Gransnet forums

Chat

TV Licence scam

(45 Posts)
H1954 Thu 05-Dec-19 07:25:01

I was not sure which topic to put this under but here goes; I have received three separate emails in less than two weeks informing me that my direct debit could not be taken in payment of our TV licence. I know this is a scam because
a) my direct debit has been actioned b) the date quoted on the email is "Americanised" (month, day, year) and b) it was in my Junk Mailbox.

I have certainly not acted on it other than forwarded it onto the TV Licencing authority and then deleting it but I wondered if anyone else has had the same email. It is worrying to think anyone might be taken in as it looks so plausible tbh apart from the date format. I have no idea who else I need to report this to either.

Foxyferret Thu 05-Dec-19 15:34:51

HMRC informed me they never send emails, they always write to you so all HMRC emails are fake.

Angelwhisper Thu 05-Dec-19 16:14:04

Yes got this email, deleted straight away.

Bugbabe2019 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:31:30

Yes also from Apple and Netflix

LuckyFour Thu 05-Dec-19 16:55:23

I had an email from HMRC saying I was due a tax rebate. I followed it through and filled in the details. Believe it or not my £106 arrived in my account two days later. My DH didn't fill his form in but he received his rebate two weeks later by cheque. All above board, thankfully.

lindiann Thu 05-Dec-19 17:01:55

I keep getting phone calls from an automated caller saying that my Amazon Prime is going to be renewed and if I don't want this call this number. I have not got Prime and blocked number then they called me on a different number. Also delivery emails when I have not placed an order lol!!!

sandelf Thu 05-Dec-19 17:05:56

Info about www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ288

Solonge Thu 05-Dec-19 17:22:56

I work for landed gentry and we have a lot of scam phone calls. One last week was from an Indian sounding 'gentleman'. He asked to speak to Mrs Lady **** a bit of a giveaway, I asked who he was and he answered HMRC. I told him he couldn't speak to the Countess, he asked why and I replied because he was not HMRC and the call was a scam. He told me I would be arrested and go to prison...he actually shouted that. I laughed and said I was sure he would be in prison long before me and he slammed the phone down. I quite enjoy these calls...entertainment on tap!

RustyBear Thu 05-Dec-19 17:28:23

It’s not true that HMRC never send you emails- they do if you are registered to do your tax online. But the emails they send normally just tell you to log in to your account to get the message, not to click a link.
I have downloaded the HMRC app and last time I logged in I checked my last tax year and did actually have a refund due. I claimed it via the app and had the money in my bank next day, instead of waiting up to three months.
But in my case (a) I was already registered online and they had my bank details already and (b) I knew I was likely to be due a refund. I would really recommend using the app, it’s very easy and I feel safer doing finance stuff on my iPad than on a PC.
But do make sure you do the initial registration on HMRC’s legitimate website that you get to by putting the address in the browser yourself, not following a link!

allule Thu 05-Dec-19 17:37:20

After slamming the phone down, for the umpteenth time, on calls purporting to be from BT and Amazon, I wondered how these various firms do manage to make contact with their customers?

CBBL Thu 05-Dec-19 17:53:32

Me too! had both TV Licence ones and HMRC. In both cases, I checked to make sure that I definitely HAD paid the Direct Debit for the TV Licence, but then contacted them to point out the possible error. They confirmed the scam email. In the case of HMRC, I had already heard that this scam was "doing the rounds" and sent it off to HMRC using the regular address. Again, they confirmed the scam. Sadly, some people do still "click" on the link. We must try to keep family and friends aware of these issues, in order to confound the criminals.

Caro57 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:14:53

We have had these too. Today we had a Christmas cold call telling us we had been Mis sold solar panels and were entitled to a refund - there are some nasty people out there..........that’s as polite as I can manage!!

millymouge Thu 05-Dec-19 20:12:01

I received a message on my mobile phone saying that for some reason my supplier was not able to take my DD monthly payment for my phone. They just needed me to re register all my bank details. When you looked at the message it looked so genuine. Obviously I didn’t do anything and when next in town popped into my phone supplier who confirmed it was a scam. They seem to be everywhere these days what will they think of next, you need to be so careful.

Pixxie7 Thu 05-Dec-19 20:19:24

Yep have had several.

FarawayGran Thu 05-Dec-19 22:17:50

Watch out for the one like I got from my "mobile phone " account. They said they couldn't process my payment as there was a problem with my card. And so as to not incur extra expense, to enter my card details again. I ignored it but I read in our local paper that it has caught a lot of people out - they have had lost thousands taken from their accounts.

Foxyferret Thu 05-Dec-19 22:45:38

Sorry rusty
bear, it’s just that when I phoned HMRC this is what they told me. They obviously do email some people.

sylviann Fri 06-Dec-19 05:51:50

I've had several scam calls saying my Amazon Prime is due to be renewed for £39:99 they can't even get the price correct

Madbird37 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:06:43

They are the most annoying email to receive and I have also received texts lately as well saying I have won a prize or my order at Tesco is ready for collection and all I need to do is click on the link below. I always delete these as to stop you have to text to a different link.

I received an email saying I was entitled to a tax rebate after I retired and I went to the HMRC web site set up an account and received money into my account 5 days later.

The difference between real v scam is the real HRMC don't ask for bank details until you have set up a secure account. Haven't received TV licence one thanks for the heads up on that one.

ayse Wed 02-Sep-20 08:42:25

TV License scam received today. They must be doing the rounds again

Katek Wed 02-Sep-20 10:36:26

There’s also one from DVLA looking for payment to ensure my driving license isn’t cancelled! This morning I received a text from my mobile provider saying they couldn’t process my payment so could I update my details. Er......no! There must be a lot of people who are taken in by these scams or it wouldn’t be worth their while doing it.