Gransnet forums

Chat

Going grey, how to do it with style!

(44 Posts)
Semiruralgirl Wed 22-Jan-20 14:38:00

I am in my late 70s, I am going grey, having been very dark haired when young. I’ve been having my hair streaked, coloured etc for quite a few years and now I feel I should ‘bite the bullet’ and go for grey. Some women have the most beautiful grey or white hair, very strong colouring and they look great. I have my father’s hair, quite fine and the colour is a faded grey and I have white rather frizzy sideboards which irritate me - I have curly to wavy hair which I always straighten. I know it’s important to have a really good haircut, but has anyone any good ideas about how to overcome the ‘faded’ look without resorting to colouring my hair again? The faded look tends to take colour and contrast away from my face.

Blondiescot Sat 25-Jan-20 16:14:31

Mine's always been blonde (hence the name, lol!) but just recently I got a bit fed up and I've had it pastel pink and now I've gone purple/lilac.

3dognight Fri 24-Jan-20 16:43:52

Daisy boots, your hair looks just fine , are you going to keep it short, or have it abit longer and layered? Maw you look very stylish, and have a great book collection I notice!
I started seeing grey in mine at age eighteen, and dyed it for years. Stopped dying it about five or six years ago, kept it cropped short ala Judy dench. It took me a long time to come to terms with it, and with other people's so called advice not to 'let myself go' and keep dying it.
These days having found the right colours to wear, with a little bit of tinted moisturiser, blusher and mascara so I don't look washed out, I find I am quite proud and happy to have a full head of very white hair, I am even trying to grow it to shoulder length.
My sixteen year old gd said last night that she would like hers dyed my colour, so ladies, go grey with pride!

Daisyboots Thu 23-Jan-20 22:22:50

About four years ago I decided to let my hair go to it's natural colour and used lighter and lighter dyes until it was white all over. Then last summer I lost all my hair through chemotherapy. It has now started growing again and is still white but very tight curls as though I have had an old fashioned perm. I looked in the mirror and could see my mother's eldest sister looking back at me

Daisyboots Thu 23-Jan-20 22:04:51

MawB you look fab and strangely just as I imagined you.

Kim19 Thu 23-Jan-20 19:41:42

Had streaks put in to complement my auburn starting to whiten mop. Gradually increased the ratio of colouring with what nature was doing. Now completely sharp white and love the result. Very few visits to the hairdresser nowadays.

cathieb Thu 23-Jan-20 18:02:18

I finally gradually stopped having my hair coloured and let it go white. It is VERY white, also very fine as was my mother's, and though I was surprised to find that I quite liked it, I was shocked by glimpses of myself in shop windows looking like a pale blob. After discussions at my hairdresser I've just had ash grey lowlights put in in two stages - a bit darker the second time - and I absolutely love it. The low lights give it texture and are very different from the flat colour of a permanent dye. I don't think it'll be too much of a problem as it grows and I plan to have it topped up every few months. Yes, the 'foils' are quite expensive, but I feel like I've got an identity back!

Merryweather Thu 23-Jan-20 17:49:36

My mom has done exactly the same as you Maw. She was a mahogany colour naturally and dyed it for years that colour. She's now virtually natural with a tone of a light ash interwoven and like you it looks amazing! It's not a permanent colour but as she needs her hair (thatch) trimmed every 6 weeks it's regularly touched up.
I think going over slowly saved her of that initial shock and washed out look.
I'm ginger and so far only have the odd strand here and there at almost 40. Maybe the arrival of baby number three due in seven weeks will send me to the grey side! I'm very pale and freckled, I don't think long grey curls would 'do' anything for me except make me look ghostly.
Anyone else with ginger/ auburn hair? What is your experience of greying may I ask please?
Thanks x

twinnytwin Thu 23-Jan-20 17:37:27

I would probably consider growing the grey/white out after having short blond hair for years and years. However, my identical twin sister refuses to do the same so I dare not do it. Grey hair can look lovely but can be quite ageing, so I'll continue to be a blonde. My husband colours my hair for me - just the roots. It used to be every 3 weeks to cover the dark, but now it can be every couple of months as the white grows through.

Shizam Thu 23-Jan-20 17:27:21

I embraced the grey couple of years ago. Growing out the dye was a bore. But it now looks so much better than before. It’s bouncier, shinier and it’s liberating not to colour it every few weeks. I use a purple conditioner, which is expensive but brings out the silver very well. Go for it!

CBBL Thu 23-Jan-20 17:22:11

I'm in a similar position to the original poster, in that I have very fine hair and unlike MOnica - my hair tends to be dark at the front and around the edges, while the crown is grey! This doesn't look good either! I look like an odd sort of Monk! I've been keeping my hair short since my 40's - (now 72) and getting a good haircut is quite difficult as I live in a very rural area. Yes, there are hairdressers in my nearest town, but we go there once a week for shopping and I feel that I'm putting my hubby out when I ask him to take me to town. He also has to pick my up again afterwards. There is no bus service to our village and even the town doesn't have a railway! A Taxi from our house to the town is at least £10. so that's a pretty expensive option! I cut my hair myself, mostly (one of those combs with razor blades in) and perhaps once every two months make an appointment at the hairdressers. My hubby says he is really looking forward to when my hair is all silver (probably because he won't have to take my into town and back again)!

KnittyNannie Thu 23-Jan-20 16:51:26

I’m 74 and almost two years ago, after having my hair blonde for years, I decided to let it go grey. After all, I wasn’t fooling anyone! I was already ash blonde and I then started using purple shampoo for grey hair. I found it reasonably easy to grow out because there wasn’t too much colour difference between the ash blonde and grey. I’m so pleased I did it. My hair is in much better condition now.

Rose56 Thu 23-Jan-20 15:18:19

Agree with doramarr, white hot products very good, embrace the curls as straightening will damage texture
Good hairdresser for curly hair can be hard to find
Also Charles Kingsley elasticiser once a week
Find a short pixie cut works really well
(See Judi Dench)

Bluedaisy Thu 23-Jan-20 14:40:45

Grey hair with either a toner done at a salon every 6/8 weeks is a nice treat and can refresh the grey dull look or if you prefer to do something yourself a blue/ purple shampoo left on for 5 minutes looks equally as nice. Personally I like the new pink and purple colours for grey hair. I’m fortunate that I’m 64 this year and apart from a few grey hairs which are not really noticeable I’m still blond albeit a dirty dark blonde naturally now but I have a nice full head of highlights done every 3/4 months and occasionally wash it with a purple shampoo to stop it yellowing. As long as you have a really good cut on grey hair and keep a shine on it grey hair can be quite attractive. Don’t forget to change your make up to match and clothes too.

Theoddbird Thu 23-Jan-20 13:34:51

I shampoo with a metallic silver shampoo. It really lifts my grey hair. I do leave it on for 15 minutes before washing off. Very simple to use.

lindadoughty650 Thu 23-Jan-20 13:19:58

With threads of silver sprinkling my mid-brown hair, on a whim I bought a semi-permanent dye in Punk Purple. It is great. the silver bits are a slightly lighter purple but give a lovely shine. Lots of compliments, even from strangers on the street. It fades very gradually and I can choose whether or not to re-new. I would quite like to have grey or white hair, but at 79 I have been waiting for this a long time but only a little silver to show for it, so what the heck - purple it is.

Fiachna50 Thu 23-Jan-20 13:04:07

I used to colour my hair but during menopause found I could not tolerate the dye. Grey for me it is and now, I am fine with it. It has made me look much older though. The point someone made about the wardrobe is true, though the upside for me is I can now wear colours I couldn't wear before. I find my hair texture problematic and due to a health condition I have, feel my hair is very lifeless. Im still experimenting with different shampoos and conditioners. I am glad to be done with the hassle of colouring and it has saved me a fortune. I put the money saved towards going to a decent hairdresser for a good cut. I would love to have it short, but sadly really don't suit short hair.

Bekind Thu 23-Jan-20 12:52:03

I finally bit the bullet a year ago. I, too, was dark-headed and kept coloring it lighter as I got grayer. My hairdresser just added some highlights and lowlights to my blonde and I just let it grow out! I can't tell you how happy I am and I wish I had done it much sooner.

Kartush Thu 23-Jan-20 11:30:20

I just stopped dying mine when I turned 60 now it’s white in bits, grey in bits and brownish in bits but it is what it is. Haven’t been to a hairdresser in a couple of years so it’s quite long as well. Going grey is all part of aging, just let your hair do it’s thing

annab275 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:21:19

I got fed up with dying mine, so have just let it do its own thing. I wear brighter lipstick now. People have asked me if I have had my hair done at the hairdressers. I am not fully grey, brunette with grey strands - is that salt and pepper? I found a great style icon, Linda V Wright, who looks fab, I think. Older than me but wears jeans with panache. I think you have to think of yourself as a whole person, not just focus on the hair.

Riggie Thu 23-Jan-20 10:53:44

Dont forget to re-evaluate your wardrobe.

I now look dreadful in some of the colours I used to wear!! So those things are now relegated to days at home or worn under other brighter things.

Wilma65 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:41:56

Have it dyed grey and a good cut

NemosMum Thu 23-Jan-20 10:39:34

Love Maw's pics! I had a jaw-length blonde layered bob. My natural colour was light brown/dark blonde, but I'd highlighted for decades. I went to a Gransnet get-together in Edinburgh and met a very stylish Gransnetter who was growing out her longish bob and letting the grey in, so decided to do the same. 7 months later, things were going well, but slowly and I felt impatient and almost succumbed to having it coloured again. Be careful what you wish for! I was diagnosed with breast cancer and lost all of it. I had chemo for 6 months, and it took another 3 for the hair to grow back. I have kept a very short style and the colour is great. Wouldn't go back to colouring now. I hesitate to think how much I have spent on highlights and lowlights over the years!

GrandmaMoira Thu 23-Jan-20 10:37:20

I used a semi permanent colour for years moving from mid brown to light brown. About six months ago I decided to stop colouring in the hope my hair would be white like my younger brother - I would like hair like MawB! Sadly, I am salt'n'pepper but really don't know what shade colour would suit now. My hairdresser wants to do highlights and lowlights which for me would look very false.
My skin tone has lightened a lot but don't feel faded as others say though I don't feel that the strong colours I used to wear suit any more.

frenchie3 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:37:06

You look so elegant Maw.

Jans3 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:28:16

I think grey hair is lovely if it’s an all over colour. Mine is horrible salt and pepper, so until I get a good grey shade I’m going to have to colour it. I have started having a few highlights put in, as this tones in the greys and I think looks quite natural