Gransnet forums

Chat

Going grey, how to do it with style!

(43 Posts)
Semiruralgirl Wed 22-Jan-20 14:38:00

I am in my late 70s, I am going grey, having been very dark haired when young. I’ve been having my hair streaked, coloured etc for quite a few years and now I feel I should ‘bite the bullet’ and go for grey. Some women have the most beautiful grey or white hair, very strong colouring and they look great. I have my father’s hair, quite fine and the colour is a faded grey and I have white rather frizzy sideboards which irritate me - I have curly to wavy hair which I always straighten. I know it’s important to have a really good haircut, but has anyone any good ideas about how to overcome the ‘faded’ look without resorting to colouring my hair again? The faded look tends to take colour and contrast away from my face.

DoraMarr Wed 22-Jan-20 15:36:20

I use a blue shampoo about once a week-it takes away any yellow tones and makes white and great hair look shiny and sort of crisp. There are lots out there, I tend to use Bleach London ( I get it in Boots.) I’ve heard good things about White Hot and Glorious too. Aveda blue malva smells lovely, but is expensive- you can sometimes get it on offer. I found I had to change the colour of my makeup too- a good makeup counter in a big store will be able to advise. The bonus for me is that I seem to be able to wear a wider range of colours in my clothes!

Grandad1943 Wed 22-Jan-20 16:05:46

The best way to go grey with style is to just let it go grey.

It is all just part of the ageing process which should be taken in the stride of anyone and not stressed of fretted in regard to.

Just age gracefully, for in that ageing there are many benefits to be found if allowed to come to the fore.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Jan-20 16:44:00

I am considering having grey highlights instead of light ones to transition slowly but without the "grey roots".

kittylester Wed 22-Jan-20 17:04:55

Grandad gringrin

OP your hair sounds like mine. If I didnt have highlights, I'd look as though I was wearing a very grey mouse.

Baggs Wed 22-Jan-20 17:10:08

I'm doing it with style, my style, by just letting it get on with it and no interference from me. Seems to be working fine. As for fading... well, yes, one is. Shrug.

<Waves to grandad1943> ?

Jabberwok Wed 22-Jan-20 17:50:04

I think a smart hair cut or style is helpful, but as for colour? Well, let nature take its course! Far better than a young colour on a less than young face!!

mumofmadboys Wed 22-Jan-20 17:53:50

I have never coloured my hair and I am now fairly grey. I used to have lovely auburn hair.

Grammaretto Wed 22-Jan-20 18:03:39

I used to fear going grey but when my DC began to whiten, I realised I would have accept it gracefully. I like to think my hair is in reasonable condition because I have never dyed or bleached it. I do have it cut by a good hairdresser.

We are a long time grey though, so I have nothing against others brightening themselves - if they can afford to.

I once wore a purple wig to a fancy dress party and I was chatted up! so perhaps grey hair is ageing. Certainly our young French student thought a woman we know who has dyed blonde hair was a lot younger than me. The cheek of it!! grin

MawB Wed 22-Jan-20 20:10:52

Three stages-starting with a good cut, highlights and lowlights, bleach out remaining colour, ash highlights and let nature take its course.

kittylester Wed 22-Jan-20 20:50:31

You look lovely maw. On the other hand, I'd look terrible!

Doodle Wed 22-Jan-20 20:57:10

maw what a lovely photo. You look so nice.?

M0nica Wed 22-Jan-20 21:12:18

I have said it before and will again, it all depends on how your hair grows grey. My family has a gene for not going grey. I, like a number of my cousins, have got well into our 60s before our hair starts greying. I am in my mid-70s now and still predominantly my original colour.

Unfortunately when we do go grey, we develop a ring of grey or white hair round the edge, while the crown of the hair stays dark and quite frankly, it is not a good look, like a brunette angel whose halo has been rammed round their ears.

I am resigned to colouring my hair for the rest of my life. Now, I colour my hair to match the predominant brown colour and later when I am mainly grey, I will be bleaching the brunette hair on the crown of my head to match the grey/white.

One of my uncle's died at the age of 85, the recent photo of him on the funeral service sheet, showed him mainly white haired with a dark brown patch of hair on the top of his head. Even on a man, it was not a good look.

Grammaretto Wed 22-Jan-20 23:48:22

Those photos are lovely Maw! You have pretty hair and a bonnie face.

I took a photo for my passport recently and on receipt I was asked "are you sure you want to use this photo?" I wanted to answer "no, please give me a better one"

JackyB Thu 23-Jan-20 09:25:38

I have dark streaks (my original colour) put into my grey hair, and I am trying to persuade my hairdresser to gradually reduce them so I will eventually be the natural colour (and my hairdresser's bills won't cost so much).

If you have pale skin, you have to then do something to prevent an overall insipid look. Or even anaemic. So, like Maw, you could go for glasses with strongly defined frames, or even brightly coloured ones, like Prue Leith.

Strong pinks, turquoises or emerald blouses and/or scarves.

Hats in bright colours, if you dare.

Striking lipstick colours.

If you have darker or tanned skin, then that's no problem with grey hair - can look great even without makeup.

A good haircut is the best start, though. Ask your hairdresser for ideas.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Jan-20 09:30:06

My neighbour's daughter (in her 30s) has her hair dyed the exact same blonde/silver/grey that I have naturally! I need blusher these days, though - to avoid the 'living dead' look!

Gingergirl Thu 23-Jan-20 10:09:45

I would go to a very good hairdressers and take advice. It may be that you need to have it coloured the grey tone that you like for a little while, and wait for all of your hair to ‘catch up’. This would take less time if it was short...and maybe look better with a shorter and sharper cut for the time being. I don’t speak from experience though! My hair is shoulder length and I colour it myself, quite a few shades lighter than it was when I was young. This tones in with the stage my hair is at...and when it grows through really grey, I think I’ll do what I’m suggesting here. I agree with you- beautiful grey hair can look gorgeous!

EllieB52 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:20:57

I’m seriously considering going grey too. The thing that has put me off is my really pale skin colour. I suppose if it wasn’t successful it’s quite easy to colour it again.

Jans3 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:28:16

I think grey hair is lovely if it’s an all over colour. Mine is horrible salt and pepper, so until I get a good grey shade I’m going to have to colour it. I have started having a few highlights put in, as this tones in the greys and I think looks quite natural

frenchie3 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:37:06

You look so elegant Maw.

GrandmaMoira Thu 23-Jan-20 10:37:20

I used a semi permanent colour for years moving from mid brown to light brown. About six months ago I decided to stop colouring in the hope my hair would be white like my younger brother - I would like hair like MawB! Sadly, I am salt'n'pepper but really don't know what shade colour would suit now. My hairdresser wants to do highlights and lowlights which for me would look very false.
My skin tone has lightened a lot but don't feel faded as others say though I don't feel that the strong colours I used to wear suit any more.

NemosMum Thu 23-Jan-20 10:39:34

Love Maw's pics! I had a jaw-length blonde layered bob. My natural colour was light brown/dark blonde, but I'd highlighted for decades. I went to a Gransnet get-together in Edinburgh and met a very stylish Gransnetter who was growing out her longish bob and letting the grey in, so decided to do the same. 7 months later, things were going well, but slowly and I felt impatient and almost succumbed to having it coloured again. Be careful what you wish for! I was diagnosed with breast cancer and lost all of it. I had chemo for 6 months, and it took another 3 for the hair to grow back. I have kept a very short style and the colour is great. Wouldn't go back to colouring now. I hesitate to think how much I have spent on highlights and lowlights over the years!

Wilma65 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:41:56

Have it dyed grey and a good cut

Riggie Thu 23-Jan-20 10:53:44

Dont forget to re-evaluate your wardrobe.

I now look dreadful in some of the colours I used to wear!! So those things are now relegated to days at home or worn under other brighter things.

annab275 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:21:19

I got fed up with dying mine, so have just let it do its own thing. I wear brighter lipstick now. People have asked me if I have had my hair done at the hairdressers. I am not fully grey, brunette with grey strands - is that salt and pepper? I found a great style icon, Linda V Wright, who looks fab, I think. Older than me but wears jeans with panache. I think you have to think of yourself as a whole person, not just focus on the hair.