Gransnet forums

Chat

Pets

(39 Posts)
Mickyboy67 Fri 15-Nov-19 12:58:40

Moving to my own apartment soon, thinking of getting cat/dog small one, but not puppy or kitten, mainly company and mobility issues, had 3 strokes but been reading that having a pet helps any advice.

Juliet27 Sat 16-Nov-19 17:54:33

So sorry to hear of such a recent loss polnan. I’m not surprised you’re feeling physically affected by the shock but hopefully you’ll gradually feel stronger. ??

red1 Sat 16-Nov-19 18:00:15

last year I lost my 16 year old whippet,it broke my heart,Im 64 and to date would not get another pet.Why, because they tie you down,the vets bills, if they get ill and need nursing,would you have the energy to cope. Dogs give unconditional love,I don't think I would want to face that level of grief again.What would happen if your health deteriorated,what would happen to the pet? there is nothing sadder than a heartbroken older pet.
They are great company but I feel they come with a huge responsibility.

Jabberwok Sat 16-Nov-19 18:11:52

I think that before having a pet when you are older, it is best to have a plan B just in case things go wrong. For us, our daughter would gladly take on our dog should the worst happen! Cats of course are of course more able to care for themselves, and make wonderful affectionate pets, but even they cannot be completely abandoned!

Nanna58 Sat 16-Nov-19 18:29:57

Can I also cha mpion older retired greyhounds? I have had 7, laziest( but loveliest!) animals in the world! If insurance/ vets bills can be covered, I don’t see why older people with health issues shouldn’t enjoy the many, many benefits of a pet especially those as loving and trouble free as the greyhound.

Classic Sun 17-Nov-19 05:44:37

Even little dogs need to be walked early in morning and late at night, plus a couple of times a day on top. Some cats will always want to go outside and become escape artists, others are happy to never go out. For mobility problems, cat food dishes and litter trays can be put on a table, ( not your kitchen or dinner table) cats will jump up to where they need to be. Amazon delivers food and litter, and litter tray liners that can be lifted out and put straight into a small bin bag with tie handles, then into household waste bin. When I walk my dog I meet and talk to so many people, same time and place, you get chatting as dogs will always want to stop and sniff bottoms. You can get a long handled pooper scooper that you set up with a plastic bag, though it takes practice to perfect. Same with dog bowls, dog will climb up to a table to eat, and dogs can be trained to go to toilet in a raised flower /veg type bed. Ideal if you are in a wheelchair, and you can always have a small seat next to it so you can reach poop without bending over too much. I love my dog to bits, the love she gives me is incredible and worth every penny of vets Bill's etc.

Mamma66 Mon 18-Nov-19 09:05:42

Get a Greyhound, I know it sounds crazy because people think they need a lot of exercise, but actually they are super lazy coach potatoes. They are also gentle souls (unless you’re a small furry) they don’t pull, and don’t bark as a rule. They are also lovable, quirky, hilarious little weirdos and the biggest love sponges on the planet.

I have a Lurcher (Greyhound Deerhound cross) and he is the most gentle loving soul, but with Lurchers the cross determines the disposition, so you could end up with something bouncy. Greyhounds are such beautiful souls, one thing they are not always comfortable with stairs. They are also utterly addictive, I would have a houseful but the hubby would divorce me ?

Alexa Mon 18-Nov-19 10:02:45

If you are even slightly ill and have no energy for going out, how are you going to let your dog or cat out in the well fenced garden?

Also as Annodomini says you have to be able to pick up and dispose of the animal's dung.

FlexibleFriend Mon 18-Nov-19 10:07:31

Tbh Dog lovers will put the dog first and no matter how shit they feel they will always make sure the dog is fed and watered and let out to go to the toilet. I would get off my death bed for my dogs as I'm sure most of us would.

sodapop Mon 18-Nov-19 12:16:22

You are so right Flexiblefriend

Alexa Mon 18-Nov-19 16:57:23

Flexible Friend, with the best will in the world if you are bedridden you can't let the dog out in the back garden . My point is an apartment is unsuitable for a dog.

Even if an apartment is ground floor and has shared grounds other people who share the grounds are unlikely to want to share the garden with an unattended dog.

Alexa Mon 18-Nov-19 17:00:38

mickeyboy wrote he's moving to an apartment. I take it this is a flat. No reputable rescue will rehome a greyhound or any other dog to a flat without its own garden

FlexibleFriend Mon 18-Nov-19 18:44:49

The OP has never said he's bedridden. Your point is an apartment is unsuitable for a dog, well say that then don't assume the OP is going to be bedridden just because he's had a few strokes and suffers with arthritis, that's quite a leap. The dog could be let out to toilet on a flexi lead so wouldn't be unattended. Lots of elderly flat dwellers manage their dogs needs just fine and no doubt remain healthier than if living without a loving canine companion. Fwiw I managed to attend to my dogs needs while having a stroke and waiting for a ambulance to cart me off to hospital. I also managed to arrange for my son to go to mine and look after the dogs in my absence.
I wouldn't recommend a greyhound but that's personal preference.

TwiceAsNice Mon 18-Nov-19 19:32:49

I have a lovely rescue cat. I live in a flat, cat is predominantly a house cat but likes a walk / sunbathe on the balcony when the weather is nice. So affectionate , great company . I have food / litter delivered , no problems all good. I wouldn’t have a dog in a flat but then I’m not really a dog lover anyway