Gransnet forums

Chat

Gift ideas needed please

(29 Posts)
Persistentdonor Wed 29-Jan-20 08:14:05

I have been invited to the evening celebration of a friend's (3rd) wedding.

The couple have sold other properties to buy their current modern built home, which they have already been living in for several months. I am fond of her, but I have not, as yet, been invited to visit them there, despite I live only a few miles away. (I say that only to illustrate the level of friendship.)

I am retired. Income: state pension.

I would like to take a gift to the wedding, but what can I give, which won't break the budget, to the happy couple who probably have everything already? hmm

Humbertbear Wed 29-Jan-20 08:28:47

Friends of ours , who were both widowed when they met, put various board games on their wedding list. I would recommend Labyrinth which can be played and enjoyed by both children and adults. Cinema/ theatre vouchers would be a good idea otherwise a bottle of champagne or the inevitable photo frame. We went to both weddings of a young man we know but I told him he isn’t getting a third present.

Persistentdonor Wed 29-Jan-20 08:31:44

Great ideas Humbert bear. Thank you.

I did wonder about champagne but didn't know if it was an "acceptable" gift.

kittylester Wed 29-Jan-20 08:37:57

I would say a bottle of champagne too.

mumofmadboys Wed 29-Jan-20 08:39:04

Voucher for meal out?

Daisymae Wed 29-Jan-20 09:10:06

Champagne is almost always acceptable!

Riverwalk Wed 29-Jan-20 09:20:42

As it's her third wedding, you're not a very close friend and going only to the evening reception, Champagne is an ideal gift.

The OP's income is her State pension - a meal out voucher would be over the top IMO.

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Jan-20 09:22:47

I love Labyrinth - my husband hates all 3 versions!
?

shysal Wed 29-Jan-20 09:28:48

Perhaps a tasteful photo frame for this 3rd lot of wedding pictures? Wilko has a good and reasonable selection.

annep1 Wed 29-Jan-20 09:40:02

Not the "inevitable " photo frame, and vouchers would be expensive. A bottle of champagne is always welcome. There are some very reasonably priced.

shysal Wed 29-Jan-20 14:20:31

A bottle of champagne would have been most unwelcome to me!

vampirequeen Wed 29-Jan-20 17:04:24

If they have everything they need why not buy chickens or a goat on their behalf from Oxfam. It would have made me smile at my wedding if someone had done that.

H1954 Wed 29-Jan-20 17:10:44

What about a National Garden Centre voucher? Lots of garden centres sell housewares, ornaments and soft furnishings along with plants etc.

Purpledaffodil Wed 29-Jan-20 17:22:57

Wedding day rose bush? Around £20 on Amazon but probably much cheaper in garden centres.

seacliff Wed 29-Jan-20 17:37:10

Yes I was going to suggest a plant for the garden. Or even a nice big outdoor container full of spring bulbs.

rosenoir Wed 29-Jan-20 17:53:04

Champagne from Aldi £12.49, surprisingly good.

annep1 Wed 29-Jan-20 21:35:43

A bottle of champagne would have been most unwelcome to me!

Perhaps you don't drink alcohol Shysal. But for those who do its usually appreciated. It's a pretty "safe" present. I hacve older friends who have everything they want in their home as most older folk do. I always buy them wine/port for any celebratory occasion. I love getting food or wine too.

Persistentdonor Wed 29-Jan-20 23:10:30

Lots of good suggestions here.

Many thanks all. smile

Coolgran65 Thu 30-Jan-20 00:26:29

I love getting outdoor potted planters.
Or perhaps a beautiful green indoor plant.
It the champagne.

I think a picture frame could be one of many.

Coolgran65 Thu 30-Jan-20 00:27:01

Or... Not it.

notanan2 Thu 30-Jan-20 02:19:20

Even if you dont drink champagne yourself its still handy to have for guests on special ocassions or to bring with you to dos so I wouldnt worry about how much they like champagne.

Not all evening do guests bring gifts, some bring a group gift (if its a group from work, hobby or club) so a bottle is more than sufficient for an evening guest

NotAGran55 Thu 30-Jan-20 06:25:24

Not champagne or photo frames !
My sister recently married for the second time and now has 10 bottles of unwanted champagne to find homes for . Such a waste of money . Unless you know their taste a frame probably won’t suit their home .

JL vouchers are always useful which is what sister would have preferred.

notanan2 Thu 30-Jan-20 07:55:11

Vouchers are OTT for an evening guest IMO

Reason being they have to be of a significant amount in order to be usable without the couple needing to top them up.

An evening guest gift should only be a token

annep1 Thu 30-Jan-20 11:35:17

That's what I think about vouchers too Notanan

I assume you've offered to assist in disposing of the unwanted champagne Notagran. grin

phoenix Thu 30-Jan-20 13:34:09

The problem with tokens or vouchers is that it is obvious how much has been spent! I know that shouldn't matter, but.........

You could just take a card, and people will probably assume that there is a voucher tucked inside wink

However, let's face it this couple either have everything they want or need, or have the means to buy it themselves, so perhaps a pot of daffodils that could brighten the house for now, and then be planted out?