Gransnet forums

Chat

Pets

(39 Posts)
Mickyboy67 Fri 15-Nov-19 12:58:40

Moving to my own apartment soon, thinking of getting cat/dog small one, but not puppy or kitten, mainly company and mobility issues, had 3 strokes but been reading that having a pet helps any advice.

TwiceAsNice Mon 18-Nov-19 19:32:49

I have a lovely rescue cat. I live in a flat, cat is predominantly a house cat but likes a walk / sunbathe on the balcony when the weather is nice. So affectionate , great company . I have food / litter delivered , no problems all good. I wouldn’t have a dog in a flat but then I’m not really a dog lover anyway

FlexibleFriend Mon 18-Nov-19 18:44:49

The OP has never said he's bedridden. Your point is an apartment is unsuitable for a dog, well say that then don't assume the OP is going to be bedridden just because he's had a few strokes and suffers with arthritis, that's quite a leap. The dog could be let out to toilet on a flexi lead so wouldn't be unattended. Lots of elderly flat dwellers manage their dogs needs just fine and no doubt remain healthier than if living without a loving canine companion. Fwiw I managed to attend to my dogs needs while having a stroke and waiting for a ambulance to cart me off to hospital. I also managed to arrange for my son to go to mine and look after the dogs in my absence.
I wouldn't recommend a greyhound but that's personal preference.

Alexa Mon 18-Nov-19 17:00:38

mickeyboy wrote he's moving to an apartment. I take it this is a flat. No reputable rescue will rehome a greyhound or any other dog to a flat without its own garden

Alexa Mon 18-Nov-19 16:57:23

Flexible Friend, with the best will in the world if you are bedridden you can't let the dog out in the back garden . My point is an apartment is unsuitable for a dog.

Even if an apartment is ground floor and has shared grounds other people who share the grounds are unlikely to want to share the garden with an unattended dog.

sodapop Mon 18-Nov-19 12:16:22

You are so right Flexiblefriend

FlexibleFriend Mon 18-Nov-19 10:07:31

Tbh Dog lovers will put the dog first and no matter how shit they feel they will always make sure the dog is fed and watered and let out to go to the toilet. I would get off my death bed for my dogs as I'm sure most of us would.

Alexa Mon 18-Nov-19 10:02:45

If you are even slightly ill and have no energy for going out, how are you going to let your dog or cat out in the well fenced garden?

Also as Annodomini says you have to be able to pick up and dispose of the animal's dung.

Mamma66 Mon 18-Nov-19 09:05:42

Get a Greyhound, I know it sounds crazy because people think they need a lot of exercise, but actually they are super lazy coach potatoes. They are also gentle souls (unless you’re a small furry) they don’t pull, and don’t bark as a rule. They are also lovable, quirky, hilarious little weirdos and the biggest love sponges on the planet.

I have a Lurcher (Greyhound Deerhound cross) and he is the most gentle loving soul, but with Lurchers the cross determines the disposition, so you could end up with something bouncy. Greyhounds are such beautiful souls, one thing they are not always comfortable with stairs. They are also utterly addictive, I would have a houseful but the hubby would divorce me ?

Classic Sun 17-Nov-19 05:44:37

Even little dogs need to be walked early in morning and late at night, plus a couple of times a day on top. Some cats will always want to go outside and become escape artists, others are happy to never go out. For mobility problems, cat food dishes and litter trays can be put on a table, ( not your kitchen or dinner table) cats will jump up to where they need to be. Amazon delivers food and litter, and litter tray liners that can be lifted out and put straight into a small bin bag with tie handles, then into household waste bin. When I walk my dog I meet and talk to so many people, same time and place, you get chatting as dogs will always want to stop and sniff bottoms. You can get a long handled pooper scooper that you set up with a plastic bag, though it takes practice to perfect. Same with dog bowls, dog will climb up to a table to eat, and dogs can be trained to go to toilet in a raised flower /veg type bed. Ideal if you are in a wheelchair, and you can always have a small seat next to it so you can reach poop without bending over too much. I love my dog to bits, the love she gives me is incredible and worth every penny of vets Bill's etc.

Nanna58 Sat 16-Nov-19 18:29:57

Can I also cha mpion older retired greyhounds? I have had 7, laziest( but loveliest!) animals in the world! If insurance/ vets bills can be covered, I don’t see why older people with health issues shouldn’t enjoy the many, many benefits of a pet especially those as loving and trouble free as the greyhound.

Jabberwok Sat 16-Nov-19 18:11:52

I think that before having a pet when you are older, it is best to have a plan B just in case things go wrong. For us, our daughter would gladly take on our dog should the worst happen! Cats of course are of course more able to care for themselves, and make wonderful affectionate pets, but even they cannot be completely abandoned!

red1 Sat 16-Nov-19 18:00:15

last year I lost my 16 year old whippet,it broke my heart,Im 64 and to date would not get another pet.Why, because they tie you down,the vets bills, if they get ill and need nursing,would you have the energy to cope. Dogs give unconditional love,I don't think I would want to face that level of grief again.What would happen if your health deteriorated,what would happen to the pet? there is nothing sadder than a heartbroken older pet.
They are great company but I feel they come with a huge responsibility.

Juliet27 Sat 16-Nov-19 17:54:33

So sorry to hear of such a recent loss polnan. I’m not surprised you’re feeling physically affected by the shock but hopefully you’ll gradually feel stronger. ??

polnan Sat 16-Nov-19 16:45:43

I am 83, dh just died, we always had dogs and cats
my beloved Sheltie died 2 years ago, I still miss her terribly.
I am in good health for my age, no mobility problems, HOWEVER since dh died just a few days ago... oh my I am so ...... phew!
we got a rescue cat, kitten just after my Sheltie dies, ie. 2 years ago, I keep her in at night, litter tray, and now , as I am so shocked by dh death, I am finding it harder to bend, actually I had a bad fall day after her died, out on my walkies, (alone) and I think that has caused physical aches...

so I don`t know how I manage to exist without dog, my cat is wonderful company though

we have our own house, small garden, went to 2/3 rescue dog places after our Sheltie died, got vetted, approved

heard nothing since!!! so I reckon I am not meant to have a dog..

I think I would shrivel up and die without my cat.

we are all different after all.

annodomini Sat 16-Nov-19 16:16:04

having it having to. Can't imagine a dog filling its own poo bag,

annodomini Sat 16-Nov-19 16:14:35

It's not only a matter of having to exercise a dog. You need to think about having it clear up its excrement. Not an enticing prospect even if you were fully mobile.

sodapop Sat 16-Nov-19 15:59:11

Lots of good advice here Mickeyboy67. Ensure you are allowed a pet in your apartment.
Small dogs do not necessarily need less exercise than a larger breed. Cats are better if you have mobility issues.
Do think carefully before getting a pet, they can be expensive, messy and a tie. They do give you love and a great deal of pleasure though.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Nov-19 15:46:36

Does it need to be a cat or dog? What about a budgie or canary? Different sort of company, but less needful of exercise, inexpensive, but still a lovely pet.

CBBL Sat 16-Nov-19 15:43:22

My hubby and I are no longer able to regularly walk a dog, even though we would love one. If you opt for a Cat - Cat's Protection offer a "Cat Guardians" service which is designed to take care of your cat when you are no longer there to do so. They will collect and re-home your cat or cats. Obviously, you need to notify friends and family that you have signed up to this service (you get a confirmation document), but it offers peace of mind. There is no charge for this, but reference is made to the fact that many people leave a bequest in their Will to Cat's Protection League (a registered Charity).

nipsmum Sat 16-Nov-19 15:40:34

I am quite elderly and have had a West Highland terrier for the past 4 years. She is now aged 10 and was a breeding dog before I got her from Westie rescue. I had lived in this bungalow for 10 years before she came to me and spoke to only my immediate neighbours and knew very few other people in your the area. Since Tilly came to me we go out 3 times each day, we meet other dog walkers , students, school children, and we speak to people every time we leave the house. My daughter and family live 3 miles away and before I got the dog they agreed that they would look after her if I needed it. I have now adopted another one also from Westie rescue and she goes and stays with the family every weekend. I hate to think how lonely I would be without my canine companions. They keep me alert, active and give so much love for the care they need. If you are an animal person I would advise anyone to think seriously about rescuing an older dog from the many centres around the country. These small dogs are worth their weight in gold to me.

FlexibleFriend Sat 16-Nov-19 15:03:47

Supermarkets sell and deliver cat litter along with the rest of your shopping.

GinJeannie Sat 16-Nov-19 14:43:30

Pet shop to deliver cat litter........Iceland frozen food shop also sell cat litter and do home deliveries same as bigger supermarkets. I think the minimum spend there is £30.

Madmaggie Sat 16-Nov-19 14:28:08

Rescue older greyhounds are real couch potatoes. Some rescue groups have a foster system and they can be with you for long or short times. My mil always had rescue dogs and she said that early morning walk kept her young and greatly helped her generally. Her last dog was an old boy of unknown parentage, he died of old age and she was late 70s and she really missed having a dog around.

Chardy Sat 16-Nov-19 13:20:05

My DGD has her first kitten, a house cat, which was house trained when she got it. Cat litter and food are delivered, though getting rid of lightweight cat litter can be an issue if bins are long way from door. DGD's cat is very cuddly.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 16-Nov-19 12:48:33

I too would suggest an older cat that had been living in a flat previously, rather than a dog. Unless, of course, you want a good reason to go out twice a day. You will meet and chat to more people when walking a dog than you ever will because you have an indoor cat.

However, do consider who would be willing to look after your cat, if you are able to go away for holidays and leave clear instructions as to what is to happen to the animal if you have to go into hospital at some point, or residential care. My will gives my son absolute power to decide what to do with any pets I may have when I die.

Check vet's fees in advance and decide whether you want insurance to cover those.

An indoor cat needs cat litter, which is heavy to cart home from the shops and you need to ascertain whether you are allowed to dispose of the used litter as household waste.

Please do not put it down the toilet, even the brands that are specifically stated to be fully flushable have been known to cause trouble blocking toilets!

Find out if any pet shop is willing to deliver cat litter to your flat.

I hope you do get a pet - their company and affection is invaluable.