chuckle!

annep1 Fri 08-Nov-19 05:21:49

What a shame. I like "Ladies and Gentlemen" ?

Elegranhilarious!
Bluebelle ?

FarNorth Thu 07-Nov-19 23:49:20

I'd be more concerned about the gender-neutral (mixed-sex) toilets that the theatre is likely to have.
Also for the benefit of the miniscule minority plus, of course, all the noisy self-defining / non-binary bunch.

Summerlove Thu 07-Nov-19 23:28:39

Most do
Hence your low stat.

I just don’t see how removing “ladies and gentlemen” from please take your seats is such an issue. Using “please take your seats” isn’t rude, it’s just not what you’re used to. But if it makes a marginalized population feel seen, where is the harm? It certainly doesn’t hurt us.

I just can’t understand arguing change just to argue it.

FarNorth Thu 07-Nov-19 20:35:37

Good points, Tigertooth.

Elegran Thu 07-Nov-19 20:32:51

That cuts both ways, Summerlove Why don't 0.04% of the population accept that 99.6% don't think as they do?