Gransnet forums

Chat

Another scam

(6 Posts)
tanith Tue 28-Jan-20 07:43:03

Got an email supposedly from EE my mobile firm saying they couldn’t take my payment could I please update my payment details. Just checked and they took my payment as normal in January so presume this was phishing.
Just saying.

Bathsheba Tue 28-Jan-20 08:20:12

These scams are everywhere, and you hardly need to check them as most of them are so absurdly worded. I had one recently from Netflix which told me that they'd tried to bill me but "you local bank being held a transaction". What does that even mean??? gringringrin

annsixty Tue 28-Jan-20 09:20:59

My phone contract is with 02, I had a similar e-mail twice in a few days knowing that my payment had gone out just days before.

Nannarose Tue 28-Jan-20 10:17:36

Yes, we had a call recently, from a 'detective with the Visa fraud squad', so put the phone down and checked that there was no such thing.
However, a recent call from an organisation saying that my direct debit had expired (I didn't think it had!) resulted in me putting the phone down, ringing the organisation, being kept waiting, checks being made etc - and it was genuine!

tiredoldwoman Tue 28-Jan-20 11:18:11

Yes Tanith, I got one and it put the wind up me , I nipped into my EE shop and they photographed the text and sent it to their fraud department then checked my account. My regular payment came out the next day fine .

tanith Tue 28-Jan-20 11:58:51

Oh well done tiredoldwoman I didn’t think to do that.